Boroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFC Boroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFC
Boroughbridge AFC Match Reports 12/13
August to December
18/07/12 - Boroughbridge AFC 5-2 Harrogate Town Under-19s - Friendly
It was a new look 'Bridge side that came into this opening pre-season friendly of the 12/13 campaign, with strike duo Paul Eagling and Dan Clayton and defensive duo Dave Burniston and Ben Clayton all having left to join Knaresborough Town and Tom Smith having gone to Easingwold Town. As such, it took 'Bridge a little while to settle into the match, but once they did they put on an excellent display of attacking football against a Harrogate Town Under-19 side who performed somewhat worse than expectations. The breakthrough for Daz Ekin's men came in the 15th minute when Ben Jones headed home the opener, and just eight minutes later Jimmy Tucknott doubled the home side's advantage. Town would not lie down, however, and their secret weapon in the form of an ex-'Bridge striker returning from injury, Paul Beesley, made the most of an attacking situation to peg 'Bridge's lead back to one just after half time. This would spark a five minute period of goals with Mark Burniston restoring the two goal lead on 34 minutes only to see Town move straight back upfield from the restart and reduce the deficit once more. The second half also started with goals in quick succession, with Martin Hutchinson adding a fourth for 'Bridge in the 49th minute and Fraser Lancaster on target just two minutes later. There was time for both 'Bridge to further stretch their advantage and for Town to get back into the game at this point, but it was not to be with both Managers beginning to try out their long lists of substitutes meaning the game fizzled out somewhat with the five two scoreline remaining until the final whistle.
13/08/12 - Boroughbridge AFC 6-2 Pannal Sports - Friendly
'Bridge set themselves up for Saturday's opening West Yorkshire Premier Divsion match with a six goal to two victory over Pannal Sports at Aldborough Road earlier this evening. Ben Jones opened the scoring on eleven minutes before Nick Creesey doubled the advantage just after the half hour mark. Jones then added a third just before half time to take 'Bridge in three nil up at the break. Pannal pulled one back straight after the restart but Martin Hutchinson restored the three goal cushion on 58 minutes. The visitors would go back upfield and pull another goal back, but Chris Stephenson made sure of the win on 65 minutes and Mark Burniston rounded out the scoring on 73 minutes to leave 'Bridge's premier side unbeaten in their pre-season campaign.
18/08/12 - Kippax 1-4 Boroughbridge AFC - League
On an excellent playing surface, Kippax, making their Premier League debut, were quickly out of the blocks against a 'Bridge side showing many imposed changes from last season and in the opening four minutes Richard Hepworth hit the 'Bridge wall with a 25 yards free kick and Richard Jackson headed over from a James Dean corner. It was Richard Marchant's turn to try his luck on 10 minutes, which Liam Corbett pouched easily, and as the game levelled out 'Bridge had their best chance with Dan McDaid, on debut, having an effort blocked from eight yards out. The opening goal came just past the half hour mark as Jimmy Tucknott found Ben Jones who turned and fired into the top corner giving home 'keeper Matt Longden no chance. Longden managed to thwart Chris Stephenson minutes later only to be beaten again on 38 minutes with another Jones blockbuster as he volleyed home from the edge of the box following good build up play by Mark Burniston and Stephenson. The goals changed the mood of the game with the half time break temporary taking the sting out of some meaty challenges which was alleviated further when McDaid scored from a one-on-one, latching on to a Nick Creesey flick from a Corbett clearance. 'Bridge were now playing with more confidence and a fluent move, on the hour mark, involving Hutchinson, Stephenson & McDaid ended with Burniston timing his run perfectly to head home a Tucknott cross. The visitors could have added more but as players begin to tire it was Kippax who had the last word through Jackson, arguably their best player, who started and finished a good move with a consolation goal four minutes from time.
Man of Match - Ben Jones
22/08/12 - Leeds City 3-4 Boroughbridge AFC - League
In a fast frenetic encounter Bridge survived a late onslaught to record their first victory in nine meetings against the current County Challenge Cup holders Leeds City. The visitors started positively and after having a legitimate looking Ben Jones goal crossed off for offside they took the lead on fourteen minutes through new signing Matt Thompson who latched on to a Ben Mudd pass to round keeper Jordan Higgins for the opener. Daniel Freeman pulled a good save from Liam Corbett a minute later but the young 'Bridge keeper was well beaten by a Charlie Lumley free kick shortly afterwards. 'Bridge did not dwell on the setback and on 31 minutes Mark Burniston fed Dan McDaid and his cross was dispatched by Thompson for his second. In this oscillating encounter Corbett pulled off another good save followed by a bad home miss and Bridge then thought they had given themselves some breathing space on the stroke of half time only to see Liam Healy's effort given offside. Five minutes into the second half 'Bridge did increase their lead as Baz O'Neill headed home a Jones cross and on the hour mark it got better when Jones reacted quicker than Higgins to a Corbett clearance to strike home the fourth. City are a quality footballing side and Corbett was again in action a minute later to deny Matt Johnson but on 65 minutes City were thrown a lifeline with a needless challenge with Freeman converting the resultant penalty. Johnson and Mitch Cameron in the home engine room were now in full flow and it was these two who combined with Cameron curling home the third twenty minutes from time. It was now backs to the wall time but some resolute defending together with a bit of luck saw Bridge survive to take a welcome three points.
Man of Match - Liam Healy
25/08/12 - Boroughbridge AFC 1-3 Bardsey - League
'Bridge's excellent result of three days ago cascaded into oblivion as they were undone by their more illustrious visitors. Ekin had to reshuffle his side following four backwords but they started off well with Matt Thompson robbing the returning Paul Diamond only to see his namesake Jamie Thompson clear his effort off the line. The slick surface suited the pace of Steve Mallory and Mick Toney and together with the guile of Rob Dickinson Bardsey were soon creating problems with John Swift producing an excellent save from Liam Corbett. 'Bridge were not overawed and Fraser Lancaster, denied by Diamond, and Liam Healy both went close before the visitors were gifted a penalty. Criticism of decisions is not our style but on this occasion the judgment left everyone bemused but Dickson who stepped up to smash in the opener. This was on 18 minutes and seven minutes later Dave Stead got round the back of the 'Bridge defence and when Corbett blocked Dickinson?s close range effort the ball bounced of the backtracking Healy for an own goal. Bardsey continued to enjoy the better of things and Dickinson was unlucky to see his effort come back of the post in the opening minutes of the second half and soon afterwards Thompson had a great chance to get 'Bridge back in the game but his chip from a Martin Hutchinson pass was just over. He had a bit more luck on 68 minutes when his header from a Hutchinson corner rebounded off a defender to reduce the deficit only for Jamie Thompson to restore the two goal cushion within minutes as he rose to head home a Toney corner. Chances continued at both ends of the park but 'keepers Corbett and Diamond were in fine form with the three points taking Bardsey to the top of the league.
Man of Match - Liam Corbett
29/08/12 - Boroughbridge AFC 1-6 Wetherby Athletic - League
'Bridge's downward trend continued on Wednesday with a comprehensive defeat at the hands of Wetherby Athletic. Visiting 'keeper James Senior was called into action twice in the opening ten minutes and Ben Jones should have done better with a great opportunity, which proved significant on twelve minutes when Joe Wilkes gave the visitors the lead with their first serious venture into the 'Bridge half. It got worse for the home side mid-way through the half when they lost the ball in midfield and two passes later Liam Corbett was again picking the ball out of the net following a clinical Nathan Peskett finish. Jones and Mark Burniston both went close for 'Bridge but their hopes of a comeback faded on 54 minutes when Paul Hustwit dispossessed Ben Mudd and rifled home the third. Changes in the defensive formation only served to give the visitors further opportunities which they wasted until sub Daniel Slater robbed Steve Tovey to hit home the fourth. This was on 82 minutes and as 'Bridge fell apart Johnny Hadley and Peskett added two more in quick succession before Jones added a late consolation when Senior failed to hang on to a Dan McDaid effort.
Man of Match - Ben Jones
01/09/12 - Otley Town 4-0 Boroughbridge AFC - League
'Bridge were looking to regain some confidence from their trip to a pointless Otley Town but injuries and backwords again left Ekin with a dilapidated squad which was evident in another dour display. On this evidence both sides will be struggling in the bottom half of the table as there was little attacking action for either Gavin Phillis or Liam Corbett to deal with until the Sam Redhead opener on 37 minutes. The game sparked into life after the break only for ?Bridge to fall apart after they conceded a second to Scott Cater on 63 minutes. Four minutes later any semblance of a fight back had dissipated as Scott Firth and Josh Waite added two more to secure the points for the home side to lift them off the bottom of the table and hand ?Bridge an unwanted hat trick of defeats.
Man of Match - Ben Jones
05/09/12 - Boroughbridge AFC 1-2 Ripon City - League
After conceding ten goals in their previous two outings this was a much improved performance by the home side only to be undone again by their old nemesis Ripon City. In a frenetic opening 'Bridge came the nearest to scoring with a Ben Jones header from a Dan McDaid corner hitting the foot of the post. It was the visitors, however, who were first to open their account in the 37th minutes when adversary Jack Emmett, who proved the difference in the two sides, burst away from a cleared Bridge free kick and delivered a superb cross to an unmarked Adam Robinson to head home. A marginal offside decision kept the score at 1-0 to the break and after the interval it was the home side that were creating the better of the chances with Jones firing over from the best of these. As the game ebbed and flowed back came Ripon with Tom Sowerby, on debut, making two excellent point blank saves to keep 'Bridge in the contest only to be beaten again on 70 minutes in similar circumstances to the first as Emmett carried the ball down the right before picking out an unmarked James Charlesworth to head home. Down but not quite out 'Bridge won a series of corners and Matt Thompson reduced the deficit with a near post header three minutes from time but they were unable to bag that elusive equaliser.
Man of Match - Tom Sowerby
08/09/12 - Rothwell 0-2 Boroughbridge AFC - League
Looking to end their sequence of four successive defeats from their trip to newly promoted Rothwell Manager Daz Ekin again had to deal with a raft of backwords. On the encouraging side he had the ubiquitous Baz O'Neill returning to the starting line up and 'keeper Tom Sowerby making his second appearance but it was another late inclusion Stevie Coles who made an immediate impact latching on to a loose ball and firing across Jordan Myers for the opener after only 57 seconds. It was certainly the start Boss Ekin was looking for to settle his side down, however, only nine minutes had elapsed when more juggling was required as 'Bridge lost their Captain and centre back Steve Tovey through injury. O'Neill was moved into the back four alongside Andy Layton, bringing the energetic Barry Pryce into midfield to partner Nick Creesey allowing Coles and Dan McDaid to work the flanks. Sowerby had to tip a Matt Lloyd effort over the bar and pushed a corner onto the post but generally the strategy was effective with Rothwell restricted, in the main, to shots from outside the area. They still offered a strong physical presence from set pieces/corners keeping Sowerby and his defence alert to the potential dangers. The second half kicked off in almost identical manner to the first with Creesey clear on goal in the opening minute and denied by a combination of Danny Greaves and Myers but they did double their advantage two minutes later as Jimmy Tucknott headed home an inswinging Coles corner. As the half wore on the home side began to play some attractive football but without the acumen to seriously trouble the 'Bridge defence and failing also to make the best of several set piece situations. It was a similar story in the end for the visitors who should have increased the margin of victory as Jones could not get enough on a Coles cross and Lancaster fired wide and then high with only Myers to beat. Three points and the first clean sheet of the season were the most pleasing aspects and with three home games on the trot Ekin will be hoping to break this season's Aldborough Road jinx.
Man of Match - Andy Layton
15/09/12 - Boroughbridge AFC 3-1 Pateley Bridge - Whitworth Cup
'Bridge broke their home duck this season as they progressed to the next stage of the Whitworth Cup but made hard work of beating their Harrogate League opponents. Even though 'Bridge had the edge from the start the visitors proved resolute and it was 26 minutes in before Fraser Lancaster seriously tested Kevin Slinger following a ball in from Dan McDaid. A minute later they took a fortuitous lead as Kyle Kerley and Barry Pryce chased for a ball in the Pateley penalty area with Kerley's outstretched leg beating knocking the ball past his keeper. This gave the home side added confidence and 12 minutes later they added their second with Martin Hutchinson finishing off good link up play involving McDaid and Jimmy Tucknott. 'Bridge should have been comfortable at this stage but conceded four minutes before the break from a Dave Fletcher free kick headed home by Andy Winder only for Pryce to regain their two goal cushion in injury time. The second half saw the introduction of Jack Herron for his 1st team debut for the injured Andy Layton and the teenager adapted well showing a composure that was lacking at the other end of the field where 'Bridge missed a hatful of chances. There was an occasional flurry from Pateley but the home side now progress to a quarter final tie on the Harrogate Stray against Killinghall Nomads.
Man of Match - Jimmy Tucknott
22/09/12 - Boroughbridge AFC 2-6 Oxenhope Recreation - League
It was back to West Yorkshire League action with visitors Oxenhope the beneficiaries of some shambolic defending as 'Bridge sank to their fourth successive League defeat. Oxenhope got the fillip of a 4th minute opener when a right wing cross from the dangerous Chris Day found Gaz Ritson who had space and time to pick his spot. As 'Bridge responded Ben Jones was just off target with a header to a cross from the returning Mark Burniston and on 21 minutes Jones was again in action as he was adjudged to have been fouled in the box. Martin Hutchinson's initial strike was saved by Nick Hudson but Hutchinson was able to knock home the rebound. Five minutes later Tom Sowerby and Dan McDaid failed to deal with a clearance leaving Day to chip into an empty net and it was six minute into the second half before the home side levelled with Nick Creesey converting a Chris Stephenson free kick. Within eight minutes 'Bridge had contrived to throw the game away as James Bailey and Ritson capitalised on mistakes from Baz O'Neill and Ben Mudd to put the visitors in comfort zone which was consolidated by a second from Bailey on 66 minutes. Ben White and Daniel Moriarty were now running the show for the visitors and their long journey home was made a little sweeter with their sixth from Chris Newman five minutes from time.
Man of Match - Jack Herron & Chris Stephenson
29/09/12 - Boroughbridge AFC 4-2 Field Sports & Social - League
Manager Daz Ekin introduced centre back Tom Robinson into his side who along with Mark Burniston and the returning Liam Healey and Jimmy Tucknott formed a new back four but it was deja vu Oxenhope as they again went behind in the fourth minute, Glynn Hirst picking up a pass from Josh Milner to round Healey and fire past Tom Sowerby. Fortunately, with confidence low, the lead did not last with Ben Jones taking advantage of a slide rule Baz O'Neill free kick to fire past Karl Renardson for the equaliser. Hirst responded with a fine run and superb cross that was cleared by Robinson whilst at the other end Mattie Thompson and Ian O'Hare had powerful drives shave the bar. There was little between the two sides until 'Bridge gained the initiative on 32 minutes as O?Neill, Thompson and Hutchinson combined to give the predatory Jones an easy tap in and on the stroke of half time he completed his hat trick taking advantage of hesitancy by Renardson to head home. Tucknott missed a great opportunity to improve the position after half time with a free header to a Chris Stephenson corner and John Selby was equally guilty for Field latching on to an incisive Milner pass and firing wide from five yards. It was game on 55 minutes when a 'Bridge free kick was headed straight back and indecision from Sowerby allowed Lee Burgess to run through and reduce the deficit. Both sides had further opportunities with the best of these falling to O'Neill who could not find the target after rounding the 'keeper and it was left to Stephenson to secure the points with a superb strike from 22 yards that nestled sweetly in the bottom corner to give 'Bridge their first home League victory of the season.
Man of Match - Tom Robinson
06/10/12 - Liversedge FC Reserves 2-4 Boroughbridge AFC - County Cup
Five backwords since Thursday, only two subs and getting stuck for 20 minutes in a Wedding's traffic was not ideal preparation but the result proved worthwhile and 'Bridge now face a trip to Robin Hood Athletic in the next round. Tom Sowerby was in early action saving well in a one on one situation with Niall Simpson, but it was 'Bridge who took a deserved if fortuitous lead on 11 minutes. Danny Webster, on his return to the 1st team, started things off moving the ball on to Mattie Thompson who linked with Mark Burniston and his superb cross, on its way to Ben Jones, was turned into his net by Luke Hammond. Simpson and Chris Dennison both brought good saves out of Sowerby before 'Bridge had a further setback on 29 minutes when Chris Stephenson was dismissed following a spat with Ben Green. The tables turned in their favour within three minutes when Martin Hutchinson scored from the spot after an alleged tug on Jones. Two nil should have been three early in the second half as Jimmy Tucknott missed a sitter from a Hutchinson corner and six minutes later the deficit was halved with a goal from Jack Rodgorson. 'Bridge were holding their own, just, despite the man disadvantage and a spot of pressure brought its reward 20 minutes from time. Jones headed over a Burniston cross, Ryan Blythe saved well from Ben Mudd who then won a free kick taken by Hutchinson and this time Jones gave the 'keeper no chance with a superb header. Back came Liversedge reducing the arrears through a Simpson penalty after Tucknott had tripped Dennison but just as the visitors had produced the best move for the opening goal they ended the game with a terrific individual goal from Nick Creesey, picking the ball up in his own half, beating two men and as a defender was running him down he fired past Blythe from 15 yards out. In the circumstances this was a good result for 'Bridge but Manager Ekin is fully aware of the need for greater consistency from his players if they are to gain some momentum for some tough matches ahead.
Man of Match - Danny Webster
13/10/12 - Boroughbridge AFC 1-7 Beeston St. Anthony's - League
'Bridge could argue about the margin but they can certainly have no complaints about the result suffering another humiliating defeat at their Aldborough Road ground. Consistency is the key to any success and this is an area lacking in the current 'Bridge squad with not one player in Saturday's line up that has started every game. The defensive formation again showed changes and within eleven minutes Beeston was already in the ascendancy with a two goal salvo. The first came from a poor challenge that went unpunished and Steve Crawford was able to chip Tom Sowerby and within two minutes 'Bridge's defensive frailties were exposed as Ryan Boden headed home a Carl Feehan cross. Ben Jones gave his side a glimmer of hope on 17minutes chesting down a goal kick and firing past a surprised Stefan Kerr from 30 yards out but the joy was short lived Crawford picking up a Liam Healey back pass to set Boden up with his second. Before the half hour mark Beeston added a fourth as Carl Feehan headed home a Ben Haigh and eight minutes into the second half Sean Jeavons was left unmarked to head home number five. 'Bridge huffed and puffed without making any clear cut chances until the 80th minute when Stevie Coles forced a save from Kerr after Jones had headed on a Chris Stephenson free kick but with the game in injury time the home side's miserable afternoon was exacerbated by further goals from Lee Turnbull and Steve Wardman.
Man of Match - Ben Jones
20/10/12 - Killinghall Nomads 0-11 Boroughbridge AFC - Whitworth Cup
Played at Aldborough Road
As the Stray was unfit Nomads yielded home advantage which unusually for 'Bridge this season was to their advantage from the 4th minute when Ben Jones opened his account. Nomads had a few sporadic forays into the 'Bridge area but it was the home side who struck next with Baz O'Neill's drive from the edge of the box too good for the diving Sean Gill and on 23 minutes Matt Thompson beat Gill to a Jones flick to round the 'keeper for the third. Martin Hutchinson provided a superb cross for Thompson to head home the fourth to leave the home side in a comfortable position at the break which they consolidated on 59 minutes with a second from Jones set up by Thompson & O'Neill. Five minutes later O'Hare and Jones combined for number six and Thompson's hat trick which was quickly followed by Sam Deegan deflecting a Ben Mudd cross into his own net. Craig Ramplin tested Tom Sowerby with a rare Nomads sortie but it was 'Bridge who finished the stronger with a four goal salvo. Dan McDaid was the destroyer in chief with a hat trick in the space of nine minutes as he tapped home an O'Hare cross, smacked in his second from the left finishing off with a diving header and in between his last two Jones completed his hat trick from a Ben Mud cross. 'Bridge now await the winners of the Knaresborough/Beckwithshaw game and it is the Secretary's understanding from his communication with the Harrogate FA that they are looking to play the semi finals mid week to increase the standing of the competition.
Man of Match - Matt Thompson
27/10/12 - Boroughbridge AFC 3-1 Brighouse Old Boys - League
Dan McDaid making his first start for several weeks gave 'Bridge the fillip of an early goal latching on to an incisive through ball from Martin Hutchinson to smash past Jason Hibbert after only four minutes. The Brighouse keeper was in action shortly afterwards saving from Matt Thompson and it was mid way through the half before Luke Johnson and then Rob Kenny tested Tom Sowerby with a couple of long shots. Peter Kulecyko shot tamely into the side netting from another corner but just when 'Bridge looked to be going into the break with a lead Sowerby let an innocuous cross from Joe Nelson slip through his grasp for the equaliser. Paradoxically this had a positive effect on the home side who started the second half with Jimmy Tucknott firing over, Thompson and Nick Creesey both having good opportunities and Hibbert saving well from Creesey. It was from this resulting corner that 'Bridge regained the advantage with Liam Healy rising above the rest to head home McDaid's corner. Kenny headed wide as the visitors responded but Bridge were looking more assured than of late and having the better of the chances with a 73rd minute penalty reward for their attacking play. Danny Webster started the move off in his own half linking with several players before being chopped down by Andy Burton leaving Hutchinson to calmly stroke home the resultant spot kick. 'Bridge saw out the game comfortably and will be hoping to make it a hat trick of victories from their trip to Robin Hood Athletic, who just missed out on promotion last year and are in a rich vein of form taking all three points from their trip to League leaders Stanley United.
Man of Match - Ben Mudd
03/11/12 - Robin Hood Athletic 5-2 Boroughbridge AFC - County Cup
On a playing surface much akin their own Bridge could have no complaints as they were dumped out of the County Challenge Cup by their more incisive Division One opponents. Hood got off to a great start with a Danny Chadwick cross deflected off Ben Mudd past a stranded Tom Sowerby and on 16 minutes Jason Davis turned his defender to set up the second for Phil Mitchell. The home side were playing a five midfield and their better retention of the ball made it harder for the visitors to get any sort of control and on 23 minutes Lee Harris played a superb ball round the back of the 'Bridge defence for Davis to hit home the third. Baz O'Neill forced an immediate save out of Chris Barrow but Hood continued to enjoy the better of the half and thoroughly deserved their interval lead. Four minutes into the second half a Tom Carter mistake allowed Matt Thompson to cross for Mark Burniston to score and two minutes later he burst through the home defence to add his second. Back in the game and with keeper Barrow seemingly struggling 'Bridge failed to exploit the potential vulnerability and on 83 minutes Scott Burns laid on a second for Mitchell. Any hope of a recovery for the visitors went when Dan McDaid missed an absolute sitter a minute later and their misery was compounded in injury time with a fifth from Harris.
Man of Match - Mark Burniston
10/11/12 - Boroughbridge AFC 8-1 Barwick - League Cup
'Bridge's reward for this League Cup victory is a trip to Robin Hood Athletic where Manager Daz Ekin will be looking to reverse the previous result. The game did not start well for a 'Bridge side that showed three positional changes to accommodate for the missing Mark Burniston and in the opening 12 minutes Liam Healey got away with a hand ball, an unmarked Karl Smith was unable to get anything on a Liam Robinson cross and the latter then failed to capitalise on an Andy Layton error. The pattern of the match changed on 16 minutes as Martin Hutchinson won the ball in midfield to set Dan McDaid down the left and when, from his cross, Ben Jones had his first effort cleared he reacted the quicker to strike the rebound into the corner of Neil Howard's goal. Kyle O'Reily brought a good save out of Tom Sowerby but the home side were enjoying more of the game and on 28 minutes Jones added his second with a powerful header to a McDaid corner followed by a Hutchinson penalty after Danny Webster had been chopped down. A cascade of goals followed in the opening eighteen minutes of the second half as Matt Thompson's deflected effort wrong footing Howard for the fourth, good build up play down the left resulting in Webster's diving header to a McDaid cross and Tucknott heading home the fifth from an O'Hare free kick. The visitors also got in on the goal act with Mark Brown taking advantage of poor control by Healey to unleash at beauty from 25 yards with a quick riposte from 'Bridge as Jones got on the end of a Hutchinson free kick to complete his third hat trick of the season. Thompson completed the scoring 12 minutes from time with a simple tap in after 'keeper Howard dropped an innocuous Jake Fletcher cross.
Man of Match - Danny Webster
17/11/12 - Boroughbridge AFC 1-2 Pool AFC - League
Fortunately for 'Bridge the talking points after the game related to the Match Officials which consequently camouflaged an inept performance from the home side especially in the 1st half where they did not achieve one shot on target. Pool, who languish at the bottom of the table, certainly had the better of the early play forcing a couple of corners but the game was into the 23rd minute before Tom Sowerby produced the first save of the afternoon palming away a James Carroll effort and two minutes later they went in front, Grant Bligh punishing a Baz O'Neill error. 'Bridge could not get any sort of rhythm to their game and their frustration was exacerbated by some exuberant tackles which literally left their mark on the home players. Their only real chance of the first half came three minutes before the break as Ben Jones headed a Jimmy Tucknott cross wide and a minute later Liam Healey was robbed in midfield by Neil Ebdon and a powerful finish by Bligh doubled the visitors' advantage. Five minutes into the second half Ben Jones threw 'Bridge a lifeline finishing off a Dan McDaid pass but still they lacked a cutting edge and it was Jeremy Zorrilla who came nearest to scoring for Pool hitting the post in the 66 minutes after dispossessing Tucknott. A minute later a Nick Creesey effort had goal written all over it only to hit the underside of the bar and be scrambled to safety by the Pool defence which was as near as they got with the visitors looking the more likely to add to their tally. The disappointment of the home contingent was compounded by the dismissal of O'Neill in the last minute of the game for an infringement less dangerous than some of the earlier incidents which together with the verbal abuse allowed by the Match Officials made them the talking point rather than the game.
Man of Match - Danny Webster & Nick Creesey
24/11/12 - Boroughbridge AFC 6-1 Carlton Athletic - League
An excellent start and early goals from Ben Jones and Matt Thompson was the catalyst for this victory as 'Bridge looked unrecognisable from the side that succumbed so easily the previous week. Visitors, Carlton, who were looking to improve on their miserable November signed three Garforth Town players on before the game but after a short delay due to players having the wrong coloured tape on their socks 'Bridge made a breakthrough after only 5 minutes. A Carlton attack was broken up deep in the their half, a ball out of defence to Matt Thompson, a superb angled ball to Ben Jones and his sweetly hit strike nestled in the bottom corner of the visitors net. Mark Connor hit the side netting as they tried to respond only for 'Bridge to strike next with another superb move involving Mark Burniston, Jones and Danny Webster whose inch perfect cross was swept home by Thompson. New signing Danny Sharriffe was proving a bit of a handful for the visitors but a couple of free kicks in good positions came to nothing and after a frenetic twenty minutes Thompson added his second, picking up a pass from Dan McDaid, sidestepping two defenders and stroking the ball past the oncoming Surula Bojang. Three minutes before the break it got better as McDaid's effort hit the foot of the post and went in off the unlucky Bojang after Thompson headed on a Ben Mudd free kick. Seven minutes into the second half Carlton were thrown a lifeline as Sowerby could not hold a stinging Sharriffe drive and Lamin Conteh was on hand to knock home. The industrious Ian O'Hare and Nick Creesey together with a resolute back four quelled any aspirations of a fight back as the home side increased their lead on 67 minutes. Burniston picked up a loose ball in midfield, drifted by three challenges to set up Jones and five minutes from time Webster and Jones combined for Thompson to complete his hat trick. A much improved display by the home side was tempered by two cautions and the dismissal of Jim McDaid as the Match Officials once more became the focus of attention rather than the 'GAME'.
Man of Match - Matt Thompson
01/12/12 - Ripon City 4-1 Boroughbridge AFC - League
After a much improved performance last week 'Bridge looked forward to this derby with a degree of optimism only to be stripped of key players, Jimmy Tucknott and Liam Healey, from their defensive formation before the game got underway. With the playing surface not at its best after the inclement weather of the previous days it was a typical derby fixture, frenetic and full of endeavour but a strong second half performance from City gave them a deserved victory and top spot in the League. Ripon opening strongly forcing an early corner and bringing a good save out of Tom Sowerby but there was little goalmouth action in the opening twenty minutes with the focus of action in the combative midfield area. The initial breakthrough came in the 22nd minute from a Matt Thompson cross shot that Mark Rimmer could only palm away and Ian O'Hare was on hand to fire in the rebound. A brief period of 'Bridge supremacy followed as Rimmer was again in action saving from Dan McDaid but the pattern of the game changed on 38 minutes as an unmarked Rob Mortimer headed home a Daz Simpson free kick. It was Ripon who now had bounce in their step and four minutes into the second half Duncan Terry turned his marker to strike home the second and on the hour mark a Ripon free kick, deep in their own half, was partially cleared and from near the touchline Matt McGlinchey's effort flew over Sowerby's grasp for the third. 'Bridge did have a goal disallowed in the last minute but the home side never looked like yielding their advantage and in injury time Adam Robinson picked up the ball in midfield and ran on to slip home the fourth and confirm their superiority.
Man of Match - Andy Layton
08/12/12 - Boroughbridge AFC 4-5 Whitkirk Wanderers - League
Both sides came into this game of the back of disappointing results the previous week with the visitors going away the happier of the two sides as 'Bridge experienced another defensive disaster day and their 7th home defeat conceding 35 goals in the process. The omens did not look too good for 'Bridge from the outset with defensive players, Steve Tovey, Liam Healey & Andy Layton all unavailable forcing Ekin to play the versatile Danny Webster in the position of sweeper and his fourth different role in the last four matches. Also missing were Ian O'Hare, Martin Hutchinson and Matt Thompson with Ekin's defensive dilemma deteriorating further with the withdrawal of Mark Burniston after only twenty seven minutes. The excuses, however, masquerade a reality that 'Bridge go into the New Year with only three home fixtures remaining and if they seep goals at the present rate the downward spiral will continue. The game itself was a fluctuating affair, full of twist and turns, with Whitkirk grabbing the winners in injury time. 'Bridge had started off well enough with Ben Darville rattling the post and Mike Mullenger and Ben Mudd both going close but within five minutes of Burniston's injury the visitors held a two goal advantage. Paul Graham drifted through some feckless challenges for Lutel Williams to score and a minute late Glen Wood headed in a Graham free kick. On 36 minutes poor defending allowed Jimmy Tucknott to slide in a Ben Jones free kick and six minutes into the second half 'Bridge were back on level terms through a superb Mullenger volley. Free kicks littered the game in the next few minutes with 'Bridge the beneficiaries in the 65th minute as Chris Stephenson's 30 yard free kick deceived everyone to give the home side's the advantage and a lead they should have consolidated in the next ten minutes with good opportunities. It was Whitkirk that struck next as the mercurial Matty James set up sub Shane Anderson to fire past Sowerby and seven minutes from time Anderson put Williams through for his second. The visitors' joy was short lived as the persevering Darville pulled the ball back for Jones to net within a minute only for 'Bridge to allow James to again drift through a series of tackles and give Anderson the easiest of finishes and the points.
Man of Match - Ben Darville
15/12/12 - Pool AFC 2-4 Boroughbridge AFC - League
The incessant rain resulted in a greasy playing surface and difficult conditions for defenders which on the day suited 'Bridge as they welcomed back captain Steve Tovey who added authority and organisation to their ranks after a four month absence. Tackles were biting in the opening stages with 'Bridge gaining the early initiative with a superb free kick from Chris Stephenson picking out Jimmy Tucknott to knock home the opener, and minutes later Ben Jones was thwarted in a 50/50 opportunity by keeper Michael Tosney. Grant Bligh missed a chance to level matters from a poor Andy Layton clearance and on 24 minutes Jones showed good strength to hold off his marker, round Tosney, to double his side's advantage. As the playing conditions deteriorated chances fell to Josh Wagstaffe for Pool and Martin Hutchinson for 'Bridge before Neil Ebdon reduced the arrears from a tight angle after a Layton clearance rebounded off Tovey. A recurrence of the defender's injury was a further setback for the visitors but three minutes before the break it got a little sweeter when a Hutchinson shot was partially cleared by James Carroll leaving Thompson to 'shin' in the third. Danny Webster and Thompson were both off target as 'Bridge finished the half the stronger and they continued in this vein after the break with Tosney denying Dan McDaid following some excellent build up play. Tom Sowerby saved well from a Jordan Wagstaff effort before Jones got the better of Tosney for his second in another one-on-one situation only to get injured in the process and replaced by Manager Ekin. Play continued to ebb and flow with Bligh throwing the home side a lifeline in the 74th minute and even though Layton had to clear an Ebdon effort off the line in the last minute 'Bridge comfortably saw out the game.
Man of Match - Danny Webster
05/01/13 - Carlton Athletic 3-1 Boroughbridge AFC - League
'Bridge enjoyed a convincing victory when these two sides met a few weeks back and the omens looked positive in the opening 25 minutes as they dominated possession against a disorganised home outfit. They had the chances but were unable to beat the impressive Mr Bojang and it was 35 minutes before Tom Sowerby saw his first serious piece of action, saving well from Dave Pickering. ‘Bridge did not heed the warning signs and when Martin Hutchinson was dispossessed on the edge of the penalty area James Kitson fired in the opener. Before ‘Bridge had time to recover Carlton consolidated their position with Josh Knaggs converting a Daniel Sharry cross after Hutchinson had headed his first effort off the line. It was role reversal in the second half as Carlton were in the ascendancy and it was Sowerby who kept ‘Bridge in the game with fine saves from Kitson (twice) & Daniel Bray. The introduction of Dan McDaid and Ben Darville invigorated the visitors and on 82 minutes they reduced the deficit with the returning Paul Eagling converting a Darville cross. Pushing for the equaliser Bray caught ‘Bridge on the break to round Sowerby in a one-on-one situation and despite a late McDaid effort rattling the bar and an inspirational performance from Danny Webster it was the closing 20 minutes of the first half that cost them the game.
Man of Match - Danny Webster
12/01/13 - Bardsey 6-1 Boroughbridge AFC - League
'Bridge’s trip was to Bardsey was predictably pointless as they were hit for six and ’Mawled’ by the home side who returned to the top of the League with the victory. The game was only three minutes in when a ball over the top was superbly controlled and finished by Danny Maw to put the home side in front, a position, they never looked back from. Paul Eagling brought a good save out of Jonathan Smith but it was Bardsey who were controlling the game and after Lee Womersley shot narrowly wide a quick break and cross from Mattie Dalton found Mick Longfellow to rifle home number two. ‘Bridge were forced to replace Danny Webster on 25 minutes and after enjoying their best spell of the game they fell further behind to two soft goals before the break. On 38minutes a long Smith clearance bounced over Andy Layton leaving Womersley with time and space to open his account and two minutes later Rob Dickinson picked out an unmarked Maw to give the home side a comfortable four goal lead at the break. Maw was unlucky not to complete his hat trick on the hour mark, his shot hitting the post, and it was the visitors who struck on 64 minutes as a Ben Jones header to a Martin Hutchinson free kick went in off the underside of the bar. It was only brief respite for ‘Bridge as Maw completed his hat trick from the spot 15 minutes from time and went on to add his fourth when Tom Sowerby punched a John Swift free kick into his path five minutes later. Bridge can have no complaints about the result as once more their defensive fragilities were exposed giving them the worst record in the league for goals conceded.
Man of Match - Paul Eagling & Mike Mullenger
02/02/13 - Oxenhope Recreation 5-0 Boroughbridge AFC - League
Sixty three goals conceded in nineteen League matches, six backwords and not a sub in sight reflected Bridge’s inconsistency this season and even then what appears to be a severe drubbing could have been assuaged by some better finishing. Before the game got underway referee Mark Findlay was concerned about the state of the Marley Stadium pitch but after the onerous journey Bridge were keen to play and created the first opportunity with the returning Matt Thompson bringing an early save from Nick Hudson. On eight minutes however they found themselves in arrears as Daniel Moriarty’s low shot from the edge of the box beat Tom Sowerby at his near post and for the rest of the half chances were at a premium with Hudson’s speed off his line to thwart Paul Eagling probably the best of these. Oxenhope opened strongly in the second half forcing a succession of corners resulting in Sowerby producing a fine save to deny Scott Nelson but it was Hudson who was next in action bringing off an excellent save to a strong run and shot from Nick Creesey followed by another quality stop to an Eagling drive. It was too good to last and optimism in the ‘Bridge’s camp dissipated in a ten minute spell by the home side which produced three goals. On 68 minutes Gareth Ritson found enough space in the penalty area to turn and hit home the second with Bridge’s inability to defend set pieces then highlighted as an unmarked Jason Walton headed home the third from a corner and it was déjà vu a minute later as Chris Day added the fourth. Crestfallen ‘Bridge had little left to give and with no subs to freshen things up it was no surprise when Michael Garnett knocked in a Moriarty cross for the fifth a minute from time.
Man of Match - Nick Creesey
09/02/13 - Boroughbridge AFC 0-3 Leeds City - League
For seventy minutes of the game ‘Bridge were always in with a shout only to be let down in the end by a poor defensive first half goal and discipline. City opened up with an early corner headed off the line by Ben Mudd which was quickly followed by Paul Eagling firing narrowly wide with Any Doey beaten before the visitors should have gone ahead on 16 minutes when Rob Potter failed to hit the target with only Hogg to beat from an excellent Jason Miler cross. There was little goalmouth activity for the next 15 minutes until Andy Layton sold his keeper short leaving Jason Hochstrasser with the simple task of putting his side in front. The home side responded well with Nick Creesey striking a free kick straight at Doey, Mark Burniston just over with a good attempt and a confident penalty appeal turned down before the game threatened to boil over just before the break when a reckless challenge from a City player went unpunished resulting in Creesey and Mudd both going into referees Collinson’s notebook for their reaction. The competitive edge continued after the break with chances at a premium until ‘Bridge were reduced to ten men seventeen minutes from time as Creesey was again on the end of a poor tackle and his response on this occasion left the Official with no option. Two minutes later ‘Bridge had their best chance of the game as Jimmy Tucknott headed a Chris Stephenson free kick past the upright but on 77 minutes City made their advantage tell with a good move down the left ended by a clean strike from Potter that gave Hogg no chance. A minute later they wrapped the game up with a free kick from Daniel Freeman that was headed back across goal for Potter to nod in his second leaving ‘Bridge with only two goals for and 17 against from their four outings this year.
Man of Match - Ben Mudd
16/02/13 - Wetherby Athletic 3-0 Boroughbridge AFC - League
Constructing first team reports is becoming a little tedious with a too familiar narrative as ‘Bridge again went behind to a poor defensive first half goal, matched their opponents for the majority of the game and then fell off at the end. The game started off at a good tempo with both sides finding control difficult on a bobbly playing surface. Darren Butterworth was the busier of the two keepers as ’Bridge probably shaded the opening exchanges but on 29minutes a Ben Mudd crossfield pass was intercepted by Dan Slater and three passes later Paul Hustwit tucked away the opener. This gave the home an upsurge in confidence and for the rest of the half ‘Bridge were restricted to shooting from distance with efforts from Ben Jones and Jim McDaid failing to trouble Butterworth. ‘Bridge started positively after the break with Paul Eagling at the forefront of their attacks but they lacked that cutting edged to break through a resolute home defence and on 66 minutes went further behind with a superb strike from Neil Dickie that gave veteran keeper Alastair Hogg no chance. Mark Burniston and Barry Pryce were brought on to freshen things up but it was Wetherby who finished the stronger as Jimmy Tucknott cleared a corner off the line, Hogg saved well from Brain Ross before another corner a minute from time was converted by Roman Neal for their third. This was their fifth consecutive League defeat and with only three points out of their last eight matches and 31 goals conceded ‘Bridge need to start picking up points urgently if they to avoid being dragged into a relegation scrap.
Man of Match - James McDaid
23/02/13 - Boroughbridge AFC 4 A 3 Rothwell - League
Abandoned after 90 minutes due to five red cards
In football at this level, or any level for that matter, there are days where things don’t go your way, days where things go your way and days where things are just downright crazy and Saturday was a cocktail of all of them. Adorned in their brand new Ventbrook Events change kit, and with Ventbrook representatives on hand to witness the afternoon’s action, Daz Ekin’s men picked straight up where they had left off in previous weeks: inept in front of goal and even more so in defence. The most notable ‘Bridge act of the first half hour was a spectacular, if off-target, overhead shot from Ben Jones which went wide of Rothwell ‘keeper Jonathan Gardiner’s right-hand post. On the half hour mark the story became all the more familiar with the returning Tom Sowerby making two excellent blocks but unable to do anything about the third attempt from close range by an unmarked Ryan Donoghue. Rothwell continued to dominate and six minutes from the break Jack Herron brought down Liam Moore leaving Donoghue to add his second from the resultant penalty and send his side into the break in cruise mode.

After the break, however, the match was turned on its head, with the action starting just six minutes into the half and continuing throughout. The first scene of the play was acted out by Gardiner and Mark Burniston; the keeper wrestling the latter to the ground, conceding a penalty together with a red card, as he was deemed last man, much to the chagrin of the Rothwell Management. His anger was alleviated when Jones stepped up and fired against the post leaving stand-in keeper Luke Oldroyd untroubled. ‘Bridge were in the ascendency by this point, however, and moments later Andy Layton fired wide from an awkward close range chance, with Jones then making amends for his miss on 55 minutes in latching on to a through ball from Paul Eagling with a thunderbolt of a shot that dipped into the far corner. Even the best play has a twist though, and Rothwell made sure ‘Bridge weren’t going to have things their own way when Tom Sowerby misjudged a corner leaving Tom Greaves to nod home a cross and restore the two nil lead. Having hit the net for the first time in weeks Ekin’s troops were determined not to let this one slip away and were straight back on the attack, with Jones crossing from the left wing to meet James McDaid, who threaded his shot between two defenders to leave the comeback on once more. The frenetic action of the second half was becalmed with ‘Bridge trying to force the pace but nothing to show for their efforts. This was until the 83rd minute when Oldroyd found McDaid’s drive too hot to handle leaving the predatory Jones to knock home the equaliser, much to the exasperation of the visitors and delight of the hosts.

With timing running down, Martin Hutchinson shot straight at the 'keeper before the next twist occurred, with Jimmy Tucknott felled by Greaves just outside the area resulting in a second red card for the visitors. The free kick itself came to nothing but served to cement the momentum firmly in the ‘Bridge camp and with little over a minute left in the match Paul Eagling’s cross found Jones in space around the penalty spot, and with just the ‘keeper to beat he made no mistake firing home for his hat trick sending ‘Bridge into the lead and Aldborough Road into euphoria. As ‘Bridge celebrated, however, the tension boiled over within the visitors camp and they let their frustration show, with the ball being booted into a group of ‘Bridge spectators, hitting one, and Chris Thornton and Andy Payne shortly afterwards shown red cards for dissent. With the match in injury time and three points seemingly in the bag there was still one final twist in this saga with the coup de grace delivered by the Rothwell captain who received a second yellow reducing his side to six players and the abandonment of the fixture. The finale was a frustration for ‘Bridge, who having failed to score in recent weeks can take a lot of heart from the match in showing that they can overcome a deficit and cope when the pressure is ramped up, standing them in good stead for the rest of the season. The issue of the points is a matter for the West Yorkshire League but they will not be able to make a decision until the matter has been dealt with by the West Riding County FA.
02/03/13 - Robin Hood Athletic 1-1 Boroughbridge AFC - League
After Extra Time - 'Bridge win 4-3 on penalties
After defeat in the County Challenge Cup earlier in the season ‘Bridge were looking for a better outcome on their return to the Coach & Horses ground and after 120 minutes of stalemate a trip to Ripon City was decided on a penalty shoot-out. ‘Bridge started well creating the better of the early chances and good play down the left hand side through Paul Eagling and Jimmy Tucknott gave Mark Burniston a good opportunity which looked goal bound until Chris Barrow produced a last ditch save. This apart there was little to choose between the two sides until the 31st minute when a Scott Burns cross was met with a good downward header from Scott Murgatroyd that bounced into the roof of the net with the home side asserting some authority. Tom Sowerby was forced into a couple of good saves from Murgatroyd and Phil Mitchell but for the most part the ‘Bridge rearguard remained well organised and niggardly. The second half started with the visitors more in the ascendancy only to find the Hood rearguard equally parsimonious with Ben Jones side footing wide a superb Liam Healey cross and the best of the meagre openings. It was Jones, as he has done on several occasions and in his parting ‘shot’ of this season, who restored parity heading home a Martin Hutchinson free kick on 78 minutes to take the game into extra time. By this time ‘Bridge had already had to replaced the injured Tucknott and Burniston and Hood pummelled ‘Bridge in the first period of extra time but again found the visitors resolute and Sowerby puling out another very good stop. The second period was more even with neither side creating anything of note until the last minute when Matt Thompson delayed pulling the trigger when clear allowing a desperate Dale Pickering tackle to thwart him. A penalty shoot out followed and was a reflection of the game with the advantage swinging one way and then the other before Andy Layton slotted home the winner after keeper Tom Sowerby produced three fine saves.
Man of Match - Andy Layton & Tom Sowerby
09/03/13 - Boroughbridge AFC 4-4 East End Park - League
Continuous rainfall and a greasy playing surface was ideal for quick incisive football and visitors East End Park soon settled showing why they have improved on the road with superb counter-attacking football that has yielded 21 goals and ten points in their last four outings. Twice in the opening stages the ‘Bridge defence were caught out by the pace of Liam Douglas but failed to heed the warning and on 16 minutes a precision through ball from Mark Chester had them vainly appealing for offside leaving Douglas to go through and beat the advancing Tom Sowerby. Two minutes later another sweeping move from a ‘Bridge corner failed to bring any reward as Liam Clark hit the post and then it was ‘Bridge’s turn to miss a golden opportunity when Martin Hutchinson failed to take advantage of a Paul Eagling pass with the goal at his mercy. This was exacerbated on 24 minutes by a weak defensive header that fell to Luke Coates who was able to double the visitors’ advantage. A quick response was necessary only things were not going the way of the home side as a Steven Paffett cross was deflected over the head of keeper Scott McAllister and cleared off the line, likewise the follow up of Paul Eagling and in the same sequence Matt Thompson’s effort hit the underside of the bar and cleared. Their persistence did pay off in the 36 minute as Thompson played a ball out to Nick Creesey and his superb cross was met by a powerful header from the striker that gave McAllister no chance. ‘Bridge continued from where they had left off after the break with Creesey only able to direct his header from a Liam Healey cross straight at the keeper but from this period of control a misplaced Tucknott pass allowed Douglas to break clear and cross for the unmarked Kyle Wilkinson to knock home. Ten minutes into the second half and again two goals behind the omens were not looking good until a minute later Jimmy McDaid found Tucknott and although his initial effort hit the post Thompson picked up the rebound and unselfishly laid it into the path of Eagling to reduce the deficit. It got even better on the hour mark through the quick thinking McDaid who released Creesey and his cross, bound for an unmarked Eagling, was turned in to his own net by Jamie Hainsworth. As the game swung from end to end Douglas and Wilkinson were both denied by Sowerby before McDaid won the ball on the edge of the area, slipped it through to Thompson who finished with aplomb to give the home side a 76th minute lead. The last occasion ‘Bridge was in a similar position the game was abandoned in injury time but from a very different situation they gave the ball away 70 yards from goal and three passes later Clark got to the by line and from his cross Gareth Mitchell was able to sweep the ball home for the equaliser. Both sides probably felt they had thrown points away after being in control but on a miserable wet afternoon they served up a feast of entertainment and goals and a share of the points.
Man of Match - Nick Creesey
16/03/13 - Boroughbridge AFC 3-1 Beckwithshaw Saints - League
‘Bridge progressed to another Whitworth Cup Final with a workmanlike performance against Harrogate Premier League side Beckwithshaw Saints. In a tentative opening it was the visitors who had the first chance in the 7th minute cleared off the line by Mike Mullenger following a goalmouth scramble but there was little else to cheer the throng as both sides failed to find any rhythm to their game. It was not until the 23rd minute that ‘Bridge created their first serious opportunity Martin Hutchinson off target from a Matt Thompson cross and five minutes later they took the lead through a Jimmy Tucknott header after Liam Healey had flicked on a Chris Stephenson corner. This opened the game up and Thompson tested Keith McKenzie whilst at the other end Lewis Gentle blazed over from a Saints corner to leave ‘Bridge ahead at the break. Five minutes into the second half ‘Bridge gave themselves some breathing space as Stephenson linked with Tucknott and his superb delivery was headed home by Thompson. Saints weren’t finished and the introduction of Dom Creamer and Josh Kidd gave them a much better balance to their side showing why they are contenders in the League title race and on 68 minutes Kidd reduced the arrears with a great finish from the edge of the box. The ‘Bridge defence that had been unyielding suddenly looked more vulnerable and Tom Sowerby produced a couple of good saves and Steven Paffett was in the right place to clear a Sylvester Rowe effort off the line as Saints enjoyed their best spell of the game. Five minutes from time any hope of a comeback evaporated with Thompson latching on to a Nick Creesey pass to roll his marker and fire in his second of the afternoon which was little compensation for an incongruous caution handed out to the striker two minutes previous.

The victory gives ‘Bridge a further showdown with rivals Ripon City and they will certainly have to improve their performance levels if they are to wrest the Whitworth Cup from their local nemesis.
Man of Match - Matt Thompson
30/03/13 - Ripon City 2-0 Boroughbridge AFC - League Cup Quarter-Final
‘Bridge went into this game as underdogs with the end result a reflection of the season for the respective Managers - Paul Vincent was able to run with the side from their previous game with the addition of keeper Mark Rimmer whereas Daz Ekin had five of the players unavailable from the 16 originally selected for the tie and forced to give a debut to keeper Josh Donnelly who was plying his trade with the A team six week ago. Nevertheless the opening exchanges were typical of most derby games uncompromising with no quarter asked or given. Dead ball situations seemed to be the best chance of an early goal as Rob Mortimer headed wide from a Daz Simpson free kick and Dan McDaid failed to find the target after Paul Eagling was brought down on the edge of the box. An early injury to Mark Burniston did not help the visitors cause as the game continued in a similar vein until the 38th minute as a short corner caught the ‘Bridge defence napping and when the cross was whipped in Tom Leeming was there in space to head in the opener. Another free kick, this time to ‘Bridge, should have brought the equaliser but Jimmy Tucknott was unable to trouble Mark Rimmer as Mattie Thompson flicked on a Chris Stephenson free kick. Donnelly produced an excellent save to deny Duncan Terry early in the second half only to be beaten again on 62 minutes with a clinical finish from Joe Knowlson following good link up play between Simpson and McClinchey. Down but not quite out ‘Bridge rallied with Rimmer pushing a Paul Eagling header on to the post before pulling off a point blank save to deny Paul Scaife but that was as good as it got to leave City with a semi final tie against either Wyke Wanderers or Bardsey on the 9th April.
Man of Match - Steven Paffett
06/04/13 - Beeston St. Anthony's 5-0 Boroughbridge AFC - League
‘Bridge travelled to a sunny St. Anthony’s Road knowing that points were of vital importance in their fight to maintain their status in the West Yorkshire League’s top division. Unfortunately, however, Assistant Manager Tony Coles was forced to severely shuffle his pack, to the extent he almost changed decks, due to backwords, absences and injuries. Indeed, from ‘Bridge’s last league game out of the starting line-up went Sowerby, Eagling, Layton, Thompson, Tovey and Tucknott as in came Donnelly, Steve Coles, Dan McDaid, Stephenson, Connor McDaid and Philpott. Such inconsistency is never a good sign, and when lining up against one of the division’s top teams it is disastrous. Coles came with a game plan, which unfortunately for the Beeston substitutes involved a lot of running in the opening stages to fetch balls as ‘Bridge tried to slow down play and disjoint the home side’s rhythm. A point was always the aim, and with no recognised strikers on the pitch, causing the call-up of Marcus Philpott to play at the head of a 4-5-1 formation, a nil nil draw was ‘Bridge’s prime target. They went about their business in a workman-like fashion for the first 20 minutes of the match, and the line-up which lacked experience in the West Yorkshire Premier Division were looking capable of carrying through Coles’s game plan. The plan unravelled in the 19th minute, however, as the home side were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box for a foul by Dan McDaid, which Ryan Boden duly stepped up and curled directly into the top corner, somehow missing every body in the crowded penalty area. ...more
Man of Match - Josh Donnelly
13/04/13 - Field Sports & Social 3-2 Boroughbridge AFC - League
‘Bridge allowed a two goal advantage to slip through their grasp leaving Field to double their home wins for the season which more importantly take them out of the relegation battle but for ‘Bridge the battle goes on with five points separating the bottom five Clubs. On a good playing surface ‘Bridge started brightly with Jim McDaid & Paul Eagling testing Tom Lambert and on 22 minutes deservedly took the lead from a Mattie Thompson penalty after McDaid had been brought down. Thereafter there was little to choose between the two sides with chances at a premium and it was from another dead ball situation that ‘Bridge added their second. The free kick was only partially cleared and when James McDaid got behind the home defence and the ball fell kindly for Steven Paffett to knock in the second after Eagling’s initial effort was blocked. A minute in to injury time Tom Sowerby produced a good save to deny Josh Milner but three minutes later he failed to cut out a Tom Ponter cross with the ball going in off Dan McDaid under pressure from Dan Cunningham. Martin Hutchinson had a chance to consolidate ‘Bridge’s position five minutes into the second half with Thompson unable to take advantage of a better opportunity two minutes later which were to prove decisive on 65 minutes when a quickly taken free kick caught ‘Bridge napping giving Glynn Hurst an easy tap-in. To compound the frustration a minute later Field won the ball on the half way line and two passes later a sweetly struck Hurst volley found the bottom corner of the visitors net dispelling their euphoria of the 1st half into despair. In their last eight fixtures ‘Bridge have taken just a solitary point, conceding thirty two goals and scoring just eight in the process and this weekend face fellow relegation strugglers Whitkirk Wanderers in another six pointer.
Man of Match - Dan McDaid
20/04/13 - Whitkirk Wanderers 5-2 Boroughbridge AFC - League
‘Bridge wobbled, managed to repair the early damage, only to collapse for a second time to the intimidating atmosphere that is Whitkirk. Both sides knew the outcome of the fixture could have a considerable bearing on the relegation struggle and it was obvious before a ball had been kicked the priority for the home side who had a full bench whereas ‘Bridge had only one sub, their Manager and his Assistant to rely on. It took the home side three minutes to open their account as Eder Ruiz fired in the opener and Ryan Robinson could have doubled the advantage ten minutes later with more direction on a free header. ‘Bridge, in comparison, were creating little apart from a Dan McDaid cross that created mayhem in the home box with no one able to take advantage. Tom Lenaghan was next to test Tom Sowerby who produced a good save and from the resulting corner Nathan Stewart rattled the bar with Almozo Hamilton heading over the rebound, but on 29 minutes Ruiz took advantage of a mix up in the ‘Bridge defence to nip in for his second. Ten minutes before the break ‘Bridge looked to have thrown away an opportunity to reduce the deficit when Martin Hutchinson had his penalty saved by Mick Lyons but a minute later Paul Eagling put in Dan McDaid to score before three minutes into the second half the home side conceded another penalty which Steven Paffett converted. The elation lasted one minute as Ruiz knocked in a Stewart free kick for his hat trick and ten minutes later Lenaghan rifled in their fourth with a clean strike from the edge of the box. The drama wasn’t quite over as Paffett was sent off for allowing himself to be used as a punch bag along with two from the home side and Ruiz completed the scoring in the 90th minute of normal time. With Carlton surprise winners over Leeds City and Kippax getting maximum points at Wetherby relegation is a reality as ‘Bridge hit their nadir of one point from their last nine outings and paradoxically the abandoned Rothwell game could prove to be their saviour.
Man of Match - Jimmy Binks
27/04/13 - Boroughbridge AFC 0-0 Otley Town - League
'Bridge rattled the bar/post four times in the course of the game, kept their first clean sheet in the League since September 8th and in the end had to be satisfied with a point as Otley missed their best opportunity of the game in injury time. Manager Daz Ekin lost his captain Martin Hutchinson with a knee infection but also made sweeping changes to the side that had gone down at Whitkirk and the home side could have taken the lead as early as the 7th minute with a drive from Lee Shariff that rattled the bar with Gavin Phillis well beaten. This set the trend for the first half as Paul Eagling fired wide after being put through by Lee Brook and when the roles were reversed Phillis tipped Brook's effort over the bar but it was not all one way with Rob Carr having Otley’s best chance two minutes before the break. The second half followed a similar pattern as Steven Paffett hit the bar, Jim McDaid rattled the post and a superb dipping drive from Mike Mullenger crashed against the bar but all the time 'Bridge had to aware of the occasional Otley break with good defensive play from Andy Layton coming to 'Bridge's rescue in the 68th minute. 'Bridge continued to have the better of the game without seriously troubling Phillis as his defence remained unyielding until a Brook miscue fooled everyone but Eagling was unable to take advantage of the loose ball. An injury to Paffett forced a late change for the home side and ironically it was in this injury time period that Otley produced their best move and chance of the game only for Scott Norton to miss the target when clear on goal. On chances created this was a disappointing result for the home side but with two of the adversaries losing, the point in the survival battle, could prove vital.
Man of Match - James McDaid
04/05/13 - East End Park 1-2 Boroughbridge AFC - League
'Bridge gave away a last minute equaliser when these two sides met earlier in the season at Aldborough Road but on this occasion they held on after having a comfortable two goal cushion at the break to ensure Premier League football next year. On the rare occurrence of no last minute back words Manager Daz Ekin was ‘spoiled for choice’ however it was the home side who forced the early pace with a couple of half chances that came to nothing. ’Bridge’s first real sortie on goal was not until the 16th minute with Park keeper Scott McAllister saving from Andy Layton and a minute later seeing a Baz O’Neill header miss the target before he was beaten on 25 minutes by Ian O’Hare who picked up a loose ball from a goalmouth scramble to fire into the bottom corner. This was the fillip ‘Bridge required and they should have consolidated when a slide rule pass from O’Hare picked out Matt Thompson who rounded the keeper only to fire wide which could have proved costly if Gareth Mitchell had been on target with Park’s best chance of the half a minute later. As it turned out they did end the half with a two goal cushion as Paul Eagling set up O’Hare to smash his second into the roof of the net from 10 yards out only for Park to reduce the arrears within 40 seconds of the restart when Liam Clark finished off a Mike Callaghan cross whilst ‘Bridge appealed vainly that the ball had gone out of play. Callaghan was then denied by the legs of Josh Donnelly as Park again broke down the left but ‘Bridge withstood this period of pressure and should have stretched their lead in the last ten minutes. Nick Cressey, returning after a long injury, and Thompson both had great opportunities but with other results going their way ‘Bridge can go into their last two league games in a more relaxed frame of mind with the knowledge that their survival campaign is over for this season.
Man of Match - Ian O'Hare
07/05/13 - Ripon City 1-2 Boroughbridge AFC - Whitworth Cup Final
‘Bridge came into this Whitworth Cup Final with all league pressures lifted having secured survival in the West Yorkshire Premier Division after a two one victory at East End Park the prior weekend. With league survival the primary target for Daz Ekin’s men the Final offered the opportunity of adding silverware to a season which had been spent very much treading-water. The form tables did not look good, however, and on top of seeking their seventh win on the bounce over ‘Bridge, a City side at the opposite end of the league were in search of completing a League-Whitworth Cup double after having won the League Cup with a last minute goal the week before. The return of the likes of Baz O’Neill and Lee Sherrife allowed Ekin to put out a strong squad though, and confidence was boosted by the absence of Mark Rimmer from the City goal, a player who has put in numerous good performances against ‘Bridge in recently times. ...more
Man of Match - Liam Healey
11/05/13 - Boroughbridge AFC 1-1 Kippax - League
‘Bridge went into this game on the back of a successful week with their survival confirmed and a Whitworth Cup Final triumph over old adversaries Ripon City importantly reducing the need for a victory. Contrary to paper talk Ekin’s hand was forced by the absence of four players on a stag weekend, Paul Eagling’s Half Marathon stint, Steven Paffett’s suspension and an injury picked up on Tuesday night by Ian O’Hare forcing several changes to the Cup winning side, but they should have taken the lead in the 6th minute with Baz O’Neil gaining possession in midfield before passing out to Lee Sheriffe who put in a telling cross only for Barry Pryce to chest the ball over the bar from three yards out. The home side looked the more threatening but it was Kippax who took an important lead on 17 minutes; Joe Thorpe taking advantage of a poor Andy Layton challenge and uncertainty from Tom Sowerby to poke home the opener, and he had Sowerby at full stretch minutes later with a drive from the edge of the box destined for the bottom corner. Sheriffe was next to miss the target after his mazy run took him past three defenders, followed on 39 minutes by Dan McDaid latching on to namesake Jim’s precise through ball to have his first effort blocked by ‘keeper Joe Bond and then fire over the rebound from six yards out. The windy conditions and hard surface had made playing conditions difficult in the first half but it was dispersed with flurries of quality, whereas the second half was a matter of the visitors content to hold on to what they had and ‘Bridge lacking the flair or vision to change the pattern of the game. On 77 minutes ‘Bridge had their first effort of note from a driving run and shot from Nick Creesey that flashed by the upright with Bond well beaten and their equaliser coming three minutes from time through a Layton header to a Creesey cross. Kippax had a couple of late sorties that came to nothing and they go into their last game away at Brighouse on Monday night in the knowledge that one point will ensure their safety from relegation.
Man of Match - Barry Pryce
18/05/13 - Brighouse Old Boys 2-3 Boroughbridge AFC - League
'Bridge finished their season off in some style coming back from 2-1 down to record only their second double of the season and against sides in the top half of the table. After a tentative opening the game sprung to life on 12 minutes as Martin Hutchinson and Paul Eagling both had efforts blocked which was quickly followed by some deft footwork from Martin Roy and James Fletcher only for the latter to miss the target when well positioned. In general defences were giving little away until ‘Bridge took the lead on 32 minutes, Liam Healey firing into the bottom corner after ‘Brighouse failed to clear a Hutchinson free kick. The lead, however, only lasted three minutes with Tom Sowerby unlucky to see a James Fletcher header to a superb Luke Johnson shot deflect off his leg into the net. Bridge continued to have the better of the opportunities with efforts from Eagling and Nick Cressey which was followed by two great chances in the space of three minutes that sliced open the home defence only for Barry Pryce to fire over and Ian O’Hare to shoot wide with only keeper Joe Stead to beat. These were made to look costly on 55 minutes with Johnson skipped his way through four ‘Bridge players to lay on a simple tap-in for Alex Tait. This was a more resilient ‘Bridge side and after Eagling fired wide from a good position following good work from O’Hare and Pryce, the visitors got back on terms with Cressey, Tucknott and Pryce combining to slip in Eagling who skipped past Lee Williams before shooting across Joe Stead into the bottom corner. There was still time for either side to snatch the victory and eight minutes from time Stead produced a good save to deny Pryce which proved futile when the resulting Eagling corner was headed home by Tucknott to ease the long trip home. Victories at either end of their campaign proved invaluable as ‘Bridge ended a difficult season in 12th place and if the situation is to improve next year commitment and consistency must be high on Manager Ekin’s agenda.
Man of Match - Paul Eagling
Official Boroughbridge AFC Club Partners 2015/16
Boroughbridge AFC
John Ellis Builders
Boroughbridge AFC
The Three Horse Shoes
Boroughbridge AFC
Reed Boardall
BOroughbridge AFC
The Black Bull Inn
The Club would like to thank all our partners and sponsors for the 15/16 season. For information on how to sponsor the Club, please see the Sponsors section.