Boroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFC Boroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFC
Boroughbridge AFC Match Reports 10/11
January to May
15/01/11 - Boroughbridge AFC 6-0 Eccleshill United Reserves - County Cup
Combining the squally conditions and the absence of a game since the 20th November it was not surprising that it took players some time to adjust but after the opening goal on 59 minutes Bridge dominated and now face a trip to Yorkshire Old Boys Premier League side Shire Academicals in the 4th round this coming Saturday kick off 1.00pm. Despite playing against a strong wind in the first half it was Bridge who enjoyed the best of the opening exchanges and chances with Paul Eagling clipping the outside of the post and Ben Jones and Ben Mudd both failing to get enough on heading opportunities provided by the speedy Chris Hastings. Little was seen of the visitors as an attacking force until the 28th minute when the skilful Ryan Wood linked up with Lewis Roberts to supply a dangerous looking cross that Keeper Alastair Hogg plucked off the head of Danny Hook and minutes later the Bridge keeper was in action again to deny Nathan Woodward’s top corner bound drive. This was Eccleshill’s best period of the half but it was their own keeper Jordan Wright who kept the scores level at the break with a fine reflex save to keep out a Jones strike. 'Bridge started the second half in explosive fashion creating chance upon chance only to be denied by some steely defending and the agile Wright pooled with some wayward finishing from the home side. This all changed within a two minute period either side of the hour mark when Mark Baranovsky rose to power home an Eagling corner and on 61 minutes Baz O’Neill got on the end of an Hastings cross to fire in the second via the post and the visiting keeper. Eccleshill threatened briefly as Hook got on the end of a Tony Kennedy cross but Hogg saved comfortably and when Hasting and Eagling combined to set up Ben Clayton for the third it was game over. Three minutes later Ben Jones finished off a Dan Clayton cross and the introduction of Tom Smith, Fraser Lancaster and Mark Burneston created further problems for a tiring defence. Lancaster was unlucky to be adjudged offside when he finished off another incisive move, Tom Smith rounded the keeper only to take the ball out of play but made amends for this just before the end when he rifled home another Hasting cross from the edge of the box. There was just time left for MOM Baz O’Neill to retrieve the ball in his own half to set up another attack and when the ball arrived in the penalty area there was O’Neill to finish the job with a clinical finish.
Man of Match - Baz O'Neill
22/01/11 - Shire Academicals 1-5 Boroughbridge AFC - County Cup
'Bridge’s trip to Shire for this 4th round County Challenge Cup tie certainly took them out of their comfort zone with no changing facilities available and evidence that the gluey sloping playing surface was an area for dog walkers did not help their preparation. They then survived an early chance before taking the lead on 3 minutes from an inswinging Dan Clayton corner that was converted by Ben Jones. The home side responded with a Gordon Love effort that skimmed the bar and minutes later Alastair Hogg made an excellent save to deny the dangerous Luke Croager. On 17 minutes Bridge gave themselves some breathing space when Shire failed to deal with a Chris Hastings cross and Baz O’Neill was on hand to convert. Eleven minutes later Shire were back in the game through Dan Morgan who nipped in front of the Bridge keeper to convert a John Child cross and this is how it stayed up to the break. Although the elements were slightly in favour of Bridge at the start of the second half it was the home side that were quickly out of the traps but any hopes they had of pulling a result out of the hat evaporated in the space of three second half minutes. The third goal came on 57 minutes from Paul Eagling who was hand to slot home after a Ben Jones deft chip came back off the bar with keeper Wayne Ruggles beaten and the keeper was left stranded shortly afterwards by a thunderous Eagling volley from fully 40 yards out. A clinical finish from Fraser Lancaster together with the loss of Shire’s danger man Luke Croager made the task even harder for the home side but to their credit they gave it their best shot throughout. Bridge’s reward for their endeavours is a trip to Carlton/Albion Sports or Bardsey in the quarter finals.
Man of Match - Paul Eagling
26/02/11 - Boroughbridge AFC 2-2 Baildon Trinity Athletic a.e.t. - League Cup
Boroughbridge win 4-3 on penalties
'Bridge only had five players in the starting line up from the original date of this tie in November and it was left to veteran keeper Alastair Hogg to conjure up the equaliser in normal time and then summon enough energy for two saves in the penalty shoot out. Bridge started the game confidently only for their early promise to fade after Mark Baranovsky shot tamely at Baildon keeper Matt Aveyard from the penalty spot. This seemed to galvanise the visitors who gained the initiative with Scott Halliday forcing a point blank save from Hogg and Andrew Radosevic and Iain Webb both skimming the bar before Radosevic gave Hogg no chance with an excellent finish three minutes before the break. Tom Smith shot straight at Aveyard from an early second half opportunity before Bridge were thrown a double life line in a crazy five minute spell. The visitors were first reduced to ten men and then Richard Donohoe compounded a defensive error by tripping up Radosevic only for Holliday to fire wide from the resultant spot kick. The introduction of Chris Hastings and Steven Paffett gave the home side more attacking options but the Baildon defence remained steadfast and when they were breached either Aveyard proved equally resolute or Bridge failed to hit the target. The game was already into injury time when a corner was half cleared to Hogg who tried to pass the ball through a ruck of players; fortunately it came back to the keeper and even though on his less trusty left foot he volleyed the ball over the despairing Aveyard for the equaliser. Brief mayhem broke out as the keeper was mobbed by the throng but their joy was short lived as Radosevic, looking suspiciously offside, broke free to round Hogg and slot the ball home in the 1st minute of extra time and the striker should have put the game to bed two minutes later as he rounded two defenders only to blaze wide with just the keeper to beat. Seven minutes later Bridge had another slice of luck when Jones went up with the Baildon keeper and his punched clearance hit the striker on the head and looped into the net. This is how it stayed and after missing the first penalty Bridge managed to claw it back leaving Baranovsky to make up for his earlier miss by striking home the winning penalty.
Man of Match - Alastair Hogg
05/03/11 - East End Park 0-3 Boroughbridge AFC - League Cup
'Bridge’s last trip to East End Park was pointless alongside a disappointing performance and after last Saturday’s lucky escape Daz Ekin was looking for some improvement from his side. The return of Paul Eagling and Danny Webster to the side was a welcome boost which together with the inclusion of Martin Hutchinson, who had been playing well in the reserves, gave cause for some optimism. Ryan Watts (BB) and Kyle Wilkinson (EEP) tested the respected keepers early on and it was Watts who was instrumental for Bridge’s breakthrough on 11 minutes. The midfielder worked his way into the box where he was adjudged to have been fouled and the referee who was less than 6 yards away had no hesitation in awarding a spot kick much to the chagrin of the home players and bench. Eagling gave Tom Clements no chance from the spot which was just the fillip Bridge needed to settle any nerves and with the pace of Tom Smith, the work rate of Ben Jones and the skill of Eagling matched by the tenacity of Clayton, Hutchinson and Watts in midfield it was the visitors who were in the ascendancy. During this period they were unlucky not to increase their lead and could have paid the price five minutes before the break when Michael Walpole picked up a misplaced Webster pass only to be thwarted by Alastair Hogg. The second half followed a similar pattern with both midfields strangling each other and when the home side did break free the new partnership of Dave Burneston and Mark Baranovsky looked solid. In the early minutes after the break an East End Park clearance was quickly returned by Dave Burneston with some height and with Clements in hasty retreat the ball went narrowly wide as the keeper clattered in to the post. For the next fifteen minutes it was East End Park who enjoyed the better of the game with Walpole and Wilkinson both going close and when Hogg was beaten Webster was on the line to prevent a Luke Coates equaliser. On 63 minutes Bridge brought on Steven Paffett for the injured Ben Clayton and three minutes they had consolidated their position when a ball over the top by Hutchinson was latched on to by Tom Smith who gave Clements no chance as he rifled the ball into the bottom corner. The home side were now forced to push forward and brought on the dangerous Liam Douglas but he was matched for pace by Mark Burneston and in the end it was the visitors who were creating the better of the opportunities. Paffett and Eagling both had chances before Bridge’s MOM Hutchinson put the game to bed from close range after Clements has spilled his initial effort. Overall this was a very good performance with all players showing character and an exceptional appetite for the job in hand which they will have to repeat this coming Saturday when they host Old Centralians in the quarter finals who had an equally stunning victory against Knaresborough in the previous round.
Man of Match - Martin Hutchinson
12/03/11 - Boroughbridge AFC 3-1 Old Centralians - League Cup
'Bridge progressed to the semi final of the West Yorkshire League Cup competition but it was not until the last ten minutes that they got the upper hand in an absorbing contest against their Division One opponents. They had opened confidently with Paul Eagling who was in the thick of the action failing to capitalise on two opportunities set up for him by Jimmy Tucknott and James McDaid respectively. Ian Taylor then saved well from McDaid and Tom Smith was off target with a header, when well placed, and after surviving half hour of sustained pressure it was the turn of the visitors to have a good spell of their own with their leading scorer Daniel Hornigould firing over and then just off target with a header to a Chris Ward cross. Centralians started off the second half in much the same vein and striker Jonathan Malkinson was denied by a desperate goal line clearance from Dave Burneston and the Bridge centre back was in action soon afterwards when the visitors strike partnership combined to release Hornigould only for the big striker to be denied by a last ditch Burneston tackle. The visitors were enjoying their best spell of the game and on 59 minutes they went ahead through Hornigould who was left with too much space (and a yard offside) but the striker did not waste his opportunity as his superb drive hit the back of the net before Hogg had chance to move. Within a couple of minutes Centralians were scrambling away another chance and there was a slight air of desperation beginning to creep into Bridge’s play before they came up with an excellent equaliser on 68 minutes. A glorious cross field ball from Mark Burneston picked out Tucknott who linked up superbly with Eagling ahead of picking out Martin Hutchinson and though Taylor saved the initial effort the Bridge midfielder reacted the quicker to knock the rebound into the top corner. The next few minutes were frenetic as Aaron Rothery pulled a fine save out of Hogg and then, under no pressure, headed over from six yards out which was followed by Eagling dragging his shot wide after creating space and time for himself. On 80 minutes another mazy Eagling run resulted in an excellent save from Taylor but from the subsequent Eagling corner McDaid took full advantage of some hesitation in the Centralians defence to sidestep two defenders before curling a sublime drive into Taylor’s top corner. Three minutes later Eagling was brought down on the corner of the box and his powerful free kick rattled the inside of the post and the net to give Bridge a two goal cushion and a place in the semi-final against Carlton Athletic or Pool. For Old Centralians it was a disappointing end to their Cup run but they can take heart from their contribution to an action packed contest played in the right spirit and well refereed by Peter Walker.
Man of Match - James McDaid
19/03/11 - Sherburn White Rose 1-0 Boroughbridge AFC - League
In many ways this was a carbon copy of the fixture played at Bridge’s Aldborough Road ground several weeks ago only on that occasion Bridge did eventually beat keeper Simon Hudson which is something they failed to do on Saturday and to add to their frustration conceded 15 minutes from time after the home side were reduced to ten men. After a scrappy opening ten minutes Bridge began to dominate the game but failed with a number of chances and the home side first opportunity did not come until the 32nd minute when the tenacious Joe Stuart headed over a Jim Jollands cross. Hudson denied Bridge on another couple of occasions before the break and it was then the turn of the Alastair Hogg to see some action three minutes in to the second half as he saved from Jollands. The familiar pattern continued of the visitors creating and missing chances which was to result in their eventual downfall when a Sherburn corner was headed home by James Middleton. Bridge had fifteen minutes to rescue themselves from their self-inflicted position but ten man Sherburn were resolute and for the second week running a Bridge team left their Finkle Hill ground pointless.
Man of Match - Mark Burneston
26/03/11 - Carlton Athletic 1-3 Boroughbridge AFC - League
Hit by suspensions and the unavailability of key players Bridge were forced to play Danny Webster and Baz O’Neill in a central defensive formation and their tentative start was not helped by a poor playing surface. Not surprisingly it was the home side who made the early running and Bridge were happy to see Danny King shoot tamely over from a good position when a Richard Dobson free kick was headed into his path. It was twenty minutes before home keeper Chris Young was brought into action as he punched away a Jimmy Tucknott cross and twelve minutes later they had their best chance of the half when James McDaid picked out Ben Jones but the Bridge forward failed to get any power into his header. With the limited goal mouth action a 0-0 interval score was fairly predictable but within five minutes of the restart Ben Clayton had one effort cleared off the line by David Ward and brought out a good save from Chris Young with his second attempt only for the Carlton keeper to have no chance on 53 minutes when he was left stranded by a Chris Hasting shot that took a wicked deflection off Stuart Walker. Bridge took some confidence form this and following a good spell they increased their lead on 74 minutes with a powerful Tucknott header to a Hastings corner and three minutes later the returning Marcus Philpott clipped a McDaid cross over the Carlton keeper for their third. This proved to be a late wake up call for the home side as King forced Hogg into action from a free kick, the Bridge keeper was then beaten by a Chris Thornton penalty on 83 minutes and was happy to see Kevin Mils fire over a minute later for the last serious action the game.
Man of Match - Baz O'Neill
30/03/11 - Kellingley Welfare 0-3 Boroughbridge AFC - League
'Bridge’s trip to Kellingley for a 6.15pm kick off presented the usual problems of availabilities and preparation time but on this occasion it has a positive outcome as there was little time to get ready and eleven minutes into the game Bridge were two goals to the good. From their first attack Bridge gained a corner which resulted in Jimmy Tucknott knocking Paul Eagling’s cross into the path of Ben Clayton and he gave home keeper Dan Clough no chance. This was in the second minute and it was not long afterwards when Eagling and Paul Beesley interchanged passes to set up Ben Jones who hammered in the second from the edge of the box. The home side were somewhat stunned and Bridge continued to create the better of the chances and it was not until the 26th minute that Kellingley had their first meaningful attempt through Andy Targett. Bridge retained their two goal cushion to the interval but after the break the home side came more into the game more and forced their visitors on to the back foot as they created a few chances of their own. Ten minutes into the second half Burneston who has recently come into the side in a defensive role was forced to take the goalkeeping mantle from Alastair Hogg and did everything asked of him as did the other sub Tom Smith who tracked back 60 yards to prevent a certain goal scoring opportunity for Calvin Waite 10 minutes from time. A goal at that time could have given Kellingley the necessary impetus but instead it was Smith showing his attacking qualities five minutes later when he linked up with Eagling and his crossfield ball allowed Chris Hastings to finish in style.
Man of Match - Ben Clayton
02/04/11 - Field Sports & Social 2-2 Boroughbridge AFC - League
'Bridge made it a respectable seven points out of nine from their last three away trips with another sound performance against a steely Fields side. Manager Daz Ekin was again pushed into enforced changes but his side started the better and James McDaid and Chris Hastings both brought fingertip saves out of Tom Metcalfe. It was against the run of play, therefore, when Kayden Jackson got the better of Mark Burneston and when his cross wasn’t cleared Joshua Milner was on hand to open the scoring. This was on 15 minutes and shortly afterwards Tom Smith got his side back on level terms giving Metcalfe no chance with a superb volley to a Chris Hastings cross. Bridge could argue that they had the better of the chances for the rest of the half but it was Joe Johnsey who put the home side back in front two minutes before the break with an almost carbon copy of their first. The second half continued in the same frenetic fashion but with Dave Burneston now looking after the dangerous Glynn Hurst, Bridge looked more secure. They had a couple of early chances before McDaid scrambled home the equaliser on 69 minutes after Steve Tovey had headed on a Hastings corner. The game could have gone either way in the last twenty minutes but in the end Bridge were happy with a point especially after a poor tackle on Marcus Philpott left the midfielder on crutches and Manager Ekin to struggle through the last ten minutes.
Man of Match - James McDaid
06/04/11 - Bardsey 1-1 Boroughbridge AFC - League
'Bridge continued their recent run of results and even though they can point to a justifiable penalty appeal that went against them, for the neutral observer, this game between two old adversaries was a credit to the standard of the West Yorkshire League. The opening exchanges were hard but fair and the passing and movement from both sets of players laid down the standards for the rest of the game which did not disappoint. Jimmy McDaid had an early shot just past the post and Paul Beesley brought a good save out of Ian Smith and at the other end a Rob Dickinson header tested Alastair Hogg. The first contentious decision was on 29 minutes when Paul Beesley had a goal disallowed for offside but both sides got back on with their game and surprisingly half time came with the scoreline still blank. Three minutes into the second half Hogg was again in action to deny Matt Carry and by the time another three minutes had elapsed Bridge had taken the lead with a clinical Beesley finish to a Paul Eagling pass. Back came Bardsey with Dickinson and Carry both going close but on 72 minutes Tom Smith was unlucky to se his tremendous drive hit the post with his namesake well beaten and minutes later he was taken out in the penalty area which, to the amazement of all but two, went unpunished. This proved harder to take for Bridge when Dickinson latched on to a Jamie Thomson through ball seven minute from time to strike home the equaliser and preserve Bardsey’s unbeaten League record for the season.
Man of Match - Paul Beesley
09/04/11 - Boroughbridge AFC 0-2 Pool AFC - League
In their dress rehearsal for Tuesday night’s League Cup semi final, minus a few regulars from both sides, Bridge understandably looked like strangers in their own back yard as this was their first home League fixture since the 30th October. They started well enough with Baz O’Neill seeing his goalbound effort cleared by Jordan Wagstaff and Ben Jones hitting the bar from a Steve Kirby free kick but the visitors had also shown their intent with the interchange and pace of their front line. Dean Wagstaff was just off target after linking up well with Tristan Holdsworth and Ryan Heap should have done better following a mix up in the home defence. Ryan Watts then fired over from Bridge’s best chance of the half and on 31minutes it was the visitors who took the lead as Charlie Oakley took advantage of another error to slide the ball past Hogg. Bridge huffed and puffed in the second half without making serious inroads to the Pool defence and their best opportunity came on 64 minutes following a corner which bobbled about in the six yard area where Watts smashed it against the crossbar before it was scrambled to safety. Four minutes later Josh Wagstaff rattled the Bridge bar and with time running out Hogg’s desperate attempt to clear the ball near the touchline resulted in a series of gaffes which left John Caddick with time and an empty net to secure the points. After their excellent performance on Wednesday this was a disappointing result for Bridge and Manager Daz Ekin will be looking for considerable improvement from his side if they are to reach their first League Cup final.
Man of Match - Ben Clayton
12/04/11 - Boroughbridge AFC 2-1 Pool AFC a.e.t. - League Cup Semi-Final
'Bridge had a much changed side for their League Cup semi final and looked like a team on a mission as the dominated the opening exchanges. Marin Hutchinson tested Pool keeper Wayne Hoban with an early volley and twice Paul Eagling failed to get any power into his shots after making good opportunities for himself. Bridge were duly punished for their profligacy on 28 minutes when Alastair Hogg came out to clear a Tristan Holdsworth through ball only to miscue his clearance and leave Dean Wagstaff with the simplest of chances. Bridge looked deflated but should have equalised within three minutes as Eagling contrived to miss an excellent chance following good work from Danny Webster and shortly before halt time the assiduous Ben Clayton was seemingly brought down in the box by Hoban and all he got for his efforts was admonishment from referee John Boucher. Disheartened but not down Bridge started the second half in similar fashion to the first and after Andy Graham missed a good early chance for Pool it was Bridge who drew level on 51minutes. Jimmy Tucknott managed to get his head to a Baz O’Neill free kick and in the ensuing scramble the ball fell kindly to Ben Jones to volley home the equaliser from close range. 15 minutes later Pool were reduced to ten men when Jordan Wagstaff inexplicably head butted Danny Webster and even though it took several minutes to stop the flow of blood and get Webster back on the field it should have been advantage to Bridge. Pool however showed their resilience and some resolute defending together with a fine display from Hoban always left them with a chance and Webster was quick enough to negate his own mistake with a last ditch tackle on Joel Edwards and two minutes from time Charlie Oakley headed wide with the goal at his mercy. In extra time Bridge again had the better of the chances as James McDaid just failed to get enough on a Chris Hastings cross and two minutes from time penalties looked a certainty as first Tom Smith was denied by Hoban in a one on one situation and Eagling then blazed over from 12 yards out. There was still time for one last effort and with a minutes to go Eagling sent in a deep corner and out of the night sky Tucknott rose to head home the winner and give Bridge a trip to Wakefield FC where they will play Otley Town in the final on the 5th May.
Man of Match - Ben Clayton & Martin Hutchinson
16/04/11 - Boroughbridge AFC 3-1 Whitkirk Wanderers - League
With relegation not an issue for either side this was anything but a tepid encounter as they both went for maximum points. Bridge enjoyed the better of the early chances but the notes read like a Grand National commentary e.g. ‘just past the post’ as in the opening half hour only Mark Baranovsky brought a save out of Dominic Ross whereas the visitors had a cutting edge to their passing and David Burneston showed his growing maturity with some timely interceptions for the home side. His defensive partner Steve Tovey also had to be alert on a couple of occasions as he cleared a Ryan Robinson effort off the line and was then on hand to sweep up after Alastair Hogg kept out a close range from Mick Elliott. Six minutes into the second half it was Dene Dewing’s turn to watch Hogg push away his effort with Burneston getting there ahead of Robinson to clear the loose ball and Elliott was barely off target with a good effort just past the hour mark. The breakthrough came on 67 minutes from a new combination to the Club this season when Jimmy Tucknott rose to glide home a superb header to a Baranovsky free kick. Bridge’s delight last only two minutes as indecision from Tovey and Mark Burneston allowed Dewing to escape into the penalty area where he skipped past brother David and fired home the equaliser from the tightest of angles. Hogg was in action again keeping out a superb Elliott volley and at the other end Baranovsky was just off target with a sighter before firing in a beauty from a Chris Hastings pass a minute later from 25 yards minimum that left Ross motionless. The visitors weren’t quite finished and seven minutes from time a mazy run from Jamie Hainsworth had Hogg at full stretch but with time almost up Paul Eagling secured the points latching on to a Danny Webster pass to fire in the third.
Man of Match - Dave Burneston
20/04/11 - Leeds City 0-0 Boroughbridge AFC - League
The final score reflects much of the game as both sides struggled to come to terms with the hard bouncy surface and generally defences dominated with Dave Burneston and Baz O’Neill again proving to be an effective, if unlikely pairing at the heart of the Bridge defence. The returning Fraser Lancaster had an effort saved by Jordan Higgins and Alastair Hogg got the better of James Hockenstrasser in a one on one which were the only chances of note in a sterile first half. Within a minute of the restart City had as couple of chances but thereafter it was déjà vu first half until the closing stages as the home side finished the stronger. Steve Clarke and Jason Miller, however, failed to make the best of the opportunities leaving Bridge the happier of the two sides.
Man of Match - Baz O'Neill
23/04/11 - Boroughbridge AFC 3-1 Ripon City - League
Ripon pulled a rabbit out of the hand with regular centre back Mark Tyson in goal and keeper Josh Donnelly on the bench which proved to be a success within five minutes as Tyson pulled out an exceptional save to keep out a Jimmy Tucknott header and followed this up by denying Chris Hastings but even he would have been helpless if Paul Eagling had been able to get a James McDaid cross on target a minute later. Ripon’s first serious foray into the Bridge half resulted a Dan Clayton free kick being floated into the Bridge box and in spite of Dave Burneston’s best efforts to clear a Tim Edney header the ball fell to Paul Abbott to ram in the opener. McDaid responded with a couple of attempts off target and on 23minutes ‘Bridge got a deserved equaliser through the effervescent Paul Beesley following good link up play between Hasting, McDaid and Eagling. The rest of the half proved somewhat frenetic with neither goal seriously threatened as both sides struggled for some semblance of control. Nine minutes into the second half Bridge got the decisive second when Baz O’Neill took the ball from the edge of his own area into the Ripon half before finding Eagling who picked out Hastings and from eight yards out he gave Tyson no chance. The Ripon keeper then pulled off another brilliant save to deny a precise Hastings lob which was quickly followed by a Beesley header bouncing to safety off the upright. As the game became stretched Ben Clayton headed off the line and Hogg produced a full length save to keep out an Edney effort as Ripon briefly threatened. For the last fifteen minutes it was Bridge who dominated with some incisive play only for Taffy Watts, Tom Smith and Beesley to miss or hit the post from some glorious chances before Beesley eased the tension with his second of the afternoon a minute into injury time.
Man of Match - Paul Beesley
28/04/11 - Boroughbridge AFC 4-1 Knaresborough Town - Whitworth Cup Final
Over the last couple of seasons it is Knaresborough who have usually come out on top against their old adversaries but on Thursday Bridge turned the tables with an emphatic victory in the Whitworth Cup Final at Harrogate Town’s ground. Both sides had early chances with the energetic Ben Clayton just off target and Steve Bromley firing over a free kick from a good position. Neither side was prepared to give an inch as interesting battles emerged all over the park both knowing the importance of the opener and when it came on the half hour mark it was well worth waiting for as Chris Hasting hit a beauty that left Lewis Mallinson motionless. K’boro’s response was immediate with Matt Duerden’s header looking goal bound until the diminutive Danny Webster headed the ball off the line to maintain their slender advantage at the break. ‘Boro had an early chance in the second half but it was Bridge who looked the sharper and the introduction of Mark Burneston for the injured Hastings nearly provided Bridge with their second as the speedy youngster left Dave Thomas in his wake as he sped away only to be denied by the agile Mallinson and when the rebound came to Ben Jones he was unlucky to see his effort hit the bar and bounce to safety. Their frustration was soon alleviated by the diligent Martin Hutchinson who swung in a superb free kick which found the head of Jones and subsequently the back of the Boro’ net. Within two minutes ‘Boro showed their resolve under Manager Brian Davey when Jared McGivern reduced the arrears with a superb strike past Alastair Hogg’s despairing dive. Game on or so it seemed until Ben Jones, who had given Duerden and Thomas a torrid time, was replaced by Fraser Lancaster, another ex ‘Boro player, and with his first touch he restored Bridge’s two goal advantage. Bridge’s elation and K’boro’s misery was compounded three minutes later when Paul Eagling danced his way through three tackles to set up Lancaster with an easy second and give Bridge their first Whitowrth Cup triumph for four years.
Man of Match - Mark Baranovsky
30/04/11 - Boroughbridge AFC 0-2 Rothwell Athletic - League
After their excellent victory on Thursday night and with a plethora of fixtures still to play a few changes were expected but this should not detract from an under par performance against a side battling against the odds to stay in the Premier Division. The opening twenty minutes were very much dominated by Bridge with Lee Wood saving well from a Dave Burneston header and a couple of efforts from Frazer Lancaster and Chris Hastings. Rothwell survived this period reasonably comfortably and became more offensive especially from dead ball situations with a Ryan Donoghue header testing Alastair Hogg, minutes later Graham McDonough rattled the bar and from another corner Steve Tovey headed off the line to keep the scores level at the break. Three minutes into the second half disaster struck for Bridge when a Matt Hale free kick from 60 yards left Hogg stranded and everybody, Rothwell included, bemused. This gave the visitors the belief they could win the game and the longer it went on the more resolute they became in contrast to a frustrated and erratic home side. Hogg denied Ryan Donoghue when a defensive error allowed the forward a clear run on goal and some dogged defending prevented the visitors increasing the lead. With twenty minutes remaining Bridge went to a back three formation and brought on Paul Scaife who had a couple of half chances but it was Donoghue that ended the contest with a clinical finish after Karl Dixon and Liam Parker linked up down an exposed Bridge left flank.
Man of Match - Chris Stephenson
02/05/11 - Pool AFC 2-1 Boroughbridge AFC - League
After Saturday’s defeat to lowly Rothwell and with Thursday night’s League Cup Final in mind together with the Club having two away fixtures on a Bank Holiday, Bridge Manager Daz Ekin was again forced into a number of changes bringing in A teamers, Chris Chapman, Wayne Fisher and Tom Hepworth to his reduced squad. Surprisingly it was Bridge who enjoyed most of the early play but similar to the pattern of recent matches they did not use the possession successfully and it was Pool who had the first meaningful effort prior to taking the lead on 14 minutes with a low drive from Tristan Holdsworth. Josh Wagstaff then rattled the post before Bridge regained a bit of composure with the lively Tom Smith having a couple of chances and bringing a good save from Andy Caine. Generally Pool looked in pretty good shape at the back until a total misunderstanding between Caine and Rob Graham gifted Chris Hastings the equaliser. Both sides had chances in the second half to put their stamp on the game but in the end it was the unfortunate Mark Baranovsky who ended the stalemate when he headed a Charlie Oakley cross into his own net and this time there was no way back for Bridge. For Bridge Chris Chapman proved effective in his role as centre back and duly came away the MOM award.
Man of Match - Chris Chapman
05/05/11 - Otley Town 1-2 Boroughbridge AFC a.e.t. - League Cup Final
'Bridge’s undulating season took another twist on Thursday night at Wakefield City’s ground when they snatched the West Yorkshire League Cup with a last minute equaliser and an extra time winner to go with their Whitworth Cup success of the previous week. In between these two finals Bridge had suffered consecutive league defeats against Rothwell and Pool respectively and their journey in the League Cup also had its up and downs with an injury time equaliser from Alastair Hogg against Baildon followed by a penalty shoot out, an emphatic victory at East End Park, a late fight back against Old Centralians and a last minute extra time winner from Jimmy Tucknott in the semi final against Pool. Otley, who had suffered a County Challenge Cup tie defeat to Bay Athletic, were already on the park when Bridge arrived and they were quickly out of the blocks at the start of the game. Twice in the space of the opening five minutes Luke Danskin had good opportunities only to be denied by the post on the second occasion but it was Bridge who had the best chance on 25 minutes when Jimmy McDaid was put in the clear by Baz O’Neill but hit the post with only keeper Gavin Phillis to beat. Both sides were giving little away until the 38 minute when Jimmy Tucknott fouled Scott Cater in the box and the hardest decision for the referee was to find the penalty spot which was duly completed by Chris Davey to give his side the half time advantage. Phillis was the busy of the two keepers in the second half puyshing away efforts from Ben Clayton and Chris Hastings with Alastair Hogg saving comfortably from Cater and then seeing his next effort glance the bar. As time ebbed away Bridge cranked up the pace for one last push but with Ben Jones just wide and a Dave Burneston header cleared off the line all seemed lost until the mercurial Paul Eagling fired in the equaliser in injury time. A serious facial injury to Tom Smith forced Manager Daz Ekin to bring on Mark Burneston as his final substitution which proved to be the Midas touch when five minutes into extra time the youngster latched on to a Jones pass to put Bridge ahead. Otley were now struggling to get a hold on the game but they still had time for one last opportunity which came three minutes from the end only for Captain Hogg to produce the save of the night to deny Cater’s fierce drive.
Man of Match - Ben Clayton
07/05/11 - Boroughbridge AFC 3-1 Altofts - League
After the highs of Thursday it was back to the bread and butter stuff of the League where Bridge were forced to dig in and grind out a result following a series of mishaps against their mid table opponents. Alastair Hogg was in early action saving well from Tom Brook before Bridge took the lead on 11 minutes when a Martin Hutchinson effort rebounded to Chris Hastings who hit a stunning volley to beat visiting keeper Matthew Wright. This early fillip was blown away five minutes later as Hogg dropped an innocuous cross from Reece Whittam to leave Jamie Lister with an easy tap in. Without five of the squad involved on Thursday night Ekin had brought in A team Player Manager into his defence and what a crazy five minute first half spell he had with a well taken goal being disallowed, a clash of heads with Dave Burneston which resulted in the seven stitches for his co defender and he was then on hand to block a goal bound Rhyan Whittam effort. On 29 minutes Hogg injured himself in making another save and despite prolonged treatment from ‘Dr Rob’ he was unable to continue after the break necessitating Wayne Fisher, who had replaced Burneston, to now take over with the gloves and Mr Ekin to exit his seat on the bench . The visitors sensed the opportunity to take the points and Fisher was forced into a couple of saves and Dan Webster cleared another effort of the goal line but the best opportunity fell to the usually reliable Tom Brook who failed to find the target when he was put clear with only the keeper to beat. On 75 minutes it was Bridge’s turn for a bit of good fortune when a Mark Baranovsky free kick was laid back by Baz O’Neill to Hutchinson and his superb volley took a slight deflection to deceive Wright for their second. Luck certainly wasn’t on Paul Eagling’s side when his shot, from a Hastings pass, hit the post but a minute from time Ekin was dragged down after he strayed into the penalty area and Eagling was able to wrap up the points from the spot.
Man of Match - Ben Clayton
11/05/11 - Knaresborough Town 3-4 Boroughbridge AFC - League
Two weeks after meeting in the Whitworth Cup these two arch rivals were in League action and from the off Knaresborough had Bridge on the back foot with their tenacious insightful football. It was no more than they deserved when Steve Bromley fired home a low drive on 15 minutes and five later from a slighter closer position he slotted home the second. The home side and their supporters were buoyed by this excellent start and they looked likely to go on and win convincingly but Bridge have become a more resilient side of late and on 32 minutes they reduced the arrears through Paul Beesley with a well executed free kick from just outside the penalty area. Within a minute Matt Duerden missed the opportunity to restore the two goal cushion with a free header which was pivotal as it was the visitors who now had the impetus. Two minutes before the break Bridge were back on level terms from a Paul Eagling penalty after a foul on Beesley and the home side were fortunate not to concede another for a more blatant trip on Ben Clayton. K’boro regained the initiative seven minutes into the second half through Baz Littlefair only for Bridge to have a little bit of luck when Dave Thomas sliced a Baz O’Neill cross past James Stratton and Jimmy Tucknott was on hand to claim the last touch. Within a minute, following an injury to keeper Paul Diamond, Bridge had to call on the services of Chris Chapman to take over the gloves and the A team midfielder did not let them down, handling confidently everything that came his way and tipping an effort from Jared McGivern over the bar. The decisive goal came eleven minutes from time with a crossfield ball from Tucknott that found Eagling who got down the right before putting a superb cross that was expertly finished by Beesley. Excluding a Matt Duerden header that rattled the bar Bridge managed to survive the last ten minutes with another excellent team performance where all squad members contributed to the result.
Man of Match - Paul Beesley
14/05/11 - Whitkirk Wanderers 7-0 Boroughbridge AFC - League
Elation to frustration to despair & humiliation must have been some of the emotions the Bridge players felt as they suffered their worst defeat for several years at the hands of lowly placed Whitkirk. The game was only minutes old when a poor defensive header fell into the path of Glenn Wood for the opener and when Chris Chapman left Paul Diamond short with a headed back pass Wood was again on hand for the second. Bridge had come back from this position again Knaresborough three nights earlier but a second half brace from Ryan Robinson put paid to this and worse was to come. On 88 minutes substitute Rob Graham got in on the act with his first of the afternoon and as Bridge disintegrated he grabbed his hat trick in injury time. Jimmy McDaid worked tirelessly for Bridge and deservedly got the man of the match award.
Man of Match - James McDaid
16/05/11 - Otley Town 3-2 Boroughbridge AFC - League
'Bridge were back in action again 48 hours later with another much changed squad but on this occasion they could point to their inability to convert chances for the loss as they missed at least three one on one situations to seal the points. Paul Eagling had given Bridge an early half time lead and despite missing other opportunities they had looked pretty comfortable. Otley levelled through Andy Crowther shortly after the interval but on the hour mark Eagling gave Gavin Phillis no chance putting his side back in front from the penalty spot. In the last thirty minutes Bridge failed to convert at least three gilt edged chances and Andy Crowther made them pay the price with a brace in the closing quarter of the game.
Man of Match - Paul Eagling
21/05/11 - Boroughbridge AFC 4-2 Field Sports & Social - League
The visitors got off to a great start when Glynn Hirst took advantage of some defensive uncertainty to put them ahead on four minutes and only a David Burneston goal line clearance prevented Joe Johnsey increasing their advantage as Field dominated the early stages. Bridge looked disorganised and got back into the game following a poor clearance from keeper Tom Metcalfe which was picked up by Paul Eagling to Frazer Lancaster who set up Steven Coles for the equaliser. The home side continued to look out of sorts and twice in the space of three minutes Kayden Jackson missed good opportunities to put the visitors back in front but Eagling also created an excellent chance for himself only to shoot over the bar after his mazy dribble left four defenders in his wake. Whatever the content of the half time drinks or team talk there was an immediate effect with four goals in the opening seven minutes with Bridge taking the initiative with three of them. On 47 minutes Mark Baranovsky played a ball into Paul Scaife and his first contribution was to set up Ben Clayton whose effort ricocheted twice off the underside of the bar before entering the goal. Bridge’s joy was short lived with Field equalising within a minute as Hirst drifted in from the left and unleashed a right foot drive into the top corner that gave Paul Diamond no chance. Scaife’s next involvement was to put Bridge back in front with a well placed shot from the edge of the box and on 52 minutes Lancaster headed down a Baranovsky free kick which Scaife chested down and completed the goal fest with a deft volley.
Man of Match - Stephen Coles
23/05/11 - Boroughbridge AFC 0-2 Carlton Athletic - League
'Bridge hopes of finishing the season on a high were dissipated by an incisive Carlton side who thoroughly deserved their victory. The home side started on a positive note as Tom Smith rattled the post with keeper Jamie Abbott well beaten and a minute later Paul Eagling fired wide from another well worked move. Having absorbed the early pressure it was Carlton who gradually came more into the game with their passing and movement off the ball resulting in their opening goal on 29 minutes from Danny Bray. It was Bridge who were now struggling to get a grip on the game and it got worse for them on 36 minutes when Danny King added a second and they even had a couple of chances to increase their advantage before the break. Carlton continued to have the better of things after the break and there was just the opportunity on 51 minutes for Alastair Hogg to produce a point blank save before he hung up his gloves at this level and handed over to his understudy for the last 18 months Paul Diamond. Bridge did up their game for the last 25 minutes only to see Jimmy Tucknott just off target as he closed down an attempted clearance and other attempts from Baz O’Neill and Paul Scaife were comfortably pouched by Abbott to leave them mid table but with two notable cup successes under their belts.
Man of Match - Dave Burneston
Official Boroughbridge AFC Club Partners 2015/16
Boroughbridge AFC
John Ellis Builders
Boroughbridge AFC
The Three Horse Shoes
Boroughbridge AFC
Reed Boardall
BOroughbridge AFC
The Black Bull Inn
The Club would like to thank all our partners and sponsors for the 15/16 season. For information on how to sponsor the Club, please see the Sponsors section.