Boroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFC Boroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFC
Boroughbridge AFC Match Reports 07/08
August to December
18/08/07 - Aberford Albion 1-2 Boroughbridge AFC - League
Bridge were looking to get their 2007/08 league campaign off to a good start when they visited old adversaries Aberford Albion. They certainly started the better and created a couple of good chances before Charles Walbrook, on his West Yorkshire League debut, latched on to an incisive Danny Webster through ball to fire high into the Aberford net past a despairing Nigel Emery. This was a confidence boost for Bridge and it got better for them three minuets into the second half when Steve Tovey find himself in space in the Aberford area to calmly pass the ball by Emery for the second. This seemed to be a wake up call for Aberford and it was now their turn to assert some pressure with their reward coming on 73 minutes as Ryan Whitaker's effort was deflected into the Bridge net. Bridge coped with the expected home surge without trauma and ended the game in the ascendancy to record a thoroughly deserved victory.
Man of Match - Danny Webster
22/08/07 - Boroughbridge AFC 2-1 Ripon City - League
Bridge opened their home League campaign against newly promoted Ripon City in what was always going to be an eagerly contested local derby especially as they had lost four players to their nearest rivals in the close season. It was Bridge who opened the scoring when Micky Sellers headed home a Nathan Garnham corner and when further opportunities came and went it allowed the visitors to come more into the game. On 39 minutes, however, ex Bridge keeper, Ollie Barton came rushing out of his goal and his rash challenge on Paul Eagling resulted in a penalty, which skipper Paul Vincent coolly converted. The half time break came at the right time for the visitors and after the interval it was a very determined, invigorated side that took the field. On 57 minutes they got their reward with a well worked move finished off by Paul Abbott but despite pressing hard for the equaliser an experienced Bridge were able to hang on to the points.
Man of Match - Paul Eagling
25/08/07 - Field Sports & Social 2-0 Boroughbridge AFC - League
Bridge failed to live up to Assistant Manager's Tony Coles expectations as they went down to their first league defeat of the season to newly promoted Field. It was a makeshift Bridge side which lacked creativity and without the strike force of Uffindall and Eagling they never looked like getting anything out of the game once Field had taken a first half lead. The home side adapted the better to a poor playing surface and spurned a great opportunity to take the lead after only two minutes. This set the pattern of the half as Field dominated and caused the Bridge defence several problems but they did not get the breakthrough until the 39th minute when Michael Garnett stabbed home a corner. Things did not get any better for Bridge and Field increased their lead on 64 minutes when Hogg could only parry a Rich Dyson shot and Garnett was on hand to pass the ball home. Three minutes later Steve Coghlin pulled his shot wide from a good position and in the last few minutes Ryan Bairstow pulled off an excellent save but over the 90 minutes Bridge can have no complaints.
Man of Match - Paul Vincent
29/08/07 - Boroughbridge AFC 2-2 Sherburn White Rose - League
A bright young visiting side went ahead in the 41st minute through Adam Priestley. Bridge levelled on 72 through a Paul Vincent penalty which brought the immediate introduction of two subs. Within a minute however Lenny Mason had restored the advantage for Sherburn with Vincent coming to his side's rescue deep into injury time as he scrambled home the equaliser.
Man of Match - Paul Vincent
01/09/07 - Carlton Athletic 5-0 Boroughbridge AFC - League
After their promising start to the season Bridge slipped into the bottom half of the table following this comprehensive defeat at Carlton. Although Hogg had been the busier of the two keepers there was little to choose between the two sides until Bridge twice failed to clear a corner in the 26th minute and Col Williamson capitalised with the opener. Bridge had every reason to complain about the second on 38 minutes when John Ward appeared to trip Tovey before scoring but they were torn apart two minutes later when Williamson and Carl Fox combined for the latter to add the third. Bridge knew it was not going to be their day when Alex Green had a goal disallowed just before half time and despite a much better performance after the break Carlton completed their victory with late goals from a Paul Arkle penalty and Williamson.
Man of Match - Andy Layton
08/09/07 - Street Work Soccer 0-4 Boroughbridge AFC - League
On paper this result looks like a Bridge renaissance but don’t be fooled by the margin of victory as for long spells Bridge were given a torrid time by the previously unbeaten Street Work. Andy Layton and a Paul Vincent penalty gave Bridge a 2-0 interval lead and the home side missed some great opportunities, including a penalty, to get back into the game early in the second half. It got worse for Street Works when a mishit Walbrook shot took a vicious bounce over keeper Johnny Miah's head and their misery was compounded further when Stuart Henry added a fourth.
Man of Match - Steve Tovey
22/09/07 - Howden Clough 1-3 Boroughbridge AFC - League
Howden Clough, who were amongst the front runners last season, have made a disappointing start to this campaign which has been exacerbated by having to play all their home fixtures at other venues. Saturday saw the two teams meet at Robin Hood Athletic's ground with Bridge taking the points from an unconvincing performance. Charles Walbrook opened the scoring for Bridge after fifteen minutes when keeper Chris Simpson could only parry his first effort and Walbrook followed up to knock in the rebound. This failed to lift the game and apart from a couple of Uffindall chances neither side posed a significant threat in front of goal. The quality of play did nit improve much after the break as both sides gave the ball away cheaply and it was not until the 70minute that Bridge added their second. The move was totally out of context with the game as Danny Webster started off a series of incisive passes and ended it with a clinical finish. Ollie Uffindall, who had a frustrating afternoon in front of goal, added the third five minutes later with Dom. Verity capitalising on a Bridge error to give Howden a late consolation goal.
Man of Match - Danny Webster
29/09/07 - Boroughbridge AFC 6-0 Ossett Common Rovers - League
Both sides made a bright start to the game with the outcome probably decided in the opening 16 minutes when Bridge had opened up a two goal cushion. Paul Eagling brought a good save out of Shaun Naylor and at the other end Johnny Brundred fired over with a 25-yard free kick. The breakthrough came on 8 minutes as Mark Tyson made a telling impact on his return by outjumping Naylor to head in the opener. Scott Smith then shot just over at the other end before Eagling was brought down in the penalty area and Paul Vincent scored from the spot and again on a retake. The home side were now playing with confidence but it was not until the 41st minute that they increased their lead with arguably the goal of the game. Uffindall put Eagling away down the left and from a tight position Eagling wriggled his way past his marker to cross for the incoming Danny Webster to volley home. Early in the second half Baz O'Neill travelled from the edge of one area to the other to bring a fine save from Naylor and from the resulting corner he hit a great volley only to be denied again by the keeper. It still wasn’t' all one way as Corfield shot over and Smith brought the best out of Hogg but on 65 minutes Uffindall added Bridge's fourth when he picked up a throw in and his shot fizzed passed Naylor. Bridge's football at times was pleasing to the eye and five minutes later Uffindall and Webster combined to set up Vincent for his second with Webster again the architect as Uffindall made it six. Webster was then brought down in the box but Naylor denied Vincent his hat trick with a fine save.
Man of Match - Paul Vincent
06/10/07 - Boroughbridge AFC 2-1 Campion FC - County Cup
After a difficult opening 30 minutes Bridge responded to the onerous task of taking on the County Challenge Cup holders to record a narrow but deserved victory. Campion started confidently and their first attempt on goal came from skipper Neil Walters who shot over when well placed. Three minutes later, and very much against the run of play, Ollie Uffindall received the ball from Coghlin and from 18 yards out beat Craig Roberts with a measured drive into the bottom corner. The lead barely lasted two minutes as Chima Manondo headed home from close range following a Mick Burke corner. The visitors continued to have the better of the game and Hogg came to Bridge's rescue by pulling off a fine save as Burke cut through their rearguard. This was a possible turning point as the home side looked more assured in the last fifteen minutes of the half. Lewis Whitaker came on for the injured Coghlin after the break and the home side certainly started the better with Uffindall just off target. Paul Eagling then drifted by three Campion players but shot agonisingly wide and Uffindall and Whittaker both brought out fine saves from Roberts. With 12 minutes remaining stand in Manager Tony Coles showed his tactical nous by bringing on Ian Hughes for Andy Tringham and with his first touch Hughes swung in a superb cross which was superbly finished off by Uffindall. Campion weren't going to give up their Crown without a fight and in the last ten minutes they forced four corners but Hogg and his defence were equal to the task.
Man of Match - Steve Tovey
13/10/07 - Beeston St. Anthony's 6-1 Boroughbridge AFC - League
After the euphoria of last weekend it was back to reality as Beeston put six past them in this Premier Division encounter. Manager Daz Ekin was again faced with a string of backwords and in the end went with a half fit substitute and himself. There was little to choose between the two sides in the opening 20 minutes until a Liam Kelly free kick was deflected past Hogg. Paul Eagling then wasted a great opportunity to get Bridge back in the game and Lee Parker made them pay on 36 minutes with a simple tap in. The Bridge defence was in disarray and it got worse two minutes before the break as Rob McGuigan was left with a free header. Bridge started the second half much better but it was again a case of not taking their opportunities and when Lee Parker broke away on 64 minutes he drifted by Tovey before slotting home number four. Uffindall then produced a great save from Brendan Wood before Nicky Baldwin stabbed home number five and to add to Bridge's woes Baz O'Neill put the ball into his own net. Eight minutes from time Uffindall did manage to a consolation goal but this was a performance Bridge would want to forget. Unfortunately for Ekin it does not get any better as he goes into this weekend's tricky Whitworth Cup tie at Harlow Hill with another four players unavailable.
Man of Match - Paul Eagling
27/10/07 - Boroughbridge AFC 4-0 Sandy Lane - League Cup
In a scrappy encounter Bridge had little difficulty overcoming 1st Division Sandy Lane to secure a home tie against Premier side Rothwell Athletic in the next round of the League Challenge Cup. In the early stages both sides had posed the greatest threat from corners and it was from one such situation that Bridge took the lead on 14minutes when Uffindall headed back a Paul Eagling for Charles Walbrook to head in the opener. The visitors first shot on target was not until the 25minute and 8minutes later they found themselves further behind as Uffindall smashed the ball into the roof of the net following an excellent five man move. The second half proved to be a tussle between the Lane's keeper Josh Brookbank and Uffindall with honours ending just about even. On 64 minutes Steve Coghlin and Walbrook combined own the left and Uffindall header had goal written all over it until Brookbank produced an excellent save and the keeper denied Uffindall another header five minutes, this time, from a Darville cross. Bridge then increased their lead when Tyson broke up play in midfield and the ball found its way to Uffindall who finished with aplomb. Twice more the Lane keeper denied Uffindall before the Bridge striker had the last word as he combined with Eagling to complete his hat trick a minute from the end.
Man of Match - Ollie Uffindall
03/11/07 - East Ardsley Wanderers 1-4 Boroughbridge AFC - County Cup
This fixture was more reminiscent of their early County Cup days as Bridge knew little about their Challenge Cup opponents and arrived at their destination to find a small bobbly pitch with a pronounced slope. Playing with the slope in their favour Ardsley exerted some early pressure and Hogg was forced into action pushing away a Warren Fox effort. After this Bridge gradually began to take control and apart from a Johnny Downey free kick Hogg was rarely troubled. At the other end Chris Sparrow was forced to make a double save from Ollie Uffindall and Paul Eagling, Uffindall then headed against the bar before opening the scoring on 34 minutes after good work from Paul Vincent and Danny Webster. Vincent then blazed high and wide following a swift Bridge counter attack prior to bringing out another fine save from Sparrow just before the break. Three minutes into the second half Sparrow again denied Uffindall and Eagling in quick succession but on the second occasion the ball ran loose to Uffindall who was brought down with Vincent converting the resultant penalty. Ardsley were thrown a lifeline on 57 minutes when a Matt Bestington shot was deflected off Dan Thirkell but Bridge quickly regained the initiative and had ample opportunities to increase their lead before Uffindall converted Ben Mudd's through ball on 68 minutes. Ben Darville, who replaced the injured Paul Eagling, nearly found the next village with one effort but regained his composure to add his side's fourth on 74 minutes. Paul Howley did rattle the Bridge crossbar in the last few minutes but even taking into account some excellent saves from Sparrow, Bridge should have won more convincingly.
Man of Match - Dan Thirkell
10/11/07 - Boroughbridge AFC 3-1 Whitkirk Wanderers - League
Ollie Uffindall missed a good chance to convert a Danny Purves in the opening minutes but generally it was the visitors who held the upper hand in the early stages with Paul Wharton proving influential in midfield. Wharton, the recently transferred Craig Mudd & Phil Schooler all tested Hogg in this brief spell. Bridge then began to assert themselves in what was proving to be an open and entertaining encounter with Purves shooting over ahead of Uffindall setting up Lee Shariff for the opening goal on 16 minutes. The game continued to ebb and flow with Bridge's Baz O'Neill bringing out a good save from Matt Potter before failing with a great chance after being set up by Uffindall. On 38 minutes the home side increased their lead when Matt Potter and Dominic Moyles made a total hash of an innocuous situation to leave the predatory Uffindall with a simple tap-in. Whitkirk came out for the second half in positive mode but Bridge survived the mini onslaught despite some sloppy defending. On 73 minutes however they were caught napping by a quickly taken Mudd free kick which was converted by Marc Blowers to set up an interesting finale but it proved futile on 88 minutes when Chas Walbrook finished off a Purves cross to secure the points for the home side.
Man of Match - Danny Purves
17/11/07 - Boroughbridge AFC 1-2 Rothwell Athletic - League
Assistant Manager Tony Coles was left to chew on his indigestion tablets as bottom of the table Rothwell Athletic made him eat his words with their first league victory of the season. It was a nervy opening from the visitors but once they had taken the lead on 10 minutes when an unmarked Tom Frances headed hoe a Johnny Grayshon cross they grew in stature. Bridge did have a couple of half chances as they tried to respond but generally it was the visitors who were in control. Craig Ingham produced an excellent fingertip save from Hogg, he then shot straight at Hogg, when well placed. and Mark Tyson headed a Denis Katoro effort off the line. Bridge kept their best until a minute before the break when the ball was swept out to Andy Layton and his superb cross was headed over by Ollie Uffindall. It did not get any better for Bridge when, in the 53rd minute, they failed to clear their lines and Francis was again unmarked at the far post to head home Jarrod Wallace's cross. On the hour Andy Layton scooped over a good chance and despite Manager Daz Ekin throwing on his three substitutes two minutes later the visitors were rarely troubled. In the 90 minute Paul Eagling produced a rare piece of individual skill before slipping the ball through to Uffindall who finished with aplomb. This left Rothwell with a few nervy minutes of injury time to endure but anything other than an away victory would have been a travesty against a indifferent Bridge side.
Man of Match - Mark Tyson
24/11/07 - Knaresborough Town 0-4 Boroughbridge AFC - League
After the previous weekend results it was the home side who went into this derby clash as favourites but Bridge responded to their negative press with an inspired team performance and a deserved victory. They took the lead in the 7th minute when Ollie Uffindall picked out Charles Walbrook who drifted by his marker before drilling a low drive past Simon Old. Eight minutes later Danny Webster stunned the home crowd as he drifted on to Walbrook's flick to chip Old for number two. In a free flowing game both sides had further chances with both Old and Alastair Hogg brought into action. Hogg made an important save on 40minutes and pushed another Jared McGivern wide just after the break as 'Boro forced two quick corners. Andy Tringham responded with a long range effort for Bridge before Uffindall added Bridge's third on 55minutes with a sweet left foot shot. Twice Old denied Uffindall whilst at the other end Hogg saved well from Mark Baranovsky and McGivern. Substitute Paul Smith made an immediate impact as he combined with Andy Layton to release Uffindall and the striker's astute lob proved too good for Old. A late flurry from the home side would have proved some consolation if Dave Thomas had not shot over the bar with the goal at his mercy.
Man of Match - Andy Tringham
01/12/07 - Hatfield Main 1-2 Boroughbridge AFC - County Cup
Bridge travelled to Thorne to face Central Midlands Supreme Division side Hatfield Main in the County Challenge Cup and came away with a hard fought victory to progress to the last 16 of the competition. The day did not start well with one player's cell phone out of action and another sleeping in and it got worse five minutes into the game when young midfielder Danny Webster was whisked off to hospital following a head injury. Their luck changed on 11 minutes, however, as an attempted clearance hit Paul Eagling on the knee and looped over a despairing Neil Murray. Hatfield got back on terms on 23minutes through their leading goalscorer Kirk Frost who added to his impressive tally with a fierce shot that flew over the head of the blinded Alastair Hogg. After the break Bridge forced several corners and Ellis produce two excellent saves to deny Ollie Uffindall and Paul Eagling. The second of these resulted in an Eagling corner which Hatfield failed to clear and Uffindall and Ben Mudd were both involved before the ball eventually fell to Paul Vincent who fired Bridge back into the lead on the hour. Hatfield's first meaningful attack of the half did not come until the 64th minutes and resulted in Mattie Beck shooting wide. Bridge continued to dominate but failed to put themselves in the comfort zone and as the game became a bit scrappy Darren Brown shot high and wide for the home side and at the other end Uffindall failed to control a sublime Eagling pass which would have eased any last minute nerves.
Man of Match - Steve Tovey
08/12/07 - Boroughbridge AFC 3-3 Rothwell Athletic - League Cup - Abandoned
The only thing to spoil this enthralling encounter was the state of the Boroughbridge pitch when the referee eventually decided to call it a day after the first period of extra time. Bridge were entertaining Rothwell for the second time in a month and once more the visitors belied their lowly League position with the quality of their play. The game was only nine minutes old when Craig Ingham picked up a loose ball following poor control from Walbrook to put Johnny Grayshon clear and his first time shot gave Hogg no chance. Hogg then saved the day by saving at the feet of Grayshon when he was left exposed from a long clearance and minutes later the keeper was there again to push an Ingham effort round the post. A Rothwell defender was then lucky to see his header ricochet off his own bar but on 31 minutes Bridge levelled when Andy Hitchen got himself confused with his penalty area line and his hurried clearance was picked up by Paul Vincent who fired home from fully 40 yards. Ingham the combined with Andy Hall to again test Hogg whilst at the other end Andy Tringham fired inches wide and Baz O'Neill delayed his shot when well placed. O'Neill certainly learnt his lesson and when given an opportunity two minutes into the second half his crisp left foot shot from the edge of the box gave Hitchin no chance. It took the visitors just eight minutes to get back on terms when a incisive five man move left Ingham with a simple far post header and on 77 minutes Kevin Cawood put them in front following a corner. With no sign of the incessant rain abating and the conditions rapidly deteriorating into farcicality Andy Tringham equalised for Bridge with ten minutes remaining and right on time the state of the pitch denied Ben Darville a potential winner. Despite water standing on the pitch the game continued into extra time and Hogg produced another superb save to thwart Tom France whilst at the other end Andy Layton failed to connect with a free header. With poor light now allied to the dangerous conditions both captains in conjunction with the referee decided to call it a day.
Man of Match - Alastair Hogg
22/12/07 - Pool AFC 1-1 Boroughbridge AFC - League
On a tight home pitch both sides showed plenty of endeavour but lacked the quality to break down two resolute defences. The first real opportunity for Pool did not come until the 16th minute when Hogg denied Shaun Joyce whereas Bridge saved their best chances for late in the half. On 44minutes Ollie Uffindall rounded keeper Ed Neale only to allow a defender to get back at him and a minute later Chas Walbrook fire wide when set up by Danny Purves. The breakthrough came on 53 minutes as Bridge failed to clear a Pool corner and the ball fell kindly for Michael Jordan to score from close range. The dismissal of Chris Thompson on 65 minutes did not help Pool's cause, but with the two Grahams, Rob and Andy pivotal in defence they hung on and could have increased their lead from a breakaway ten minutes from the end. With time running out Uffindall fired over and Paul Eagling fired wide and with the game two minutes into injury time Uffindall took the ball down on his chest and struck home the sweetest of volleys which gave Neale no chance and Bridge a hard earned point.
Man of Match - Steve Tovey
29/12/07 - Boroughbridge AFC 2-8 Rothwell Athletic - League Cup
An abject home performance left Bridge embarrassed and humiliated by a team whom six weeks ago they were looking at to enhance their goal difference. Playing a 3-5-2 formation and against the wind Bridge went a goal down after only three minutes when Andy Layton missed a header and Tom France's wind assisted chip totally deceived Alastair Hogg. Chris Stephenson brought a decent save out of Andy Hitchin on 10 minutes but generally it was one way traffic as Rothwell cut through the confounded Bridge players at will. Hogg did produce two fine saves only to be beaten again on 24 minutes by Andy Maddren who brushed aside a challenge from Danny Webster to slot home. Three minutes later it got worse as Rothwell increased their lead when Hogg failed to deal with a Jarrod Wallace corner. The keeper then denied Wallace with an exceptional save five minutes before the break but a minute later the visitors cut through a static Bridge team to leave Wallace with an easy tap in. The cracks were now of cavernous proportion and on the stroke of half time Wallace completed his hat trick with a 20 yard strike that flashed by Hogg. Even though the wind abated slightly after the interval it was still Rothwell who dominated and two minutes into the half Tom France added his second and 10 minutes later Wallace added his fourth, cutting in from the left, to hit another screamer into the top corner. From Bridge's best chance of the half Uffindall produced a good save out of Hitchin before heading home a consolation goal on 77 minutes. Rothwell hadn't finished and Andy Hall converted a penalty 7 minutes from time with Ben Darville late goal of little solace to a dispirited home side.
Man of Match - Chris Stephenson
View match reports for second half of season
Official Boroughbridge AFC Club Partners 2015/16
Boroughbridge AFC
John Ellis Builders
Boroughbridge AFC
The Three Horse Shoes
Boroughbridge AFC
Reed Boardall
BOroughbridge AFC
The Black Bull Inn
The Club would like to thank all our partners and sponsors for the 15/16 season. For information on how to sponsor the Club, please see the Sponsors section.