Boroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFC Boroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFC
Boroughbridge AFC Veterans Match Reports 11/12
11/09/11 - Boroughbridge AFC Vets 1-0 Harrogate Vets - Corinthians Cup Final
The Corinthians Cup Final postponed from last season following a serious injury to a Bridge player was played out at Ripon City’s Mallorie Park Drive with a Lee Brook goal edging it. The opening half hour of the game was controlled by the Harrogate side who were more incisive in all areas of the game and Bridge, who had a few new faces in their ranks, had to thank a resolute performance from the defensive unit. The last fifteen minutes Bridge came more into the game, a pattern that continued after the break, and on 61 minutes the took the lead from a Lee Brook header to Ian Raynor free kick. Harrogate rarely threatened Paul Kirbitson’s goal and Bridge should have capitalised on the better of the chance as they finished the better of the two teams. With keeper Alastair Hogg and last year’s prolific goal scorer Paul Stephenson out injured this was a pleasing result for Bridge with new boys Jon O’Neill and Les Williamson both putting in excellent stints.
Man of Match - Les Williamson
18/09/11 - Boroughbridge AFC Vets 3-3 Sherwood Vets - League
The Corinthians League competition has certainly become stronger over recent years which was in evidence as Bridge hosted a strong Sherwood side. It was the home side that started off the brighter and they should have had more to show for their efforts than a Les Gray which gave them a half time lead. Early in the second half Sean Latimer got the visitors back on terms but twice more Bridge took the lead from an own goal and a Jamie Smith header to a returning Paul Stephenson cross only for Sherwood to peg them back each time with goals from Ramsey and a Gary Edmunds penalty five minutes from time.
Man of Match - Mark Chisholm
13/11/11 - Wetherby Vets 0-5 Boroughbridge AFC Vets - League
The muddy conditions did nobody any favours but Bridge adapted much better than their opponents which is reflected in the result. Steve Kirby (Silky) gave his side the lead on 28 minutes as his cross shot zoomed into the top corner and Jimmy Binks turned his marker to rocket in a left foot seven minutes later. Paul Stephenson wasn’t going to be left out of the action and made it three just before half time and after the break Simon Taylor déjà vu Silky got the fourth and Daz Dennis completed the scoring following a terrible mix up in the home defence.
Man of Match - Jimmy Binks
20/11/11 - Boroughbridge AFC Vets 0-0 Barwick Vets - Corinthians Plate
After Extra Time - Barwick win penalty shootout
Bridge’s inability to convert a raft of chances together with an outstanding display from Berwick’s keeper cost them the opportunity to defend their trophy as they eventually went out in the penalty shoot out.
Man of Match - Rob Timmins
11/12/11 - Boroughbridge AFC Vets 6-0 Wetherby Vets - League
Boroughbridge Veterans were back in league action after their cup defeat last time out and won very easy by six goals to nil. 'Bridge dominated the game from start to finish, with Les Gray getting them on their way with a cool finish on 16 minutes. From there on in it was a case of how many with plenty of chances being made. Paul Stephenson got in on the act on 22 minutes following good work from Gray and Mark Chisholm and a Rob Timmins bullet header just before half time made it three. The second half was same again, Man of Match Chisholm made it four nil with a great solo effort, Stephenson got the fifth from a Gray cross mid-way through the half and then substitute Alastair Hogg, on for the injured Jimmy Binks, got number six with an simple tap in from a Stephenson cross.
Man of Match - Mark Chisholm
22/01/12 - Boroughbridge AFC Vets 3-0 Bardsey Vets - League
Abandoned at 70 minutes due to serious injury
'Bridge were on target for a comfortable victory with goals from Jimmy McKendry (2) and Jimmy Binks until an injury to Kevin Gillespie caused the game to be abandoned ten minutes from time. Manager Paul Stephenson is now awaiting a decision from the League to see if the result will stand.
26/02/12 - Pool Vets 0-2 Boroughbridge AFC Vets - League
‘Bridge arrived at Pool in good time but were made to wait fifteen minutes beyond the scheduled time to kick-off the match with the home side scrambling to get together a team and then no referee in attendance at the ground. Pool would eventually get their side together but no referee was forthcoming, thankfully, however, ‘Bridge’s substitute Tony Coles agreed to step in and did an excellent job refereeing the match and allowing it to go ahead. When the match finally did begin, it was the visiting side who started the brightest and although they failed to settle into their rhythm in the first half, still had their chances to open the scoring. A slight change of tactics at half time and urge from Manager Paul Stephenson to tighten up the passing game paid dividends just six minutes into the second half when Paul Stephenson brought the ball in from the right wing and let leash a powerful shot which flew past the Pool ‘keeper and into the left-hand corner of the net. The lead was doubled a mere five minutes later when Jamie Smith tapped the ball home from close range for his second goal of the weekend. Pool had a chance to get themselves back into the match almost immediately but some clever footwork from Paul Kirbitson in the visitor’s goal deflected the ball wide. ‘Bridge dropped the tempo slightly in the last half hour and allowed Pool to place some pressure on their goal, but the match never really looked at threat of turning the host’s way despite ‘Bridge failing to hit top gear at any point during the day. Stephenson can be happy with another three points for his league campaign but will know that this was not his team’s finest performance with the passing game letting the team down on a number of occasions. Nevertheless, ‘Bridge did enough to get the job done and with more precise passes could easily have had more goals for the tally.
Man of Match - Paul Kirbitson
11/03/12 - Sherwood Vets 1-5 Boroughbridge AFC Vets - League
Bridge went into this contest with a much stronger outfit than their last time out and the quality was reflected in a convincing four goal first half salvo. Jimmy Binks was their talisman orchestrating play from midfield and opening the scoring from a loose ball 12 yards out. Minutes later the returning Lee Brook was brought down in the area leaving Paul Stephenson to smash home the penalty and Binks was again on the goal trail drifting by a couple of defenders before slotting his drive into the bottom corner. Steve Coughlin completed the first half scoring from close range after the home defence failed to deal with a Daz Ekin free kick. There was a bit of a turnaround in the second period as Bridge conceded their first goal in the last five games but they regained their first half impetus with Binks the provider as Daz Dennis added the fifth.
Man of Match - Jimmy Binks
25/03/12 - Ilkley Vets 3-3 Boroughbridge AFC Vets - League
‘Bridge came into this fixture knowing that taking maximum points was vital if they were to sustain their challenge for the league title. Unfortunately, this quest took a very early setback in the spring sunshine of Ilkley as their hosts very quickly opened up a two goal to nil lead, scoring on four and seven minutes following very slack defending from ‘Bridge. It may have been seven minutes too late, but a wake-up call this certainly was and Paul Stephenson’s team immediately set about mounting a comeback. On 22 minutes Mark Chisholm shot just wide of the right hand post for ‘Bridge’s first real chance of the afternoon and this was followed eight minutes later by Daz Ekin cutting in from the right and shooting across goal, only to see his effort just wide of the left hand post. As half time beckoned ‘Bridge were in control of proceedings with some very good approach play but just lacking that clinical final touch. The message from Stephenson at half time was on the whole for more of the same and eight minutes into the second half the Manager himself had a golden opportunity to pull a goal back after he was brought down in the area and the referee awarded a penalty. Uncharacteristically, however, Stephenson missed from the spot and two rebound opportunities also went begging. Unperturbed, ‘Bridge went straight back on the attack and in the very next minute were denied by the woodwork, only for Stephenson to get his due reward from the rebound. The goal further rattled an already subdued Ilkley side and the visitors continued to dominate with it seeming only a matter of time before parity was restored. That goal came on 59 minutes courtesy of Jimmy McHendry who managed to guide the ball home from a fantastic Ekin ball into the box from a corner. Three minutes later stand-in ‘Bridge goalkeeper Steve Kirby pulled out a fantastic save, diving across his goal to tip an Ilkley shot onto the post but this appeared to be only a minor blip when Stephenson hit home from short range on 68 minutes to give his side a deserved lead. Ilkley would not lie down completely, however, and five minutes after Stephenson’s goal ‘Bridge, who had changed to a three man defensive line when chasing the third goal, were caught napping allowing Ilkley to head home at Kirby’s near post for three all. In an action packed match six goals and one missed penalty had seemed like more than enough entertainment, but this game still had more to give and with just five minutes to go it looked as though ‘Bridge might snatch a victory as they were awarded a second penalty following a hand ball in the area. For Stephenson to miss one penalty is rare, but for him to miss two is virtually unheard-of, yet this was the case when his initial kick was saved by a very agile Ilkley ‘keeper who then managed to recompose himself to save the follow-up header from the ‘Bridge Manager. There looked to be one last sting in the tail to compound ‘Bridge’s misery as the clock moved into injury time as Ilkley once again whipped the ball into the area, but their header went just wide of the right hand post and three all would be how things ended, leaving the visitors to reflect on missed opportunities and what could have been. ‘Bridge still top the York Corinthians league, but have played many more games than division favourites Harrogate Veterans and could yet have their chance to challenge for the title cruelly taken away from them if their hosts on this day refuse to play both Harrogate and Sherwood.
Man of Match - Mark Chisholm
08/04/12 - Bardsey Vets 1-2 Boroughbridge AFC Vets - League
'Bridge had most of the play in the first half but it was the home side who created the better of the chances forcing Andy Kirkbright into a series of fines saves. 'Bridge in contrast enjoyed plenty of possession but were limited to shots from distance as the home rearguard limited their opportunities. The introduction of Paul Stephenson for the injured Jimmy McHendry certainly turned the game and on the hour mark the 'Bridge manager rounded the Bardsey ‘keeper to slot in the opener. The home side responded quickly to the setback and drew level eight minutes later following a mix up in the 'Bridge defence. It was now Bridge's turn to turn the screw and on 72 minutes Bardsey failed to deal with a Jimmy Binks corner and Stephenson was on hand to smash home the loose ball. This time, however, there was no comeback from the home side and in the end 'Bridge could and should have won more comfortably.
Man of Match - Andy Kirkbright
15/04/12 - Harrogate Vets 3-1 Boroughbridge AFC Vets - League
In a must win game against a strong Harrogate side 'Bridge played well and more than matched their opponents. The hosts went one up 20 minutes into the encounter, but 'Bridge were having chances and drew level on the half hour mark as Paul Stephenson set up Jamie Smith to fire home. Stephenson's team would take a massive blow just before half time, however, with Steve Coghlin exiting the match injured and the second half would be a very different affair Mark Chisholm giving away a penalty less than a minute into the half. Harrogate converted this opportunity and made it three soon afterwards to take control of the game. 'Bridge had their chances as the clock ran down but couldn't find the goal they needed to get back into the game.
Man of Match - Rob Timmins
06/05/12 - Boroughbridge AFC Vets 1-0 Sherwood Vets - League
Sherwood started the game much brighter dominating the majority of the first half but without seriously testing Paul Kirbitson in the ‘Bridge goal. In contrast ‘Bridge, who had home advantage in this play-off semi-final, huffed and puffed yet probably had the better of the chances, taking the lead on 26 minutes when Rob Timmins headed home a Jimmy Binks corner. After getting the hair dryer treatment from Assistant Manager, Alastair Hogg, there was more cohesion to the ‘Bridge game and only failed to consolidate their lead through the profligacy of Paul Stephenson, Jamie Smith and Daz Ekin. This always left the visitors in with a chance and it took a late Kirbitson save to keep them out in the last few minutes to give 'Bridge a final spot against their nemesis Harrogate Vets this coming Sunday.
Man of Match - Rob Timmins
Official Boroughbridge AFC Club Partners 2015/16
Boroughbridge AFC
John Ellis Builders
Boroughbridge AFC
The Three Horse Shoes
Boroughbridge AFC
Reed Boardall
BOroughbridge AFC
The Black Bull Inn
The Club would like to thank all our partners and sponsors for the 15/16 season. For information on how to sponsor the Club, please see the Sponsors section.