Boroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFC Boroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFC
Boroughbridge AFC 'A' Match Reports 10/11
August to December
28/08/10 - Boroughbridge AFC 'A' vs. Pool AFC 'A' - League - Abandoned
The the A team opened their programme a day after the Sunday side with a home fixture against Pool A but after taking a comfortable 2-0 lead with goals from Player Manager Chris Chapman the game had to be abandoned on 33 minutes following a serious injury to a Pool player.
11/09/10 - Beckwithshaw Saints Res 1-2 Boroughbridge AFC 'A' - League
Bridge came from behind to secure their first victory of the season with a late Liam Bannard goal. After an evenly balanced opening it was Bridge who began to exert some pressure only to pay the price for some missed chances when a ‘Shaw break resulted in Ben Lambert firing in the opening goal five minutes before the interval. Bridge had to dig in at times but also played some good attacking football and a well taken Josh Spenser-Blanchard goal on 58 minutes was fair reward for their efforts. As both sides searched for the winner Lee Dearden denied Scot Harrison when he was through on goal which was to prove pivotal on 86 minutes when Bannard broke from the half way line to smash the ball into the bottom corner of Keith McKenzie’s goal from just inside the penalty area.
Man of Match - Liam Bannard
18/09/10 - Boroughbridge AFC 'A' 2-4 Bedale Res - League
With their 1st team game postponed the visitors did not have any selection problems which was mirrored in a proficient all round performance. They took the lead on 12 minutes through Callum Fletcher and enjoyed a lot of pressure in the opening 30 minutes. A left foot drive from Wayne Fisher was comfortably held by Adam Pearson as the home side came more into the game and Joe Turner wasted an excellent chance to get them back on level terms when he shot tamely wide from the penalty spot. Their equaliser came on the stroke of half time from a Chris Chapman effort that took a wicked deflection past keeper Pearson but after the interval some clinical finishing from Stuart Adams, Fletcher and Adam Woodward put Bedale in control. Player Manager Chapman pulled one back 15 minutes from time and a close range header from Turner rattled the bar to keep the visitors on their toes and finish the game with no further alarms.
Man of Match - Sam Everard
25/09/10 - Harlow Hill Res 1-3 Boroughbridge AFC 'A' - League
Bridge welcomed back Mark Burniston along with Jake and Luke Fletcher from their cricketing exploits and all made valuable contributions in their first victory at Harlow Hill for several years. Bridge got off to a bright start and took a deserved, even if fortuitous lead, on 19 minutes when Burniston (Mark) optimistically chased a long clearance, closing down keeper Tony Diver’s space in the process and leaving himself with an open goal when the ball rebounded off him. Bridge took this momentum into the half time break but Assistant Manager Craig Kitching’s words of ‘maintaining concentration’ were not heeded and five minutes into the second half Harlow drew level through Steve Kilroy who was on hand to slot home after Johnny Hewison’s initial effort was blocked. This swung the balance of play the way of the home side until the introduction of Luke Fletcher, to partner his brother up front, just past the hour mark. Within three minutes of coming on Fletcher got his debut goal for the Club as he got on the end of a Wayne Fisher cross cum shot and five minutes from time he was on hand again when Chris Wood put in a gem of cross after combining with Scott Barnes. Although a comparatively young side most of the players have at least a year of Senior football behind them which should stand them in good stead for the rest of the season.
Man of Match - Mark Burneston
09/10/10 - Boroughbridge AFC 'A' 1-2 Knaresborough Celtic - League Cup
Although there are two divisions separating these two sides this certainly wasn’t evident on the day as Bridge pushed their Premier Division opponents all the way in an uncompromising League Challenge Cup encounter. Celtic who have conceded a raft of goals over recent weeks were able to call on the services of Knaresborough’s Rob Ellerker to bolster their defence and with the respective Captains Chris Chapman and Eddie Southcott unyielding in midfield there was little to choose between the two sides. Sean Mallon eventually got the breakthrough for the visitors two minutes before half time and after the interval it was Bridge who were pushing for an equaliser with Celtic threatening on the break. Jake Fletcher probing runs looked the likely source of a Bridge goal but it was a push that produced the equaliser with Jo Turner beating Matt Butler from the resultant penalty. It was stick or twist time for Bridge and their decision to push for the winner proved to be their downfall when John Chambers escaped three attempted tackles to score the in the second minute of injury time.
Man of Match - Sam Everard
16/10/10 - Boroughbridge AFC 'A' 2-1 Pannal Sports Res - League
Some inspired substitutions enabled Bridge to come from behind with two late second half goals to overcome Pannal Sports in this scrappy, at times, fractious affair. Bridge were looking to build on their excellent effort from last week but it was the visitors who started the better with some neat passing moves leaving the home sides to rely on the safe hands of Lee Dearden and some resolute defending from Dave Burniston and the returning Steven Paffett to stem the tide. As Bridge came more into the game Jake Fletcher had an effort cleared off the line and soon afterwards an excellent 50 yard pass from Scott Barnes picked out birthday boy Mark Burniston who was unlucky to see his effort strike the post and bounce to safety. With half time approaching Pannal got a lucky break when a Tom Carr shot was deflected into the path of Harvey Lewis who hammered the ball past Dearden from 10 yards out. On the back of the goal the visitors started off the second half as they had done the first but were to regret two gilt edged chances that went begging during this period of pressure. In contrast Bridge had shown little in terms of a threat on Chris Hallsworth’s goal but this was to change following the introduction of Luke Fletcher and Alex Coombes when the latter put in an astute left wing cross for Fletcher (L) to head home. This was just the fillip Bridge needed and eight minutes from time it was the turn of brother Jake to get on the score sheet when he cut in from the left and his shot took a deflection that left keeper Hallsworth stranded.
Man of Match - Steve Paffett
23/10/10 - Burley Trojans Res 1-3 Boroughbridge AFC 'A' - Alverton Trophy
‘Bridge travelled to Burley for this first round Alverton Trophy match confident in the knowledge that they had a strong squad. Both sides started well but it was the home side that started the best and were immediately on the attack looking for an early goal to suppress the visitors. They almost got just that after a mere five minutes when ‘Bridge were nearly left exposed at the far post and Jo Turner was called upon to make a clearance off the line. ‘Bridge didn’t let that faze them, however, and were straight on the attack, pushing forward, also in search of an early goal. Unlike the home side, they would get what they were looking for after Mark Burniston’s cross on seven minutes sailed into the Burley box and to the feet of Jake Fletcher who made no mistake putting his team a goal to the good. From this moment, the game turned in ‘Bridge’s favour and Turner was allowed considerable space on 14 minutes, getting his shot away, only to see it go wide. Whilst the away side looked good in attack, the home side were also manufacturing some chances with some good counter-attacking runs and the ‘Bridge defence was almost opened up by Kristian Mazurke on 20 minutes and later by brother and captain Gerald on the half hour mark, both of whom failed to trouble James Cooper in the visitors’ goal, although it could be argued that the latter shot should have given Cooper something to think about given the close proximity to the goal line. The game continued to ebb and flow and the traveling contingent thought their side had doubled their lead on 33 minutes after Jake Fletcher’s long range shot dipped over the back-pedaling Tim Fendyke in the Burley goal only to hit the crossbar. The ‘Bridge scorer’s brother and strike partner Luke had the next chance but could only put his effort over the bar after an incisive Chris Chapman pass had opened up the Burley defence. Burley almost had the last say of the first half, however, but Matt Holmes put his shot well over the bar. ‘Bridge convened at half time feeling slightly unlucky not to have had another goal but nevertheless feeling happy with their half’s work. They came straight out of the blocks in the second half, picking up where they left off and Luke Fletcher forced Fendyke to make a save after just three minutes of play. From here, however, the game began to even out with Burley’s game picking up slightly and ‘Bridge’s dipping slightly. What looked to be a fairly simple headed clearance turned into a nightmare for the visitors a minute after the hour mark when the header was directed back towards rather than away from the ‘Bridge goal and Cooper was forced to make a fine save to prevent the own goal. Steve Fozard was, however, on hand and capitalised on defensive indifference to restore parity, firing the ball past a diving Cooper. Hence followed a quiet period of the match with both defences working well to stop any advances. That was until 73 minutes when Mark Burniston struck a perfectly weighted cross into the Burley area for Jo Turner to head past the advancing Fendyke, much to the jubilation of the visiting team. Burley would have their last real chance six minutes later but Dominic Grimes skied his shot and the game would be put past his side on 81 minutes when Jake Fletcher broke and slotted the ball past Fendyke for his second of the match. Jo Turner had a chance to make it four on 86 minutes but put his shot from close range over the crossbar. As the final whistle went ‘Bridge were left to reflect on a fine team performance against a battling Burley side and look ahead to the next round of the competition.
Man of Match - Dave Burneston
06/11/10 - Burley Trojans Res 4-3 Boroughbridge AFC 'A' - League
‘Bridge’s preparation for this Harrogate & District League encounter was far from ideal with several key players missing and a number more getting lost en route to Burley and arriving late. The pre-match saga continued when it became clear the home side were unaware of the post-October change in kick-off times, resulting in a slightly delayed kick-off. When the match finally did kick off ‘Bridge were looking to pick up where they left off last time out on this pitch just two week previous, and it must be argued that to a certain extent they achieved just that. Both teams started brightly but it was to be ‘Bridge who had the first two real attempts on goal, Alex Coombes putting his header on target in the eighth minute and Jake Fletcher firing just wide of the right hand post a mere three minutes later. With the home side attacking just as well as the visitors, their first attempt on goal was inevitable and it came in the form of Lee McGeonn’s shot on 13 minutes which went just wide of the right hand post. Next was ‘Bridge’s turn to go back on the attack, and they broke the deadlock on 17 minutes when manager Chris Chapman headed home Mark Burniston’s free kick. It took just three minutes for the Chapman-Burniston combination to strike again, Chapman again heading home, this time from a Burniston corner, much to the delight of their ‘Bridge team mates. The goal shifted the momentum in the visitors’ direction with the Fletcher brother strike partnership mounting wave after wave of attacks and Burniston pushing forward with a series of incisive runs. That was until the 26th minute when the referee awarded Burley a controversial penalty following a tackle by Scott Barnes on Lee McGeonn which left the ‘Bridge bench fuming. Gerrard Mazurke stepped up and converted the penalty in what would turn out to be a key moment in the game. The momentum which had been firmly with the visitors following the Chapman brace now shifted and McGeonn had the chance to restore parity on 32 minutes but his free kick from just outside the area slammed into the ‘Bridge wall. Edward Bryan of the home side had the next chance but could only direct his header weakly at the visiting ‘keeper Lee Dearden. Visiting manager Chapman would have hoped that his skied hat-trick attempt on 41 minutes would be the last major action of the half, but Gerrard Mazurke had other ideas, capitalising on defensive indifference to draw his team level with half time a mere minute away. The goal would turn out to be decisive for the visitors who had fifteen minutes at half time to reflect on a goal they shouldn’t really have conceded. Perhaps predictably it was the home side who started the second half the brightest and Kristen Mazurke had the chance to give his side the lead two minutes in, firing wide when through on goal. He would make no mistake five minutes later, however, sending a real message to a once confident ‘Bridge side who once again could perhaps have done better in defence. That message did get through to the visitors though and Scott Barnes mounted a superb run down the left on 53 minutes, only to see his cross gathered by Shane Etherington in the Burley goal. Unperturbed, Barnes set off on another run a minute later and was unlucky not to turn provider when newly introduced Paul Scaife could only direct his cross at the ‘keeper. Scaife again had the chance to get his team back in the game on 57 minutes, beating the offside trap but firing wide of the target. The game settled down for the first time following this with the next shot on goal not coming for another 12 minutes. Burley ‘keeper Etherington had to work to keep his side in it when that shot did come, parrying and then gathering Alex Coombes’ attempt. ‘Bridge continued to have hope until Kristen Mazurke joined his brother on the two goals mark on 76 minutes following a Sam Everard error and Mazurke then had the chance to bag his hat-trick six minutes from the end, shooting directly at Lee Dearden when through on goal. A Chris Wood goal on 88 minutes set up a thrilling final few minutes of ‘Bridge pressure but Burley would hold out to take three points which once looked to be headed to their opponents.
Man of Match - Chris Chapman & Mark Burneston
13/11/10 - Bedale Res 2-1 Boroughbridge AFC 'A' - League
Bridge were always playing catch up after Chris Garbutt gave promoting chasing Bedale the lead on 25 minutes. Garbutt added a second ten minutes into the second half and even though Jo Turner reduced the deficit three minutes later Bridge’s cause was not helped by the dismissal of David Burneston for two bookable offences.
Man of Match - Sam Everard & Mark Burneston
2011/10 - Boroughbridge AFC 'A' 1-2 Ripon Red Arrows - League
On a couple of occasions this game threatened to boil over following, in the first instance, an over zealous tackle and then an unsavoury spitting incident which occurred outside the referee’s vision and therefore went unpunished but for the rest of the time the game was competitive between two evenly matched teams. Goals from Ben Beadle and Jamie Thomas penalty put Arrows in a comfortable position but it was their keeper Michael Farrell who kept them in control with some excellent saves. An 85 minute penalty converted by Steven Paffett did cause some consternation for the visitors which was manifested by the jubilant celebrations at the final whistle.
Man of Match - Barry Pryce & Steve Paffett
Official Boroughbridge AFC Club Partners 2015/16
Boroughbridge AFC
John Ellis Builders
Boroughbridge AFC
The Three Horse Shoes
Boroughbridge AFC
Reed Boardall
BOroughbridge AFC
The Black Bull Inn
The Club would like to thank all our partners and sponsors for the 15/16 season. For information on how to sponsor the Club, please see the Sponsors section.