Boroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFC Boroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFC
Boroughbridge AFC Match Reports 08/09
August to December
16/08/08 - Ripon City 0-5 Boroughbridge AFC - League
Bridge got their League campaign off to a good start with a convincing victory that will be measured in the forthcoming series of August fixtures when they tackle Knaresborough, Sherburn White Rose and Beeston who are all expected to be front runners for the League title. It took Bridge eight minutes to gain the initiative through a Paul Vincent penalty after Ben Darville was brought down and the offending Ripon player dismissed. On 20 minutes a speculative 40 yard effort from Danny Purves bamboozled Scott McCara in the home goal and the hard working Darville added a third with a 20 yard drive before the break. With plenty of vocal support Ripon did not let their heads drop despite these setbacks and it was not until the last ten minutes that Bridge added to their tally. Paul Vincent converted a second penalty following a hand ball and a goal on debut from Nick Murphy who turned his marker before firing past McCara completed the scoring. This always looked a difficult game for Bridge who were without several regulars but with Dave Burniston Ben Mudd and the veteran Steve Kirby ably supporting Mark Tyson they looked solid at the back and the front pairing of Murphy and Darville proved to be a constant menace to a hard working home defence.
Man of Match - Ben Darville
30/08/08 - Boroughbridge AFC 2-3 Beeston St. Anthony's - League
Goals conceded in stoppage time at the end of both halves condemned Boroughbridge to a third straight defeat in an incident filled game which they will feel should have been won. With Daz Ekin in charge for the first time this season, ‘Bridge should take heart though from a bright performance which on most occasions would have earned them all three points.

A brisk opening spell saw little of real danger from either side, but a great piece of opportunism after 24 minutes saw Lewis Whittaker catch Beeston keeper Codd off guard with a 30 yard volley to open the scoring, a lead which was to last only 8 minutes, Sean Jeavons driving home from 12 yards to level as the home defence failed to clear. This was immediately followed by the first controversial moment of the game. Almost from the restart, Danny Purves surged along the right wing, delivering a lovely cross which was met by Ben Darville, but he saw his header come back off the bar. The ball was played back out to Paul Eagling who made no mistake with his shot, however the referee’s assistant flagged for offside and the referee disallowed the goal. Further controversy followed as Steve Tovey was the recipient of an elbow during another attack, but the officials saw nothing, certainly not a penalty, the only punishment being a yellow card to ‘Bridge captain Paul Vincent as the arguments raged. The half was becoming indisciplined, and ‘Bridge keeper Alastair Hogg was lucky to stay on the pitch following a tussle with Brennan, both players seeing yellow but only after a long discussion by all three officials. The last meaningful action of the half was provided by Lee Parker of Beeston, who shrugged off his markers near the penalty spot to leave ‘Bridge trailing at the break.

Beeston started well at the start of the second half, Parker, Brennan and Young all having chances, but the home side were in control, and began to dominate although without reward. As it looked like time might run out, a good delivery from a left wing free kick by Marcus Philpott was flicked on by Mark Tyson and Darville drove the ball home from 6 yards to restore parity. A lengthy delay whilst Hogg received treatment ensured that the second half would be a long one, and there was enough time for another refuted penalty claim from Bridge, followed by a second yellow and red card for Beeston’s Brennan. What most would consider the turning point though came as ‘Bridge were pushing hard, as Eagling connected with a Vincent cross, but amazingly his shot blazed over from only 3 yards. He later said he believed he was being closely marked; his “marker” was in fact his team mate Darville following him in. This was in the 87th minute, and quite predictably, the action switched to the other end of the park, Beeston being awarded an injury time penalty for a handball by Philpott, Jeavons making no mistake from the spot to steal all three points.

Goals : Whittaker 24', Jeavons 32', Parker 45'+1, Darville 73', Jeavons (pen) 90'+1
Man of Match - Lewis Whittaker
06/09/08 - Aberford Albion 2-1 Boroughbridge AFC - League
Bridge should rethink the old adage of you make your luck as for the fourth consecutive match they have lost by the odd goal with a fundamental error again causing their downfall. Aberford, by contract, were looking to maintain their unbeaten start to the season and this was manifested by their confident start to the game. Twice Hogg made fine saves before being beaten on 25 minutes when a Jason Minott cross was headed home by Martin Britton. Bridge responded well and were soon back on level terms through a Paul Vincent penalty after Martin Hutchinson had been bundled over in the box. It was now Bridge who were in the ascendancy only to spurn two excellent opportunities as Paul Eagling went clear to chip the advancing Chris Barron and the bar and then on the stroke of half time Vincent shot wide from 12 yards out. The second half was a more evenly balanced affair but as the game became stretched Bridge conceded with 14 minutes left when Hogg allowed an innocuous cross from Britton to slip through his grasp. Again they tried to respond to this setback only for an excellent Barron save to deny a Marcus Philpott header in the last minute.
Man of Match - Phil Wix
13/09/08 - Boroughbridge AFC 0-2 Leeds City - League
A red card on the hour for Leeds City’s Johnny Crawley changed the course of the match but it was the visitors who profited. Already cautioned for kicking the ball away, Crawley had words with the referee’s assistant which were not appreciated and the inevitable second caution and dismissal followed. From the free kick which caused the verbal exchange, ‘Bridge lost possession and a long ball upfield found Chris Brisdale wide on the left who fired a cross goal shot from the edge of the area. Home keeper Alastair Hogg got his hands to it, but the ball squirmed loose and into the net. With the match balanced at 0-0 and barely 60 seconds from the red card incident, it was a huge boost for Leeds City and they went on to comfortably wrap up a win with a Marc Saunders strike with 15 minutes of time remaining. For Hogg it was a huge blow after a brilliant first half stop from Saunders at close range which had seemed to signal a change of luck from recent performances.

In reality the visitors were the better team for much of the match, and only in a spell towards the end of the first half did ‘Bridge look up to the task. Whilst first half chances for Ben Darville and Paul Eagling gave Daz Ekin hope at half time that his side could grab at least a point to break a miserable run of results, high flyers City were comfortable on the ball and quick thinking off it. They played with an assuredness that ‘Bridge could not live with, and Saunders and Matty Johnson had earlier chances before the deadlock was broken that could have made the win more emphatic. As it was the game was effectively over on the hour, and further attempts from Darville and Eagling were not on target and City ran down the clock without any drama. Saunders effort to wrap up the scoring was a right wing effort reminiscent of Theo Walcott’s midweek strikes for England, and ‘Bridge had no answer. A 15 minute substitute appearance from manager Daz Ekin changed little and that change is what the home side desperately need now in their next game at home to another newly promoted side, Otley Town, this Saturday at Aldborough Road.
Man of Match - Andy Layton
27/09/08 - Rothwell Athletic 3-1 Boroughbridge AFC - League
It was déjà vu for Bridge as their dismal start to the season with their sixth defeat on the trot. A lethargic first half performance allowed Rothwell to take control and with Andy Madden proving a constant handful it was no surprise when Tony France put the home side in front, heading home a Johnny Grayson corner, after only ten minutes. Bridge offered little and Rothwell increased their lead eight minutes before the break through Chris Cawood who was allowed to run from midfield before blasting the ball past Hogg. Bridge did improve after the break only to find home keeper Andy Hitchin in excellent form as he denied Paul Eagling and Martin Hutchinson respectively before Eagling got the better of him nine minutes from time. With Bridge now pushing hard for the equaliser they were caught out by a quick Rothwell break and Johnny Grayson secured the points two minutes from time.
04/10/08 - Salts FC 4-3 Boroughbridge AFC - County Cup
An indifferent second half performance after an excellent opening 45minutes proved to be Bridge's undoing as they exited the County Cup at the first hurdle. On a good playing surface and with the advantage of a strong wind Bridge got the fillip of an early breakthrough when the ball was flicked on by Paul Eagling for Marcus Philpott to volley home from the edge of the box. This was on 11 minutes and the visitors had two great opportunities to increase their lead through Paul Vincent and Philpott before the latter added his second with another clean strike that gave Ian Taylor no chance two minutes before the interval. Within seven minutes of the restart the whole complex of the game had changed as Bridge failed to clear a corner and in the ensuing scramble Lee Grice poked the ball home and then Mark Mitchell was allowed to run unchallenged from the halfway line before planting the ball firmly in Hogg's bottom corner from 20 yards out. It was now Salts who were in the ascendancy and Grice struck again on 68 minutes before completing his hat trick seven minutes from time. Martin Hutchinson did pull one back two minutes later and in a late rally Steve Tovey and Mark Tyson both failed to convert good chances leaving Bridge to rue a disappointing second half performance.
Man of Match - Martin Hutchinson
11/10/08 - Churwell Lions 2-6 Boroughbridge AFC - League Cup
After an unconvincing first half performance and a 'rocket' from Assistant Manager Tony Coles Bridge recovered from a 2-0 deficit to salvage some pride against lowly Division One side Churwell Lions in this League Cup fixture. After a sequence of defeats Bridge knew this was a potential banana skin and after only eight minutes Bridge lost possession in the Churwell half leaving Daniel Cranage to run unchallenged at the their defence before unleashing a powerful drive that gave Hogg no chance. It got worse, 25 minutes later when, Paul Eagling, tracking back, split the Bridge defence with an incisive pass gifting the dangerous Matt Buckingham a chance he wasn't going to turn down. Having reached their nadir it could only get better and 30 seconds into the second half Eagling rounded the home keeper Mike Storey to reduce the arrears and on 54 minutes he allowed the ball to drop over his right should before volleying home the equaliser with a superb left foot drive. This rocked the home side and it got worse when Marcus Philpott put Bridge in front on 65 minutes and as Churwell tired Bridge took full advantage with Philpott adding three more in the last fifteen minutes.
Man of Match - Marcus Philpott
18/10/08 - Boroughbridge AFC 4-1 Beckwithshaw Saints - Whitworth Cup
Although the scoreline suggests a comfortable Whitworth Cup victory for Bridge this was not always the case as Beckwithshaw made them work hard for the opening hour and it was only when Lewis Whittaker put his side in front that they began to dominate. After a couple of early chances went begging Saints rocked the home side on 5 minutes when Mark Tyson lost possession and Dan Ridgeway was left unchallenged to open the scoring. Marcus Philpott and Paul Eagling both had opportunities to level before a clinical Eagling finish put Bridge back on terms after only nine minutes. For the rest of the half the home side probably had the better of the chances but with the reliable Keith McKenzie supported by a resolute defence Saints did not give much away and their lively attack always proved a threat. Nothing much changed in the opening 15 minutes of the second half until, on 64 minutes, Saints were caught out by a quick Bridge break and Whittaker got on the end of Philpot's cross to put them in front. Six minutes later a Paul Vincent cross was headed back across goal by Ben Mudd for Philpott to head home and with Bridge now in control Rich Donohoe completed the scoring by volleying home the fourth three minutes from time.
Man of Match - Richard Donohoe
25/10/08 - Boroughbridge AFC 2-3 Bardsey - League
Looking to take some of the confidence gained from their recent cup games into this fixture Bridge found themselves with a mountain to climb by half time. They got off to the worst possible start as Steve Kirby's attempted clearance was knocked down by Mike Tony (many thought with his hand) who then went on unchallenged to fire past Alistair Hogg. Playing against a strong wind Bardsey seemed more comfortable with the conditions and they went further ahead on 26 minutes as an unmarked Tony Hilton headed home a Ben Grimston cross. Survival to the break was now important for Bridge but on the stroke of half time Rich Donohoe failed to deal with Steve Tovey's crossfield pass leaving Gareth Miller to add a third. An early goal was a must for Bridge and Dave Coffey obliged as he capitalised on a Chris Sinclair error to throw Bridge a lifeline three minutes into the second half. Buoyed by this early success Bridge began to pose some problems to their visitors but failed to exploit a couple of opportunities and as the game levelled out again Hogg had to produce three fines saves to prevent Bardsey increasing their lead. With time running out Jamie Thompson gave the home side a glimmer of hope with an own goal but then when Bridge had a free kick with virtually the last kick of the game they fluffed their lines.
Man of Match - Martin Hutchinson
01/11/08 - Boroughbridge AFC 2-3 Sherburn White Rose - League
Technically Sherburn may have had a slight edge on Bridge but to a neutral observer the home side were more than their equal in every other department until a dubious penalty decision changed the course of the game The first half was a competitive affair of few opportunities with Sherburn keeper Simon Hudson pleased to see a Steven Paffett effort narrowly miss the post as he scrambled across his goal. Apart from Paul Eagling being singled out for some rough treatment after the interval the pattern of the game did not change much until the 61st minute when Richard Donohoe interchanged passes with Eagling before picking out Danny Webster who gave Hudson no chance with his precise header. Marc Bradley was then denied an equaliser by a brilliant fingertip save from Alistair Hogg and six minutes later another flowing move from the home side ended with Webster volleying home a Marcus Philpott cross. Bridge seemed comfortable until the 78 minute when Bradley went down in an innocuous clash with Stuart Henry area with the only noise for a penalty coming from the referee's whistle much to the chagrin of the home support. Bradley duly converted and Bridge's luck over the season was compounded seven minutes later as an attempted clearance from Paffett skewed into his own net. The loss of two points seemed bad enough but worse was to follow as Captain Paul Vincent was sent off for an alleged elbow and 'un point' became 'nil point' as Bradley set up Alex Booth with a simple tap in two minutes from time.
Man of Match - Danny Webster
08/11/08 - Boroughbridge AFC 4-0 Carlton Athletic - League
A flattering scoreline perhaps but this was a much needed victory for Bridge after nine consecutive league defeats. There was little to choose between the teams in the opening exchanges and with the home side lacking the cohesion of the previous week it was Alastair Hogg who was first into action denying the dangerous Vernol Blair when through on goal. It was Bridge however who struck the important opener as Danny Webster swept home a flowing move involving Martin Hutchinson Paul Eagling and Rich Donohoe. Carlton's response was positive and twice more Hogg thwarted Blair which together with superb saves to deny Chris Thornton and Josh Grant gave Bridge a narrow half time lead. Twice in the early stages of the second half Carlton fluffed gilt edge chances to get back into the game and were punished on 63 minutes when Paul Vincent converted from the penalty spot after Chris Young brought down Marcus Philpott. This was where Bridge found themselves the previous week and Hogg pulled out another fine save from Mark Connor before Philpott eased the nerves with an excellent finish to a Vincent flick on 74 minutes. Three became four five minutes from time as Martin Hutchinson started a move in his own half and was there in the Carlton penalty area to give Young no chance as he volleyed Philpott's chip into the top corner.
Man of Match - Alastair Hogg
15/10/08 - Boroughbridge AFC 1-0 Knaresborough Town (a.e.t.) - Whitworth Cup
Déjà vu - 'A flattering scoreline perhaps' was how last week's report started and some could put up a similar case this week as another masterful display by Bridge's veteran keeper Alistair Hogg and an extra time goal from Olie Uffindall gave the home side an extra time Whitworth Cup victory. As early as the 5th minute Lewis Whittaker blazed over the bar with a good chance but apart from a deft Martin Hutchinson lob, saved with ease by Gareth Dight, it was Knaresborough who held the upper hand. Matty Whitehead and Jimmy Bradley both went close in the first half and Steven Paffett was in the right place to clear a Jared McGivern effort off the line. K, Boro continued to dominate possession after the break but with solid performances from Steve Tovey and Andy Layton, at the heart of the Bridge defence, chances were at a premium. Hogg pushed a Liam Gray shot over the bar with Daryl Yau heading wide for the home side and it was the injection of pace from subs Steve Davey and Chris Hastings that began to pose problems for Bridge. Davey immediately brought a fine save from Hogg and the keeper was soon in action again saving in quick succession from Whitehead and Davey. The latter had another chance in the last minute only to see the Bridge wall do its job from his free kick and the rebound fired well over the bar.

In extra time a Daryl Yau shot looked to be heading for the top corner until Dight brought out an excellent save to deny the midfielder but overall it was the visitors who seemed the more likely to break the deadlock. This, however, together with the formbook were turned upside down seven minutes from time when a superb cross from Paul Eagling found Uffindall at the back post and his superb header looped back over Dight for the winner.
Man of Match - Alastair Hogg
20/12/08 - Spa Athletic 1-2 Boroughbridge AFC - Charity Cup
Although it was 15 months behind schedule the Harrogate FA Charity Cup Final proved to be a close affair with Bridge just shading their Harrogate League opponents. Spa were certainly the more lively of the two sides in the opening stages with Bridge second best in all departments. Alastair Hogg was soon in action saving comfortably from Tom Hesketh but was beaten on 22 minutes when a poor Mark Tyson clearance was played back into the box for Jamie Land to fire home. Buoyed by their success Spa continued to push forward only to be punished by a quick Bridge break which resulted in Barry Galton pushing a left wing cross into the path of Marcus Philpott who volleyed home the equaliser. Spa still tended to hold the upper hand but some harsh words from the Manager Daz Ekin at the break certainly had some effect in the second half as Bridge were now pressing the ball more and looked like a side playing in a Cup Final. On 67 minutes a long clearance from Hogg was helped on by Martin Hutchinson to Uffindall who slipped a short pass to Philpott and he drilled home his second. Spa’s response was thwarted by pivotal performances from Steve Tovey and Hogg leaving Manager Ekin hoping the victory will galvanise Bridge for a tough second half of the season. Sponsor and Match adjudicator John Ward presented the two keepers, Alastair Hogg and Barry Galton with the MOM awards.
Man of Match - Alastair Hogg
27/12/08 - Pool AFC 0-3 Boroughbridge AFC - League
Stripped of three midfield players Bridge Manager Daz Ekin was again forced into changes but a strong defensive performance together with some clinical finishing gave his side three valuable points. Ollie Uffindall opened the scoring on 16 minutes with strike partner Marcus Philpott adding a second nine minutes later. Bridge had a few scary moments to endure before Philpott sealed the victory with his second in the last minute.
Man of Match - Alastair Hogg, Steve Paffett & Stu Henry
Official Boroughbridge AFC Club Partners 2015/16
Boroughbridge AFC
John Ellis Builders
Boroughbridge AFC
The Three Horse Shoes
Boroughbridge AFC
Reed Boardall
BOroughbridge AFC
The Black Bull Inn
The Club would like to thank all our partners and sponsors for the 15/16 season. For information on how to sponsor the Club, please see the Sponsors section.