Boroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFC Boroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFC
Boroughbridge AFC Match Reports 11/12
January to May
07/01/12 - Boroughbridge AFC 2-0 Sherburn White Rose - League
After working hard in the close season to strengthen his squad Manager Daz Ekin went into the New Year knowing he had lost Paul Beesley and Dan Clayton to Harrogate Town and Northallerton respectively alongside long terms absentees Baz O’Neill, Tom Hesketh, Matt Whitehead and his Captain & talisman Paul Eagling. He was therefore pleased to welcome back Ben Clayton, Martin Hutchinson and Mark Burniston for this encounter against fellow strugglers Sherburn with the visitors starting the brighter of the two sides forcing Paul Diamond into action after only two minutes to deny Scott Williams. Bridge looked a side lacking in confidence and apart from a few corners they gave keeper Simon Hudson a trouble free half as they struggled to find any sort of rhythm to their game. Their situation was exacerbated by injuries to Ollie Uffindall and Ben Mudd allowing Sherburn to get the upper hand and they finished the half the stronger as Jamie Middleton flashed a 35 yard drive past the post and Diamond produced a great save to keep out a Williams free kick. The opening fifteen minutes of the second half saw little improvement with play fragmented by combative midfields restricting both sides to long range shots which were either off target or unlikely to bother the respective keepers. On 61 minutes Mark Burniston had a shot blocked and cleared and minutes later brother David’s defensive clearance found Ben Jones who was able to round the advancing Hudson and fire in the opener from 18 yards. This was just the fillip Bridge needed but within a minute it could have all changed if Diamond had not come out on top in a one on one situation with Calvin Waite. Play certainly opened up after this with Bridge forcing a succession of corners only to find Williams forcing Diamond to save from a quick Sherburn break which was followed by Hudson going full stretch to keep out a Ben Clayton effort. This was arguably Bridge’s best move of the game and in injury time they put the points to bed as Clayton, Hutchinson and Lancaster all linked up play with the latter picking out Jones to head home Bridge’s second.
Man of Match - Lee Parker
21/01/12 - Pool AFC 2-1 Boroughbridge AFC - League
Pool completed a double over Bridge in conditions made farcical by a gale force wind and a deteriorating pitch. The home side went ahead from a direct Scott Firth corner on 30 minutes with the equaliser, three minutes, into the second half, coming in bizarre circumstances as Rob Graham’s punted clearance was caught by the wind and ended up bouncing over the advancing Andy Caine into the Pool net. Chances came and went for both sides before a long throw was allowed to bounce twice in the Bridge box and first to react was Josh Waite who swept home from 15 yards out.
Man of Match - Martin Hutchinson
28/01/12 - Wyke Wanderers 3-4 Boroughbridge AFC - League Cup
This League Cup tie at Wyke was a topsy turvy affair before the game had even kicked off with Bridge being informed on Friday that the match was very doubtful and it was not until 2 hours before kick off and two pitch inspections that they got the okay to travel. Three minutes into the game Bridge probably wished the game had been postponed as some schoolboy defending gifted Wyke, who have a good home record, a two goal lead. In the 1st minute Bridge lost possession from their free kick to leave Josh Brough to open the scoring and two minutes later leading scorer Karl Fawcett outpaced Mark Burniston to hit home number two. The holders looked bemused and on their way out but on an increasingly difficult playing surface they bounced back to provide an enthralling cup encounter. Mark Baranovsky reduced the deficit on 21 minutes with a cross shot that looped over keeper Ben Sharp only for Burniston to concede a penalty ten minutes before the break but in the muddy conditions Paul Diamond guessed the right way to safely pouch Fawcett’s spot kick. Six minutes into the second half it was Bridge’s turn to try from the spot after Tom Smith was brought down and Baranovsky grabbed a rare brace hammering home the equaliser. Brough and Fawcett continued to prove a constant threat but it was Ben Clayton who had the next best opportunity firing tamely at Sharp. With both sides battling the deteriorating conditions it was the home side who struck the next blow with a superb strike from Mattie Conway following a short corner. Again Bridge battled back with Fraser Lancaster linking play with Martin Hutchinson who then released Smith to cut inside his defender and shoot across Sharp into the bottom corner. After their disastrous start to the game a place in the last eight now looked a possibility and as both sides tired the indefatigable Ben Clayton produced an absolute screamer with four minutes remaining to give Bridge victory in a riveting cup tie.
Man of Match - Ben Clayton & Martin Hutchinson
18/02/12 - Boroughbridge AFC 2-0 Wetherby Athletic - League
Victory rather than performance was the key as only a point separated old adversaries Bridge & Wetherby which was probably as well as neither side mastered the windy conditions with an improved second half display giving Bridge the edge. Returning talisman Paul Eagling shot wide from a Ben Clayton pass and Wetherby had a strong shout for a penalty but opportunities were at a premium and it was 20 minutes before either keeper was brought into serious action with Tom Carlisle pouching a Fraser Lancaster effort. Seven minutes later ‘Bridge took the lead with a good finish from Ben Jones after he was put in by Eagling and shortly afterwards Martin Hutchinson had a shot tipped over. It was the visitors, however, who finished a disappointing half the stronger only for Daniel Allanby and Brian Blewitt to miss the target with a couple of chances. Bridge did get better after the break and Eagling missed another opportunity when clear on goal which may have settled the game down but instead it became increasingly fractious with a particularly unsavoury tackle on Chris Stephenson leading to his enforced departure. For the most part Wetherby used the long ball from Carlisle to bomb the Bridge goal only to find the Bridge defence unyielding and centre back David Burniston in majestic form and seven minutes from time a second goal secured the points. A cross from Ben Jones found Clayton who linked up with Eagling and this time the striker made no mistake in scoring his first league goal in open play this season.
Man of Match - Dave Burniston
25/02/12 - Leeds City 2-1 Boroughbridge AFC - League
On a dry surface exacerbated by the windy conditions both sides started the game at high pace and it was poor control on 11 minutes that conceded possession with Joe Dixon’s cross shot flying over Paul Diamond’s head. Bridge had the chance to get back on terms within three minutes as Tom Smith released Ben Jones only for the striker to have his shot blocked by keeper Andy Doey. A Ben Clayton header from a Martin Hutchinson corner was then cleared off the line as was a Dave Burniston shot maintaining the home side’s advantage at the break. In the second period City went to a 4-5-1 formation restricting Bridge’s efforts to half chances for Clayton, Burniston and Paul Eagling before more poor defending, this time from a corner, allowed Charles Lumley to consolidate their position. Bridge were thrown a lifeline five minutes from time and when Doey made a great save from an Eagling penalty it was Fraser Lancaster who reacted the quickest to reduce the deficit but City hung on to their excellent record against the visitors.
Man of Match - Martin Hutchinson
03/03/12 - Boroughbridge AFC 2-0 East End Park - League
The departure of ex captains Ben Clayton and Dave Burniston to Selby Town left Bridge somewhat decimated which manifested itself particularly in the opening thirty minutes when Bridge hardly ventured into the visitors half. East End Park failed to take advantage as a good strike from Jonathan Dockerty flew over the bar and Gareth Mitchell fire wide when unmarked, both chances coming in the opening fifteen minutes. Play became a bit frenetic after this as Bridge coming more into the game but it was the 31st minute before they seriously threatened Tom Clements goal with Paul Eagling just off target as he latched on to a through ball from Chris Stephenson. and Bridge struck first through a smart finish seven minutes before the break. Seven minutes later Bridge struck the vital opener with a smart finish from Fraser Lancaster who controlled an Eagling cross to fire on the turn past Clements. This buoyed their confidence and just before the hour mark Ben Jones consolidated their position redirecting a Paul Eagling shot past a stranded Clements. Thereafter Bridge generally held sway with Clements keeping out efforts from Martin Hutchinson and Lancaster leaving Paul Diamond with a relatively quite afternoon as the visitors rarely threatened.
Man of Match - Fraser Lancaster
10/03/12 - Knaresborough Town 1-2 Boroughbridge AFC - League Cup Quarter-Final
El Classico is the antithesis of this local derby with el frenetico probably a more apt depiction as these old adversaries failed to come to terms with the dry, blustery conditions. K’boro certainly settled the quicker of the two sides with Matt Thompson and Joel Freeston giving the visitors plenty of early problems. Bridge’s defending at this stage was a bit frenzied conceding free kicks, corners and possession allowing K’boro to take a deserved if somewhat fortuitous lead when Paul Diamond inexplicably let a thirty yarder from Jimmy Bradley slip through his grasp. It was twenty five minutes when Bridge had their first opportunity, Liam Healy seeing his header cleared off the line, and two minutes later Ben Clayton and Paul Eagling combined to release Mark Burniston down the right from where the youngster’s cross was superbly met by Ben Jones for the equaliser. This was certainly a fillip for the visitors as they settled down taking the game to their opponents after the interval with Paul Beesley and Martin Hutchinson both firing wide before Hutchinson found Beesley who was able to lob Jack Rushworth to put Bridge in front. Ben Clayton was then adjudged offside as he headed home an Eagling cross but it was ‘Boro who upped their game in the last 20minutes with Liam Gray having a greater influence on proceedings. Manager Davey threw three up top only for his side to be kept at bay by Dave & Mark Burniston, Healy and the outstanding Dan Thirkell and even striker Beesley pitched in with a 96th minute goal line clearance as ‘Bridge booked their place in the semi final and a potential tie with Bardsey who have already done the double over them this season.
Man of Match - Dan Thirkell & Martin Hutchinson
17/03/12 - Boroughbridge AFC 6-2 Beeston St. Anthony's - League
Beeston’s trips to ‘Bridge usually prove to be a goal fest for the visitors but on this occasion the tables were turned with the home side achieving a League double and their first home victory over the Leeds based side in the last six years. It was a crazy opening 25 minutes with the returning Jimmy Tucknott having a header, from a Dan Clayton corner, cleared off the line in the 8th minute by Matt Fannon and then it looked like the same old story when Sean Jeavons headed home a Paul McMullan corner two minutes later. Within a minute Mark Baranovsky and Ben Clayton combined for Dan Clayton to level matters only to fall behind as McMullan drifted by three defenders and Matt Moon deflected his drive past a stranded Paul Diamond. Momentarily Bridge looked crestfallen but within minutes Mark Burniston had a couple of chances and on twenty minutes Dan Clayton got his second with a superb free kick that left Adam Lynes helpless. Two minutes later Martin Hutchinson, who is enjoying a purple patch, buried his shot into the bottom corner following good work from Dan Clayton and Mark Burniston, which was quickly followed by Ben Clayton heading home another Mark Burniston cross. It was the visitors turn to be shell shocked and their situation was exacerbated minutes before the break when Dan Chadwick received a straight red and on the stroke of half time Lynes dislocated his finger tipping a Dan Clayton corner over the bar. Full back Steve Ball took on the goalkeeping mantle and was quickly into action denying Paul Eagling and Baranovsky in one on one situations before he was beaten with Clayton again the provider as Hutchinson grabbed his second with another sweet strike from the edge of the box. Bridge did not kick on from here and the game became fragmented and tetchy but Bridge did have the last word when Fraser Lancaster scrambled home the 6th after Beeston failed to clear another Clayton free kick.
Man of Match - Martin Hutchinson
24/03/12 - Carlton Athletic 1-0 Boroughbridge AFC - League
An ideal football day negated by a poor playing surface and for Bridge memories of last year as they again came away from Carlton defeated by a dubious penalty decision. After a nine week absence Carlton welcomed back Ashley Beck into their side but it was Dan Clayton who caused the early problems with a great run and cross that Mark Baranovsky was just unable to convert and these two then combined with Paul Eagling in an excellent move only for the latter to miss the target with keeper Suruwa Bojang to beat. On the half hour mark Baranovsky flicked on a Martin Hutchinson free kick to David Burniston to fire home but he was adjudged offside and the rest off the half belong to Carlton as their midfield started to take some control with a last ditch Burniston tackle thwarting their best move on the stroke of half time. Two minutes into the second half Bojang pulled off an excellent save to deny Eagling after Paul Diamond clearance had been flicked on by Ben Jones which was followed by a sequence of corners at either end before David Ward headed wide for the home side. As the game became stretched Jones was just over with a volley and then Bridge’s shout for a penalty was cast aside when the ball hit Kent’s hand when he was attempting to head back to his keeper. Accidental was the verdict and probably justifiable but minutes later Ben Mudd blasted clear a Lee Turner cross which hit an unsuspecting Baranovsky on the arm and a penalty awarded which could not be vindicated given the earlier decision. Dave Pickering hit home the penalty and as the visitors lost their way Carlton took control. Jones did hit the post ten minutes in an isolated Bridge attack and Hutchinson cleared off the line in the last few minutes as Carlton completed a League double.
Man of Match - Mark Burniston
31/03/12 - Field Sports & Social 2-3 Boroughbridge AFC - League
Both sides made a slow start on a dry, dusty surface with Field enjoying the better of the few chances but a couple of corner were cleared by Jimmy Tucknott and Paul Diamond was then at his best to hold on to an excellent Emmett Gallagher free kick. Chances were at a premium as play became a little frenetic and it was not until the 29th minutes that the game came to life as Ben Jones volleyed wide after Dan Clayton headed down a Ben Mudd free kick. Minutes later a Fraser Lancaster was pushed for away by Jordan Laban for a corner and when the ball was headed out to him Dan Clayton cross shot went in off the back post to give Bridge the lead. This opened up the game with John Penn just off target for the home side when well placed and then star men Dan Clayton and Glyn Hurst both missing good one on one opportunities. The ‘Bridge defence which was having to withstand constant pressure eventually cracked on 43 minutes when Jordan Barrett smashed home the equaliser after Ben Jones had cleared a Gallagher header off the line. Bridge started the second half at a high tempo with a Mark Burniston cross just evading Jones and Eagling before Lancaster had one effort tipped over by Laban and another cleared off the line subsequent to Martin Hutchinson heading wide from an excellent Ben Clayton, Eagling Tucknott and D Clayton move. Hurst continued to chance his luck at any opportunity for the home side but it was Bridge who struck next with a superb Eagling volley after Clayton (D) had flicked on a Burniston (M) pass. Field immediately made two substitutions which were vindicated within two minutes as Kayden Jackson smashed home an excellent 25 yarder and it took some first-rate defending from Ben Mudd to prevent Josh Milner giving them the lead. The deciding goal came on 72 minutes when a Lancaster effort hit a Field defender and despite the strong protests from the home side the decision stood leaving Eagling to smash the ball into the top corner.
Man of Match - Dan Clayton
04/04/12 - Ripon City 5-1 Boroughbridge AFC - Whitworth Cup Final
‘Bridge were hit with a setback before this Whitworth Cup Final even kicked off as Daz Ekin was informed by Harrogate Town Manager Simon Weaver that due to Town’s injury crisis Ekin would not be allowed to play his star striker Paul Beesley. Despite this, ‘Bridge’s opponents Ripon City posted a starting line-up with Town players Jack Emmett and Ben Cohen in their offence, leaving the ‘Bridge defence with a tough evening ahead, but with outfield player Mark Tyson in goal. The sun had already dipped below the horizon as the teams emerged, highlighting the fact that due to fixture congestion at the CNG Stadium this fixture was being played almost a month earlier than the previous season, but the floodlights highlighted a set of teams containing a strong contingent of strikers setting up a potential evening full of goals. Both teams began the match brightly, with City straight on the attack testing Paul Diamond in the ‘Bridge goal multiple times in the first ten minutes. ‘Bridge weathered this early storm, however, and used it to their advantage, manufacturing counter attacking opportunities. With just less than 15 minutes on the clock the ‘Bridge half of the stadium erupted when Ben Jones latched onto the end of one of said counter attacks and fired past Tyson in the City net, but Jones was adjudged to be offside and the scores remained level. Ripon were straight back on the attack, and punished ‘Bridge for their failure to convert on 19 minutes when Tom Leeming took at shot from around 20 yards, leaving Diamond a spectator as the ball nestled in the bottom left-hand corner of the net. Both sides enjoyed possession as the half progressed, with it increasingly clear that the match would go the way of whichever side could finish their chances, but overall it was ‘Bridge on the defensive much more than Ripon. As the half progressed it appeared that Daz Ekin’s men had kept their half time deficit to just one, the same as in last season’s Whitworth Cup Final, but with the match in first half injury time and the ‘Bridge defence already mentally in the dressing room, City’s Harrogate Town striker Ben Cohen found the space he needed to place the ball in the back of the net for two nil. This doubtless sent ‘Bridge in at half time with their heads hung, and City in with their heads high, but this did not show as the second half kicked off. ‘Bridge began the half brightly and were straight on the attack, looking to make up their two goal deficit. Enter City ‘keeper Mark Tyson. With the clock ticking towards the hour mark and the City box crowded with players an advancing Tyson managed to get just enough on a Dan Clayton header to allow his defenders an easy clearance off the line, and just minutes later he made a spectacular quadruple save, parrying three powerful ‘Bridge shots before managing to get up and make a fingertip save, with the ball just dipping enough to go under the crossbar, to keep his sheet clean. Tyson’s performance was worthy of winning any cup final and certainly contributed to City’s wrestling of the momentum back from ‘Bridge, with Cohen hammering the first nail into the ‘Bridge coffin in the 64th minute when he capitalised on a Diamond mistake to fire home the third. Cohen would complete his hat-trick four minutes later and with the ‘Bridge discipline increasingly poor, Mark Burniston was shown a red card for a second bookable offence in the 70th minute. ‘Bridge Manager Daz Ekin immediately made his first substitution, bringing striker Fraser Lancaster on for Martin Hutchinson, but just two minutes later Ripon took a firm grasp on one handle of the Whitworth Cup when Marc Hill fired in the fifth following more slack defending. This did little to help ‘Bridge discipline, and on 74 minutes Ekin was forced to substitute Dave Burniston, with it seeming likely that if Ekin did not bring Burniston off then the referee would. The introduction of Ben Mudd seemed to calm the ranks somewhat, with ‘Bridge seeing out the remaining quarter hour without conceding a further goal, even having the ball in the back of the City net twice, once ruled out for offside and once gaining a consolation goal from Ben Jones, neither of which altered the final result. ‘Bridge had their chances to successfully defend this cup, but disastrous form in front of goal cost them, as did a poor showing from the defence. This should not take anything away from Charlie Brown’s Ripon City, however, who took a deserved victory and continue to chase a top four finish in the West Yorkshire Premier Division. ‘Bridge meanwhile, must focus on their defence of the League Cup and Semi-Final against Bardsey.
Man of Match - Mark Baranovsky & Ben Jones
07/04/12 - Knaresborough Town 3-1 Boroughbridge AFC - League
If ‘Bridge were looking for any sympathy after their Whitworth Cup defeat Manse Lane was not the place with the home side galloping into a 2-0 lead after only fifteen minutes. The opener came after on two minutes from a long clearance flicked on by Seb Carole and finished by Colin Heath and it was the same combination who added the second with a Heath header from a Carole cross. In between the two goals Martin Hutchinson had an effort well saved by Jack Rushworth and for the rest of the half ‘Bridge showed plenty of initiative but without the reward. Driven on by captain and MOM Ben Clayton they continued to create chances and on the hour mark had a great opening to get back into the game. Fraser Lancaster was thrown to the ground in a one on one with the keeper and though a penalty was given it was not deemed a goal scoring opportunity with Rushworth staying on the park to save the ensuing Mark Baranovsky penalty. Three minutes later Matt Duerden, under pressure from Benji Slater, showed Bridge how to score as his back pas evaded the advancing Rushworth and for the next fifteen minutes K’boro were under pressure with the keeper again coming to their rescue denying as astute Slater lob. Seven minutes from time, Carole, who had been a constant threat, cut in from the left to fire an unstoppable drive into the far corner to secure the points for the home side.
Man of Match - Ben Clayton
10/04/12 - Bardsey 5-1 Boroughbridge AFC - League Cup Semi-Final
‘Bridge came into this League Cup Semi-Final on the back of successive defeats, five one to Ripon City in the Whitworth Cup Final and three one to local rivals Knaresborough Town just days before the match. Just as he had for the Whitworth Cup Final the week before, Manager Daz Ekin welcomed star players Dan Thirkell, James McDaid and Dan Clayton back into his line-up but once again had to go without Harrogate Town striker Paul Beesley who had picked up an injury playing for Town the day before. ‘Bridge made a bright start to the match against their much fancied opponents, with Paul Eagling heading just wide of the mark minutes into the game, but the problems associated with making such drastic changes to a team manifested themselves in the sixth minute when the ‘Bridge defence opened up to allow Bardsey’s prolific striker Rob Dickinson the time and space to pick his spot in the bottom left-hand corner of Paul Diamond’s net and fire home the opening goal, with the pace on the shot leaving Diamond with no chance of making a save. Things went from bad to worse for the cup’s holders on sixteen minutes when Steve Palfrey was allowed to cut in from the left and chipped over Diamond, finding just enough space to squeeze the ball between the crossbar and the extended hand of ‘Bridge’s ‘keeper to double his side’s lead. The goal seemed to awaken ‘Bridge and they set about working industriously, trying to recover the deficit. As the half progressed Ekin’s men were increasing pushing forward, as shown by several chances the best of which from James McDaid which fizzed just wide of the right-hand post. With five minutes to go before half time it seemed as though all the hard work had paid off when Jimmy Tucknott rose from a corner to head the ball home, but the goal was disallowed with the referee declaring that Tucknott had committed a foul when jumping for the header. The goal had the potential to change the complexion of the match by taking the teams in split by just a single goal, but as it was Bardsey took a two nil lead in at half time. The second half began just as the first had ended, with both teams playing open and flowing football. As 60 minutes ticked past on the clock, the first real shot of the half from Bardsey caused Diamond to dive to his left, tipping the ball onto the post and away for a corner. Disaster would strike for ‘Bridge from the corner when Dickinson placed a powerful shot past Diamond, who once again would have had to pull out a special save in order to prevent the ball rippling the back of his net, to take Bardsey three goals to the good. This really was now or never time for ‘Bridge in their defence of the League Cup and they went straight back on the attack, with Ben Jones shooting from around 20 yards out, forcing Jonathan Smith in the Bardsey goal to tip the ball over the bar for a corner. As Dan Clayton whipped the corner in from the right, Jones rushed in at the near post and headed the ball past Smith for his deserved goal, which put ‘Bridge back within reach of their opponents. There was a further setback on 70 minutes, however, when striker Paul Eagling had to be helped off the field after sustaining an injury, to be replaced by Fraser Lancaster, but Ekin’s side kept the momentum and continued to push for a second. Dan Clayton came closest to scoring said goal when he gained the ball on the left and struck a powerful shot from around 30 yards out which rebounded off the post, past both the stranded Smith, and the equally stranded Jones who had no chance of making a play. This marked another turning point in the match. Had the ball hit the back of the net rather than the post ‘Bridge would have been back within one and very much in possession of the momentum. As it was, however, Bardsey moved play straight back upfield and scored, courtesy for a third time of Dickinson, perhaps one of the most timely goals of the season to make the scoreline four one and put the game beyond reach of their opponents with just ten minutes left on the clock. Ekin played his last throw of the dice in an attempt to keep hold of his League Cup just a little bit longer, injecting the fresh legs of Chris Stephenson by bringing off Martin Hutchinson, but it was all in vain as Bardsey’s Adam Ryder rounded out the scoring on 87 minutes to inflict a second five one cup defeat on ‘Bridge in a week. At the final whistle both Managers admitted that the scoreline was somewhat flattering to the victors, but this should not take anything away from an assured Bardsey performance, complimented by exceptional quality in front of goal from the likes of Rob Dickinson, and so called ‘class’ performances from the likes of Tom Claisse. Once again the difference for ‘Bridge was just that little bit quality in front of goal and a lack of pressure on opposition strikers in defence. Bardsey now progress to the League Cup Final against Field Sports & Social, who defeated Beeston St. Anthony’s 10-9 on penalties in the other Semi-Final, whereas ‘Bridge have just three league games remaining, starting with Whitkirk Wanderers this Saturday at Aldborough Road.
Man of Match - Ben Jones
14/04/12 - Boroughbridge AFC 3-1 Whitkirk Wanderers - League
With the fall out from successive cup defeats it was a much changed ‘Bridge side that had to overcome further adversity before they were able to secure victory against visitors Whitkirk Wanderers. They started brightly enough with wide players Dan Clayton & Mark Burniston causing early problems and it was from a Clayton delivery that Bridge had their first real opportunity wasted by a weak header from the peripatetic Benji Slater. The fillip of an early goal was not long in coming however as a short corner routine from Burniston and Clayton result in Ben Clayton beating Mark Childs with a near post header. ‘Bridge were unable to consolidate their advantage and on 28 minutes had 17 year old Liam Corbett, making his 1st team debut, to thank for maintaining their lead with a point blank save to a Glenn Wood header. The half ended as it started with ‘Bridge having the better of the game but with no goals to show for it. The second half, conversely, was a fragmented affair littered with contentious decisions which confused both players and spectators alike and none more so than Liam Healy’s perfectly timed tackle on Wood that resulted in a penalty award on 71 minutes. Corbett got a hand to Ryan Robinson’s resultant spot kick which looked liked giving the visitors the point they needed to ensure safety only for Tom Smith to come off the bench and restore ‘Bridge’s advantage three minutes from time. Dan Clayton, who had been subjected to some meaty, yet unpunished challenges during the course of the afternoon guaranteed victory latching on to a pass thirty yards out to outpace two defenders and slip the ball past the onrushing Childs.
Man of Match - Liam Corbett & Liam Healy
21/04/12 - East End Park 2-1 Boroughbridge AFC - League
After the fillip of an early goal an understrength ‘Bridge outfit lost its urgency leaving the home side with a deserved three points in their quest for survival. The goal came from some excellent link play between Mark Burniston, Tom Smith and Ben Clayton who put in Benjy Slator to round his man and shoot past Scott McAllister. A great start for Bridge but that was about as good as it got and it was not until eight minutes before the break that they had another opportunity with Fraser Lancaster firing wide after the keeper miscued his clearance. The home side fared little better with a free kick just off target and Gaz Mitchell heading wide a ‘Delap’ style long throw to leave ‘Bridge with the half time advantage. Three minutes into the second half Park’s key players on the day got them back on terms with Liam Douglas going past Tucknott and Coombes to cross for Adam Tunnicliffe to grab the equaliser. Douglas was just off the mark minutes later and on 74 minutes another long throw caused chaos in the ‘Bridge defence and despite the best efforts of keeper Liam Corbett the ball ran loose to Mitchell for the second. Slator did have the ball in the net again but was adjudged offside and Corbett denied Ryan Douglas with an excellent save to prevent the home side increasing their lead. ‘Bridge did have a late flurry forcing a succession of corners but the nearest they game to rescuing a point was a near post Ben Clayton header denied by a great save from McAllister.
Man of Match - Liam Healy
28/04/12 - Boroughbridge AFC 2-3 Oxenhope Recreation - League
After their promising start to the season Bridge ended the 2011/12 campaign on a below par note with a 3-2 defeat to Oxenhope adding to their recent Cup anguish. They started the more promising of the two sides until hesitancy in the defence let in Dave Nelson who was able to pick out Mark Garnett to head in the opener. They levelled on 18 minutes when a Dan Clayton free kick was handled and from a slighter better angle Clayton smashed the ensuing free kick into the bottom corner with Nick Hudson well beaten. This is how it stayed until the break with chances at a premium but four minutes into the second half a Dan Thirkell corner was nodded back by Mark Baranovsky leaving Lee Brook to give Bridge the lead. The ‘Bridge defence had looked reasonably solid up to this point but in the next fifteen minutes Garnett was clean through and fired wide, he then hit the post after being put clear by Matt Bentham, Liam Corbett denied Nelson at point blank range as did a last ditch Ben Mudd tackle. The visitors’ perseverance paid dividends on 72 minutes when Garnett got the benefit of a nudge on Mudd to level matters and six minutes later a Daniel Moriarty effort slipped through Corbett’s outstretched hands for the winner. Bridge never made any serious threat on Hudson’s goal thereafter and their cause was further exacerbated by the dismissal of substitute Benji Slater less than five minutes after coming on.
Man of Match - Jimmy Tucknott
Official Boroughbridge AFC Club Partners 2015/16
Boroughbridge AFC
John Ellis Builders
Boroughbridge AFC
The Three Horse Shoes
Boroughbridge AFC
Reed Boardall
BOroughbridge AFC
The Black Bull Inn
The Club would like to thank all our partners and sponsors for the 15/16 season. For information on how to sponsor the Club, please see the Sponsors section.