Boroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFC Boroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFC
Boroughbridge AFC Match Reports 13/14
August to December
20/07/13 - Boroughbridge AFC 3-1 Pontefract Collieries - Friendly
Strike early and then defend the game out was the story for 'Bridge on Saturday as they opened their Pre-Season 2013 campaign with a win against Northern Counties East League Division One side Pontefract Collieries. Organised by ex-Pontefract star James McDaid, 'Bridge's current captain, the match kicked-off what is a packed pre-season schedule for Daz Ekin's men. As kick-offs go this was one of the better examples, as the home side had the lead within 35 seconds after Matt Thompson hit the ball home before many, both on and off the pitch, had time to awake from their off-season slumber. The visitors had their first forray into the 'Bridge half in the eighth minute but Josh Donnelly in the 'Bridge goal gave an indication for the sort of game he was to have with a commanding advance to clear his lines and avert danger, and within a minute the 'Bridge lead was two after Martin Hutchinson chipped the ball over the ?keeper whilst under pressure on the edge of the box from several advancing opposition defenders. Danny Webster quickly had a chance to add a third, but couldn't get a head to the cross and after Pontefract unthreateningly headed over Donnelly's goal 'Bridge had a clear cut chance to pad their advantage from a James McDaid free kick. ...more
30/07/13 - Knaresborough Town 5-2 Boroughbridge AFC - Friendly
Since Knaresborough Town's promotion to the Northern Counties East League at the end of the 2011/12 season, the 'El Clasico' fixture had been a notable absence from both sides' schedules. It was with great enthusiasm therefore, with which this fixture was approached by both sides, especially given the added significance of this being a charity game involving personnel or former personnel from both sides. The Sadie Rose Challenge Cup was at stake, with all money raised on the evening going to the Neuroblastoma Children's Cancer Alliance UK.

After completing their warm-ups in shirts adorning the name of the charity they were supporting, both sides united for a joint team photo. Once business got underway it was the hosts who were straight on the attack, with Danny Webster clearing off the line as early as the fourth minute. A darting run from Mike Mullenger to set up a shot that went just over the bar was about as good as it would get for 'Bridge in the first half, and within the next ten minutes Liam Gray, Seb Carole and Dave Thomas would all test Josh Donnelly in the 'Bridge goal. Indeed, it was Carole who opened the scoring in the 18th minute after moving down the right and firing past Donnelly. ...more
Man of Match - Liam Healy
01/08/13 - Boroughbridge AFC 2-4 Glasshoughton Welfare - Friendly
On one of the hottest evenings of the year so far 'Bridge welcomed Northern Counties East League Premier Division outfit Glasshoughton Welfare to Aldborough Road for their third of four pre-season friendlies. With temperatures in the high 20s, the heat was always going to be a factor in the game, but after work in pre-season on fitness this would prove to be a good workout for 'Bridge.

The opening ten minutes saw action at either end with first Steve Paffett clearing off the 'Bridge lines before James McDaid found himself through on goal at the other end of the park only to be beaten to the ball by the advancing Welfare 'keeper. The higher ranked visiting outfit found their breakthrough on sixteen minutes when after being unable to manufacture a shot the ball was played out to the right wing. From there it was hit with finesse from a wide position and Josh Donnelly in the 'Bridge nets could only watch as the ball sailed over his outstretched arm and into the back of his goal. ...more
06/08/13 - Boroughbridge AFC 2-3 Carlisle United XI - Friendly
After a bumper pre-season made up of three teams from the Northern Counties East League, 'Bridge saved the best until last in every respect as they rounded out their preparations for the 13/14 season by welcoming a representative side from League One's Carlisle United to Aldborough Road. The Club also welcomed the London Branch of the Carlisle United Supporters' Club for the evening as match sponsors, and some ten Branch members were present to witness proceedings. With the pitch in pristine condition both sides emerged into a warm summer's evening for the kick-off and 'Bridge captain James McDaid presented United captain Frank Wallace with a pennant marking the occasion, before referee Garreth Rhodes conducted the coin-toss.

It was 'Bridge who were straight on the attack from the kick-off, with Jimmy Tucknott feeding in Paul Eagling as early as the fourth minute, only for Eagling to see the ball cleared by the United defence. The very next minute and the visitors had shown their intent as well, with Jason Blackburn forcing Tom Sowerby into a save in the home goal. As the match settled into a steady tempo following the early exchanges, it was 'Bridge who were marginally on top, and on 12 minutes it was Paul Eagling once again who forced the visiting defence into action when he shot at goal from the left-hand side of the box, with United 'keeper Lewis Brass diving to his right to tip the ball round the near post. From the resulting set of two corners the ball eventually found its way out into midfield, where it was passed to Matt Thompson. Thompson then surged forward, picking his way through the visiting defence before slotting home from just inside the area ...more
Man of Match - Matt Thompson
17/08/13 - Boroughbridge AFC 3-3 Horbury Town - League
'Bridge started their season in style with a three nil interval lead against newly promoted Horbury Town and could even afford the luxury of a penalty miss, but after the break the tables were completely turned as the visitors came back to earn a share of the points. The home side got off to a dream start with team captain James McDaid firing into the bottom corner on six minutes after Nick Cressey's effort was blocked, and they got the rub of the green three minutes later from an own goal as Mike Mullenger went into a 50/50 tackle with centre back Marc Keane. The home side were dominating at this stage and Mullenger was unable to capitalise when 'keeper John Tierney spilled a Matt Thompson effort, but they did not have to wait long for the third goal, which came on the half hour mark as Jimmy Tucknott headed home a Cressey free kick. It should have been four just minutes later as Thompson was brought down by Chris Smith only for the striker, who has knocked goals in for fun pre-season, to miss the target. 'Bridge started the second half with a couple of opportunities but the pattern of the game changed after just six minutes. Lee Mills headed over from a good position on 51 minutes and a minute later Gary Wood took advantage of an Elliott Clay error to round Tom Sowerby and open Horbury's account in the Premier Division. Buoyed by this Town looked a different side and were helped by indecision in the home ranks. James Mountain should have done better on 55 minutes and soon afterwards Tristan Cost was unable to make the most off a poor Sowerby clearance. The warning signs were there but went unheeded and the deficit was reduced on 77 minutes as Lee Mills converted a penalty following a Clay foul and three minutes later Mountain made up for his earlier miss by heading home a Mills cross. For 'Bridge it was a disappointing end after such a promising start but credit to the Division's new side who took advantage of some indifferent 'Bridge play to take home a deserved point. A further set back to the home side was an injury to Nick Cressey that looks likely to keep him out of action for several weeks.
Man of Match - Danny Webster
21/08/13 - Bardsey 1-1 Boroughbridge AFC - League
After conceding three second half goals in their opening match against Horbury Town, ‘Bridge came into this match against reigning league champions Bardsey expecting a tough test and under pressure to pick up points to make up for the disappointment of the weekend. Injuries and suspensions meant the hosts had a severely weakened squad, but they showed why they have the Premier Division trophy in their grasps with a bright start, with Rob Dickinson heading over the bar in the first minute. This served as an early wake-up call for Daz Ekin’s side and in the fourth minute Paul Eagling was denied by Ben Danby in the Bardsey goal after spending too long lining up his shot. An eighth minute James McDaid corner, whipped across the face of goal but untouched by all in the box, was soon afterwards followed by more precision free kicks by McDaid, with Andy Layton and Ben Jones heading wide in the 19th and 23rd minutes respectively. The half hour mark was met with a Liam Healy shot deflected wide of the mark and Andy Layton firing wide of the right-hand post from the resulting corner. Three minutes later, however, Jason Davies launched a 40-yard drive which kept Paul Diamond rooted to the spot as it sailed only inches wide of his left-hand post. This acted as the fillip the hosts needed to get themselves back into the game and in the 38th minute Healy was called into action to put in a well timed last man tackle. A Dickinson free kick in the very next minute called Diamond into action to tip over the bar, and a Steve Mallory header just wide of the mark from a corner ensured Bardsey went in at half time with the momentum.

The second half began just as the first had ended and Diamond was forced to tip over the bar from a long range Davies shot in the 51st minute. A Baz O’Neill free kick which went just over the bar following a foul on Matt Thompson outside the area offered a brief respite for ‘Bridge, but they were back on the defensive two minutes later when Michael Longfellow headed wide of the right-hand post from a free kick. The complexion of the game was to change in the 64th minute, however, when James McDaid floated another perfectly weighted free kick into the Bardsey box which was headed home by Liam Healy at the far post to give ‘Bridge the lead against the run of second half play. If it were hoped this would act to shift the momentum in ‘Bridge’s favour, such hopes were misguided and if anything it strengthened the resolve of the visitors who in the ten minutes following the goal had the ball in the back of the net twice only to be denied on both occasions by the offside flag. In the 74th minute Liam Healy was once more called upon to put in a last ditch tackle after Bardsey broke with the ball. Ben Jones’ 80th minute break, fired straight at Danby, did little to alter the course of the game and an 85th minute Dickinson shot deflected off Ben Mudd’s back into the safety of Paul Diamond’s arms was mere evidence of ‘Bridge’s sitting deeper and deeper as they played towards 90 minutes. Ninety minutes came and went, however, and as tension rose to fever pitch ‘Bridge had a chance to end the game when Danby could only clear Matt Thompson’s shot on the break back into Thompson himself, with the ball falling to the advancing Paul Eagling. Eagling’s resulting shot was easily dealt with by Danby, however, and after the resulting corner was easily cleared Bardsey were back on the offensive in search of the equaliser. They would get what they were so desperately seeking in the fifth minute of added time after Longfellow found space in the crowded area to direct home the ball delivered from a free kick amongst confusion from the visiting ranks. As the final whistle blew in the seventh minute of injury time ‘Bridge gaffer Daz Ekin was left to reflect on a famous victory that almost was after his side drew a match they had led for the second game in a row.
Man of Match - Liam Healy
24/08/13 - Boroughbridge AFC 2-2 Field - League
'Bridge came into this match off the back of conceding a 95th minute equaliser in their mid-week match at Bardsey and letting a three nil half time lead slip just a week prior in their opening match to Horbury Town. Despite not losing either game, Daz Ekin's troops were well aware that a loss could very easily see them drop to the base of the table and thus getting points on the board was the name of the game. This is perhaps an explanation for what was a cagey first half, with chances at a premium for both sides. 'Bridge captain James McDaid's ninth minute header which was tipped wide by Field 'keeper Tom Metcalfe turned out to be 'Bridge's only real opportunity of the half, and the visiting side took the lead in the 25th minute when Andrew Benjamin's corner curled its way through the box and into the back of the net without a touch from any other player. The goal did little to ignite the contest and the half was into added time before the next opportunity of note, as Benjamin launched a powerful, long-range shot which was tipped over the bar by Paul Diamond in the 'Bridge goal. Benjamin then headed home from the resulting corner, only for a foul to be given, disallowing the goal.

Thankfully for the gathered spectators, the second half turned out to be more eventful than the first, with the action starting as early as the fifth minute when McDaid cut in from the left wing, skipping through tackles to cross to Mike Mullenger, only to see Metcalfe gather the ball before it could reach its target. If this was a statement of intent from the home side, the visitors showed they were not going to lie down that easily and Benjamin quickly made a run down the left wing before playing a long-range one-two with Joshua Milner on the right wing and heading the ball against the post, only to see the offside flag raised against him in any case. Just as Benjamin was causing 'Bridge problems, however, McDaid was beginning to be a real handful for the Field defence, and in the 54th minute he once again cut in from the left wing, only to be fouled after releasing his shot in the box. Metcalfe guessed the right way from the resulting penalty but Martin Hutchinson safely despatched the ball into the bottom left-hand corner to restore parity. Just a minute later 'Bridge had their second as McDaid finally got his due reward when he fired home through a crowded penalty area after being put in by Matt Thompson on the right. 'Bridge then nearly had a third as the hour mark approached when Andy Layton floated a free kick into the box and Daryll Leach almost headed into his own net under pressure from Ben Jones. As the half progressed, however, Field grew back into the game, and in the 65th minute Christopher Hanney had a chance to draw his side level, only to direct his header from a corner straight to Paul Diamond who was having a stellar outing in the 'Bridge nets. Daz Ekin's men almost had a chance for their third when Metcalfe was caught out by the speed of Mark Burniston and had to employ some fancy footwork to clear the ball when off his lines and with no defenders to help out, but once more they found themselves entering the final five minutes with a solitary goal as their cushion.

The Field equaliser in the 88th minute was reminiscent of the 95th minute equaliser conceded by 'Bridge at Bardsey on Wednesday evening, as the ball was played into a crowded box from the corner and Nathan Woodward turned and hit home, to the joy of his team mates and the despair of 'Bridge who had once again blow three valuable points. Daz Ekin's men have now drawn as many games in their opening three matches as they did in the entirety of last season and will be looking to get more points on the board soon as they face tough matches against Ripon City and at Otley Town before the month is out.
Man of Match - James McDaid
28/08/13 - Boroughbridge AFC 3-1 Ripon City - League
Both sides were eager to earn a victory over their rivals in this Derby Day encounter, but perhaps of greater importance was early season points with both clubs having experienced strong starts to their terms. 'Bridge came into the match unbeaten, but only on three league points after throwing away leads late in all three of their opening games, whilst Ripon were looking to get back to winning ways after defeat to Bardsey at the weekend. It was the home side who got off to the perfect start when in the second minute Baz O'Neill poked home from close range to give Daz Ekin's men the lead. Three minutes later Paul Eagling had the chance to double the advantage when he skipped through tackles down the middle of the pitch before firing weakly wide of the mark. The lead was two, however, in the 14th minute when Levi Crombie advanced down the right wing. He got all the way to the touchline before passing back across the box and whilst Mike Mullenger couldn't get a head to the ball, Eagling was on hand to advance and fire powerfully through City's defence. Five minutes later and the lead was three when Mullenger made a darting run before firing in a long range shot. Tom Bland in the City goal could only tip the ball onto the post and the rebound came back out to Eagling who headed into the ground in an attempt to out-fox the recovering Bland. The ball once again rebounded off the woodwork, however, and out to James McDaid who was following in and made no mistake in firing home. This third goal seemed to awake City from their slumber, and in the 22nd minute Duncan Terry played the ball across the face of goal from the left-wing but with Paul Diamond beaten Kevin Morris was unable to get the touch he needed to direct the ball home. After this warning shot, City made their breakthrough in the 34th minute when the ball was crossed in from the left-hand wing and Matt McGlinchey poked home at the near post under a diving Paul Diamond. Rob Mortimer thought he'd pulled another back on 37 minutes when his shot from an acute angle was almost directed into the back of the net by Diamond, but it was 'Bridge who finished the half the stronger as Danny Webster's throw-in to Eagling found its way to Crombie whose shot was only parried by Bland, with the ball eventually cleared by the City defence.

Unlike in their opening match against Horbury Town, 'Bridge carried their first half dominance into the second half, and in the 57th minute O'Neill fed in Crombie down the left-hand side of the box, whose shot was deflected away from the target by the City defence. Nevertheless this was a statement of second half intent, and just two minutes later Andy Layton headed a corner straight into Bland's arms. Liam Gaffney fired wide for the visitors in the 61st minute after a well engineered move, but play quickly moved back up the other end of the pitch and in the 66th minute Paul Eagling's cross was headed out to Martin Hutchinson on the edge of the box, only for Hutchinson to fire weakly at the 'keeper. Two minutes later and City caught 'Bridge on the break, with Morris advancing into the box only to be tackled by Liam Healy. Morris regathered the ball but Diamond advanced from his lines and claimed easily. This marked a brief period of City ascendency though, and Darren Simpson would have a 73rd minute chance from the edge of the box, only to fire high and well wide of the mark. Paul Eagling had 'Bridge's last chance of the match five minutes from time when he fired straight at Bland from the left wing, but it was City who finished the game stronger with sustained pressure throughout the dying minutes. The visitors had the ball in the back of the net in the second minute of injury time, only to see it ruled offside and 'Bridge saw out the game to win an important Derby Day fixture. Paul Eagling was strong in his Man of Match performance, and he was backed up by strong shifts all over the pitch. 'Bridge remain unbeaten through four league games and move alongside City in the table on six points.
Man of Match - Paul Eagling
31/08/13 - Otley Town 1-3 Boroughbridge AFC - League
The Old Showground is never an easy place to visit, shown no better than the fact that 'Bridge hadn't recorded a win there since April 2009 coming into this match. Their good run of form in the West Yorkshire Premier Division continued, however, as early goals once again set up a victory that kept them unbeaten in competitive fixtures so far this term. 'Bridge got off to the perfect start when in the fifth minute Dan Bradley in the Town goal could only parry James McDaid's free kick. The ball came to Liam Healy who headed goal-wards, with his effort rebounding off a Town defender then back into the net off Ben Jones who knew little of the goal but was in the right place at the right time. Five minutes later and the lead was two when Baz O'Neill scored from a through ball from Matt Thompson. 'Bridge kept the pressure up as the half progressed and Bradley was called into action in the 19th minute when Tom Sowerby's long kick was headed on by Jones and McDaid attempted to lob the ball into the back of the net, only to find Bradley to be up to the challenge. A minute later McDaid had another opportunity only to fire over the bar, and a further minute later Mark Burniston's cleared cross fell to Jones who fired over from around seven yards out. Given this pressure, the third 'Bridge goal hit the back of the net with something of an inevitability, and it was McDaid who scored it after latching on to a Mike Mullenger cushion header. Tom Walker gave the home side their first taste of offensive action in the 32nd minute when he was allowed a shot after a poor Danny Webster clearance, but 'Bridge would finish the half the strongest with Eagling shooting wide in the 34th minute and Jones firing wide of the mark in the second minute of stoppage time.

Town came out firing in the second half, however, and Dan Chadwick shot from distance as early as the 49th minute. 'Bridge quickly got back into their rhythm though and were causing the home side difficulties from set pieces, with two Andy Layton free kicks and a corner forcing the Town defence into action. The hosts had their next chance in the 62nd minute when James Todd broke down the right, only to see Andy Layton clear behind for a corner and O’Neill then clear the resulting set piece. For all the Otley pressure, 'Bridge had a golden opportunity to put the game to bed in the 65th minute when Mike Mullenger put the ball through to Ben Jones with only the 'keeper to beat, only for Bradley to gather easily. Two minutes later and a Sowerby long kick found its way through to Thompson who fired wide of the mark, and with 17 minutes to go Mullenger fire just over the bar with a good effort. Town pulled a goal back two minutes from time via a good shot from James Todd, and their 89th minute corner forced Sowerby into action to come and gather the ball, but as the final whistle rang out 'Bridge could once again reflect on a good result from a good performance, and another three points to add to their league campaign.
Man of Match - Andy Layton
07/09/13 - Shelley 1-0 Boroughbridge AFC - League
'Bridge came into this match against newly promoted Shelley looking to continue their unbeaten start to the 13/14 season. They knew, however, that this would be no easy task with their hosts riding the crest of a wave that had seen them win back-to-back promotions since being accepting into the West Yorkshire League and with significant financial backing behind them. Indeed, it was Shelley who got off to the better start, putting early pressure on Daz Ekin's men. They saw a first minute corner cleared before Andrew Farrell's third minute effort, having been put in by Scott Foulton, was blocked and cleared. ‘'Bridge had their first chance on six minutes when Paul Eagling threaded a pass through to Danny Webster, who squared the ball across the box only for Matt Thompson not to be able to control the pass. An early substitution for the hosts did little to disrupt their offensive unit and in the tenth minute Paul Diamond in the 'Bridge goal was forced into action to save Phill Livsey's shot. Webster and Thompson again linked up a minute later but the latter's shot was deflected away, and in the 14th minute Liam Healy was forced to put Foulton's long pass out for a corner. Livsey's resulting corner was cleared as far as Mathew Thorpe, who shot tamely at Diamond. Robert Bartram was next to try his luck with a long ball, finding Farrell successfully only for Diamond to clear in a 50-50 situation. An 18th minute Livsey corner headed wide by Simon Wright for the hosts gave both sides the chance to breathe after this fast start to the game, and James McDaid's 25th minute 'Bridge free kick, hit low from 30 yards out, did little to trouble Shelley 'keeper Ashley Connor. This marked 'Bridge's emergence into the match, however, and after Baz O'Neill had shot high and wide on the half hour mark, Eagling set-up Thompson in a one-on-one with Connor, with the latter going down early and saving where the former should have done better. Shelley reminded 'Bridge they were still in the contest when Danny Simpson headed Livsey's cross wide in the 35th minute, and the hosts won a 37th minute free kick when Webster fouled Farrell on the edge of the box, with the resulting effort cleared by the visiting defence. Paul Eagling had a late chance to give 'Bridge the lead after Thompson had squared the ball after being put through by Ben Mudd, but Shelley ensured they would have the last word of the half when they won a series of three 43rd minute set pieces which were eventually cleared by 'Bridge.

Going into the second half the hosts picked up where they had left off and within ten minutes of the restart had seen Farrell shoot straight at Diamond and Sam Haigh fire wide of the mark. 'Bridge were ensuring they wouldn’t have things all their own way, however, with McDaid forcing Connor into action, and Thompson breaking with the ball in the 55th minute only to mis-control and be tackled. As the game continued to ebb and flow, Livsey shot a 59th minute effort straight at Diamond and Eagling fired wide of the mark for 'Bridge in the 64th minute. The breakthrough goal in the match was coming though, and come it did in the 66th minute when the ball came out to Haigh who shot from 20 yards out, finding the net to give Shelley a one nil advantage. Almost immediately Thompson had an opportunity to square the match back up when he was delivered the ball in the area, but couldn't gain control and eventually hit the ground, with his penalty appeals waved away. The match took a turn in the 71st minute, however, when Thompson was tackled close to the touchline, making contact with a pitch-side barrier. After on field treatment he was transported to hospital where he was diagnosed with a broken right tibia and fibula. Following this event, the outcome of the match mattered little and the encounter petered out somewhat from its early vibrancy. McDaid's floating 77th minute free kick was easily cleared away, Thompson's replacement Marcus Philpott saw his 79th minute effort saved by Connor and Mark Burniston's 86th minute shot was blocked. 'Bridge did ensure they had the last word in the contest, with Burniston heading down McDaid’'s 90th minute free kick, but as the final whistle blew 'Bridge recorded their first defeat of the campaign. This was of little concern to the players and staff, however, who were holding Thompson in their thoughts as they made their way back to Aldborough Road.
Man of Match - Mark Burniston
14/09/13 - Boroughbridge AFC 3-3 East End Park - League
'Bridge came into this match keen to put memories of the previous weekend at Shelley out of their minds as quickly as possible, and also to get back to winning ways in the West Yorkshire Premier Division. In their way, however, stood a strong looking East End Park side, who made the perfect start to the match as Luke Coates forced Paul Diamond in the 'Bridge goal into action in the fifth minute before advancing to fire home after a twelfth minute throw-in was played across the pitch to the midfielder. This early spell from the visitors awoke 'Bridge, and captain James McDaid proved he was equal to anything East End could throw at him by hitting home to restore parity just two minutes after the opening goal had rippled the back of the net. From here the match opened into a steady ebb and flow as both sides tried to wrestle the momentum from their opponents. Levi Crombie was unlucky to see his 17th minute effort go just wide, and 'Bridge were looking a strong attacking threat with the pace of Mark Burniston on the the right wing, coupled with a string of good crosses from the young player, making Daz Ekin's men look dangerous going forward. At the other end, the visitors would make sure the hosts wouldn't have everything their own way, with Jamie Hainsworth forcing Diamond to pull out a magnificent finger-tip save in the 22nd minute before Curtis Lewis out-paced Andy Layton to force 'Bridge's 'keeper into action once again five minutes later. As the half hour mark passed Layton was forced to clear off the line after Diamond could only parry the ball a short distance from a corner, but 'Bridge would finish the half the stronger as first Paul Eagling played the ball out to Jimmy Tucknott on the left wing, with McDaid not quite able to make contact with the resulting cross, before Crombie fired wide after being put in by Burniston, and Eagling himself saw an effort saved by Ben Hunter in the East End goal.

The second half began much as the first half had with two early goals hitting the nets. In the 51st minute Kyle Wilkinson gave his side the lead by slotting home from the penalty spot, sending Diamond the wrong way, after Liam Healy had fouled Glenroy Hylton. This was quickly followed, however, by McDaid once again proving he was equal to the task by riffling home from close range after Levi Crombie and Paul Eagling had linked up for the latter to cross to the scorer in a brilliant piece of attacking team football. This came in the 58th minute, and by the 61st McDaid had given his side the lead in the contest for the first time after the ball was crossed from the left wing to the right, with McDaid present at the far post to accept his hat-trick with open arms, much to the jubilation of his team mates. If the opening three games of the season taught 'Bridge anything though, it is that a lead is never safe until the final whistle blows, and once more they were left to rue a late lapse of concentration when Liam Clarke headed home at the far post after Diamond, having been excellent all match, mis-judged a cross with thirteen minutes left on the clock. East End had the final word with an acute shot three minutes from time that Diamond parried away and at full time 'Bridge were left to look back on another three points that could have been, but a result that was in all truth a fair reflection of the on-field action.
Man of Match - James McDaid
21/09/13 - Harlow Hill 1-4 Boroughbridge AFC - Whitworth Cup
'Bridge went into the defence of the Whitworth Cup against a Harlow Hill side buoyed by a winning start to the league campaign which together with their Cup successes of last season made Manager Daz Ekin's task of eradicating any complacency from his side a little easier. Despite a niggling injury 'Bridge kept Jimmy McDaid in their starting line and he had the first meaningful shot of the afternoon safely pocketed by a familiar name to the visitors, Chris Hendry, son of Stephen who spent many triumphant years at 'Bridge. There was very little pattern to the game as neither side were able to gain a foothold, Shane Hand missing a good opportunity in the 18th minute, firing over the bar, when well placed and Martin Hutchinson similarly missing the target from long range. 'Bridge were warming to the task and after McDaid rattled the bar in the 28th minute they went ahead a minute later from a Mark Burniston cross that evaded everyone to land in the net. Danny Webster ('Bridge) and Kyle Kerley (Harlow) were next to try their luck only to suffer from 'over the bar syndrome' and Webster then scuffed a much easier chance when Hendry could only parry a McDaid effort. Centre back Liam Healey showed his contemporaries how it is done five minutes after the break with a spectacular overhead kick to a Paul Eagling cross and the returning Ben Jones paraded his predatory instincts on 72 minute getting on the end of a Tom Smith cross to give his side a three goal advantage. The home side were thrown a metaphorical lifeline two minutes later when Tom Evans scored from the spot after Paul Diamond was adjudged to have pushed a Harlow player from a corner which was forgotten about six minutes from time, when, from a rare passing move of any quality, Eagling slipped in Marcus Philpott for the fourth to give the score an identical look to when the two sides last met in 2007/08.
Man of Match - Liam Healy
28/09/13 - Brighouse Old Boys 2-2 Boroughbridge AFC - League
Déjà vu déjà vu déjà vu might be all too familiar but once again 'Bridge's naivety at the end of the game cost them valuable points from their long trip to Brighouse. Also customary for Manager Ekin was the shuffling of his pack with Martin Hutchinson and Marcus Philpott covering for the absence of Captain and experienced midfielder James McDaid alongside the versatile Baz O'Neill, but it was 'Bridge who made the better start with Danny Webster missing a good chance after being set up by Mark Burniston. Rob Kenny responded for the home side without troubling Paul Diamond as Brighouse had slightly the better of the territorial advantage until Paul Eagling slipped in Ben Jones for the opener on 33 minutes. Creativity from both sides was at a premium as were clear cut chances and Kenny missed a great opportunity to level matters before the break heading over from close range and three minutes into the second half Diamond came to his side's rescue saving a one on one situation with Michael Pearson. Andy Layton headed over a corner for 'Bridge but very little was seen of their attack and it was Pearson who struck the equaliser for the home side on 64 minutes with a speculative cross shot from 30 yards out that nestled nicely in the back of the 'Bridge net. This brought an immediate response from the visitors with Eagling denied by Jason Hibbert, Burniston off target when Jones would have been a better option prior to the pair setting up Eagling on 70 minutes to give his side a fortuitous lead with an effort that hit both uprights before crossing the line. 'Bridge were forced to make changes late in the game losing Ben Jones and the injured Liam Healy and it was now backs to the wall time. Diamond proved his worth denying Kenny and Matthew Roy and in between times a point blank effort to thwart Tom Gorringe. After surviving the late onslaught 'Bridge looked to have secured the points until they lost possession in the last third, one punt up field, corner conceded , swung in by Roy and in the ensuing melee Dave Conway stabbed home the equaliser in 'Fergie time' for a share of the spoils.
Man of Match - Mark Burniston
01/10/13 - Harrogate CSC 2-3 Boroughbridge AFC - Charity Cup
Whitworth Cup winners and Sunday District FA winners met at Station View to compete in the annual Charity Cup Final and for 'Bridge this was really a late late show in literal and metaphorical terms. The pre match hype of all the 'super stars' on show never materialised and 'Bridge Manager Daz Ekin was hampered furthered by the withdrawals of James McDaid, Paul Eagling, Liam Healey and Jake Fletcher in the pre match warm up. It was 'Bridge, however who settled the quicker and in the opening twenty minutes Jordan Robson twice denied Ross Mardon the chance of opening his first team account and on the third occasion, set up by Martin Hutchinson, his control let him down. After absorbing the initial onslaught CSC came more into the game and Paul Diamond was quick out of his goal to deny the speedy Connor Holroyd before being beaten on 33 minutes with a powerful Ben King header to a George Medd corner. This is how to stayed to the break and in the first 20 minutes of the second half CSC certainly enjoyed the better of the game with Diamond the busier of the two 'keepers. On 71 minutes Ekin brought on Steven Paffett at full back freeing Mark Burniston from this role and Tom Smith giving 'Bridge more pace on the flanks and facilitating their ability to turn the CSC defence, which paid dividends four minutes later, equalising through an Andy Layton header to a Burniston corner. There were a few anxious moments at both ends without really troubling either 'keeper and with the dreaded penalty shoot out looming 'Bridge took the lead in the 89th minute from a Marcus Philpott free kick headed home by Layton. Job done or so it seemed until the 'Bridge injury time hoodoo struck again from a Phil Myles corner headed in at the far post by Jimmy Dawson but with Ekin marking down his penalty takers another Philpott free kick was not dealt with and in the confusion Ben Jones hooked in the winner.
Man of Match - Andy Layton
05/10/13 - Boroughbridge AFC 1-3 Hunslet Club - League
Coming off the back of their Charity Cup victory, albeit against Claro League opposition, and facing a side low in confidence after five successive defeats it should have been 'Bridge who were in the driving seat but after James McDaid had an effort cleared off the line in the first minute they were outplayed by their visitors both in footballing terms and aggression. It was the habitual story for Manager Daz Ekin of too many key players unavailable forcing him to utilise the versatility of Mark Burniston and Danny Webster to fill in at right and left full back respectively with a new partnership of McDaid and Marcus Philpott in midfield. The visitors showed their intent from the start with a couple of crunching tackles that put 'Bridge on the back foot and on 11 minutes they took the lead when Lee Walker, looking marginally offside, swung in a cross from the right to an unmarked Gareth Groves waiting at the back post to tap home. Little was seen of the home team as an attacking force and it no surprise when Jonathan Grayston, arguably Hunslet's key player, collected a ball on the right and drove into the bottom corner for the second. Early in the second half Ekin brought on Steven Paffett and Tom Robinson to replace the injured Burniston and Martin Hutchinson which temporarily improved things as James McDaid gave 'keeper Alex Houghton little chance with a superb volley on 65 minutes. During this brief period of ascendency the home side had a couple of decent penalty appeals turned down which would have only served to masquerade an inept performance highlighted when Grayston rounded Andy Layton to slot home the third and deservedly end his side's recent barren run. After their promising start to the season 'Bridge have only picked up two points out of the last twelve on offer and ten games in they are yet to keep a clean sheet.
Man of Match - James McDaid
12/10/13 - Boroughbridge AFC 4-0 Wetherby Athletic - League
The final score to the neutral observer would seem a little flattering as Wetherby out passed their hosts in the first half only to go into the break with a two nil deficit, but in the second half it was the home side that looked the more threatening and in the end their clinical finishing proved to be the difference. An early free kick to the visitors came to nothing and it was the home side that took the lead with Steven Paffett feeding James McDaid who went past a defender before picking out Mark Burniston to knock in the opener at the far post. For the next thirty minutes the visitors held the upper hand but with little to show for their endeavours as Ciaran Mallon fired high and wide, Phil Myles and Danny Coates similarly fired over and Josh Yanac was well wide with a shot from distance. As the pressure increased Joe Bardon was unlucky to see his goal bound effort deflected wide but with the interval approaching it was 'Bridge who got the fillip of a second goal. Burniston and Ben Mudd set up a chance for Paul Eagling saved by Darren Butterworth on 41 minutes and on the stroke of half time Jimmy Tucknott intercepted a short goal kick which he returned with great delight as it hit the back of the next via the inside of the post. This was a boost for 'Bridge and on 53 minutes they consolidated their position with a classic third started by Dan Clayton in his own half, taking the ball up field and switching play to Burniston who beat his man before crossing to find Ben Jones and his bullet like header gave Butterworth no chance. The home side certainly were more composed than the team that was so comprehensively beaten by Hunslet and with James McDaid and Danny Webster a redoubtable midfield pairing enhanced by the wing play of Burniston and Clayton it was 'Bridge who looked the more threatening making it four on 83 minutes as McDaid picked up a Clayton pass to adroitly chip the advancing Butterworth. Bardon was refused a consolation goal by a late flag, Clayton had a free kick tipped over and in the second minute of injury time and Paul Diamond preserved 'Bridge's first clean sheet of the season tipping another Bardon effort round the post. The result moved 'Bridge into the middle of the table and the cameo role of Clayton certainly gave the side a better balance, but this was a one off leaving a hole for the Manager to fill over the coming weeks if the progress is to continue.
Man of Match - Mark Burniston
19/10/13 - Boroughbridge AFC 3-0 Pateley Bridge - Whitworth Cup
In the battle of the 'Bridges the home side got the right result but the expected goal bonanza was not realised as Pateley put in a stoical performance and the home side, deprived of key players, were below par. As is customary for Manager Daz Ekin he was left to shuffle his pack with an additional connotation as 'keeper Paul Diamond was unavailable and promoting either Josh Donnelly or Jordi Halifax would have left both cup-tied if their respective sides made progress in the Hulme Cup. Mark Burniston was given the gloves leaving the ubiquitous Danny Webster to fill the right back spot, Marcus Philpott and Tom Smith to join Eagling & McDaid in midfield and a new front partnership of Ben Jones and Levi Crombie. 'Bridge's opening play lacked any verve handing the initiative to the visitors and in the first ten minutes Stuart Simpson drove just past the post and Stephen Ellis failed to capitalise on a misdirected clearance from Burniston which proved pivotal a minute later when Crombie picked up a McDaid pass and drove home from 20 yards. The rest of the half 'Bridge huffed and puffed with their attacks generally blunted by Kevin Slinger and Andy Winder at the heart of the Pateley defence until a Tom Smith free kick was only partially cleared and when Smith put the ball back in Jimmy Tucknott was at the far post to head in the second. The home team lost Eagling at the interval forcing Ekin (age a secret) to take his place and what the Manager has lost in pace he made up for with his ability to pass the ball and maintain possession. Little changed to the pattern of the game in the second half with the visitors resolute in defence and quick on the counter attack but lacking the numbers on these occasions to seriously trouble Burniston whereas 'Bridge enjoyed plenty of possession without the cutting edge to bother Chris Langley. The third goal arrived on 66 minutes from a cross from Ben Mudd only partially cleared leaving Crombie to swivel with his back to goal and volley home which could easily have opened the floodgates but Pateley remained unyielding and certainly not like a side without a point to their name.
Man of Match - Levi Crombie
26/10/13 - Kippax 0-4 Boroughbridge AFC - League
Late backwords gave Manager Ekin his usual Saturday morning headache leaving him to travel to Kippax for an important three pointer with a bare eleven utilising himself and Tony Coles (average age 50+) as back up. The Kippax playing surface was not up to the standard of last year and playing into a gale force winds was going to test the mettle of the returning Liam Healey and Andy Layton but both stood up to the ordeal and it was 'Bridge who had the better of the opening stages. Danny Webster headed straight at 'keeper Joe Bond, James McDaid was wide and Bond saved a Healey header from a Paul Eagling free kick but the best chance fell to Kippax's Richard Marchant who should have done better when left unmarked from a corner. Mark Burniston and Levi Crombie both had efforts blocked before they got the breakthrough on 38 minutes through Burniston who headed home a superb Jimmy Tucknott cross. 'Bridge were able to take this impetus into the second half and after the disappointment of seeing a Baz O'Neill goal disallowed the Manager was able to smile again on 53 minutes when a 35 yards wind assisted volley from Mark Burniston rocketed into the back of the home net. The best chance for the home side came from a free kick within a clever back heel from Andy Payne just off target but it was determined defending that saved the day minutes later as Eagling, twice, Tucknott and O'Neill all had efforts blocked in the same incident and Crombie failed to make the best of a one on one with Bond. The constant pressure brought an inevitable third 17 minutes from time from Danny Webster who was on hand to knock home after Bond could not hold a Crombie drive and minutes later McDaid rattled the post with a free kick. With the points drifting away the hosts lost their discipline with Baz O’Neill on the end of a head butt that went unpunished, Payne was booked and on 80 minutes sub Chris Rollinson was dismissed for a rash challenge on Crombie. In a rare Kippax attack Danny Marchant was wide but it was Crombie who had the last word latching on to an Eagling through ball to round Bond for number four.
Man of Match - Mark Burniston
02/11/13 - Boroughbridge AFC 6-2 Ventus/Yeadon Celtic - County Cup
'Bridge kicked-off their 13/14 County Challenge Cup campaign with the visit of West Riding County Amateur League opponents Ventus/Yeadon Celtic, knowing that they would have to be wise in navigating their way into a Third Round tie against either Bardsey or Ripon City. Daz Ekin's men made an excellent start to the encounter, however, with a fourth minute James McDaid free kick which Liam Healy couldn't do anything with at the far post putting the visitors under the cosh from the off. The excellent start turned into a perfect start just two minutes later as Paul Eagling fed the ball from the midfield through to Ben Jones on the inside left wing who crossed in to Danny Webster, with the defender unable to get his shot away before he was adjudged to have been fouled and referee Garreth Rhodes pointed to the spot. McDaid made no mistake in firing his penalty the opposite way to Nicholas Mansell in the Celtic goal, and things would get even better for 'Bridge in the 13th minute as Eagling fed in a ball from midfield, this time to Jimmy Tucknott who cut in from the left to hit home for two nil. Eagling turned provider once again just three minutes later as he advanced down the left wing before whipping in an excellent cross to McDaid who rifled the ball into the back of the net from the edge of the box with an equally excellent finish. With the lead now at three, 'Bridge were just settling into their cruising altitude, but made the home support wait a full twelve minutes for the fourth before Paul Eagling capitalised on a mix-up in the Celtic box to slot home Steve Paffett’s cross from close range, and just two minutes later Mark Burniston had a chance to make it five as he shot over the bar from Jones' delivery. The fifth was not far away though, and Burniston would figure in it when it came in the 40th minute, with the midfielder moving down the wing and squaring to Baz O'Neill, who advanced to fire home. Celtic did ensure they would have some say in the first half with an awkward looking 45th minute cross, but this was gathered easily by Paul Diamond in the 'Bridge nets and the hosts went in at the break firmly in command of the match.

If the first half had started with 'Bridge putting Celtic under the cosh early, the second half was the exact mirror image. The visitors emerged from the dressing rooms fired up, and were on the scoresheet within two minutes as defensive indifference from the home side allowed Curtis Braybrook to head home Nathaniel Dacres' cross. The Celtic attacks kept on coming as the half progressed, with a rare 54th minute home effort from Burniston just tipped wide, and a moment of pinball from the resulting corner giving 'Bridge something to help spur them on, before any momentum they might have gained from this came crashing down as Braybrook beat the offside trap to advance, spin around the diving Paul Diamond and back-heal into the net, with the ball just crossing the line before the arriving home defence. It almost got worse for 'Bridge on the hour mark as Kyle Shah was pulled back for offside when looking certain to score, before a calamitous moment in the 'Bridge defence on 64 minutes almost gifted the visitors their third. The hosts were looking a shadow of their first half selves and in serious danger of letting Celtic back into a match that had a one point looked entirely beyond them, but in football the momentum can suddenly shift with one moment of magic, and that is what the Aldborough Road crowd were treated to in the 65th minute when, against the run of play, Ben Jones unleashed a spectacular overhead volley that beat Mansell at his near post and rippled the top left corner. This goal finally gave 'Bridge the little slice of momentum they needed, and apart from an 83rd minute free kick punched clear by Diamond, the hosts saw the match out without further trouble. Their reward is a Derby Day trip to Mallorie Park Drive on 7th December to take on a Ripon City outfit who saw off league high-fliers Bardsey in 120 minutes.
Man of Match - Paul Eagling
16/11/13 - Ripon City 3-3 Boroughbridge AFC - League
On an uneven playing surface City were quickly out of the traps and their ability to move the ball quickly from back to front caused the visitors all sorts of problems with the consequence that they could have been out of sight in the opening thirty minutes. Twice they held a two goal cushion only to find 'Bridge would not roll over and a strong finish to each half enabled the visitors a share of the points. Ripon opened up strongly and in the third minute Matt McGlinchey rattled the post from a free kick with Paul Diamond beaten but it did not take long to assert their authority as the ball ricocheted into the net off Steven Paffett's knee for the opener. Only twelve minutes in, and things got worse three minutes later as Andy Layton and Diamond got into a tangle from an innocuous long ball out of defence to leave Tom Leeming with an easy tap in. The home support was euphoric as the pace and guile of Duncan Terry and Leeming continued to taunt the 'Bridge defence but they survived the onslaught to have a purple patch of their own in the last fifteen minutes of the half. Tom Robinson, Paffett and Paul Eagling combined for Ben Jones to volley in their opener seven minutes before the break, Eagling had an effort cleared off the line and Jones headed a great chance wide. Eight minutes into the second half James McDaid had a great chance to carry on the impetus only to see McGlinchey clear his lines with Phil Zealand beaten which looked pivotal ten minutes later when 'Bridge's defensive pairing failed to deal with another long ball and Terry nipped in between them to chip the advancing Diamond. There was still no let up as Ripon went for the jugular, crunching tackles, tempers flaring, bookings, a typical local derby and still there was a twist to the tale. On 84 minutes Ekin introduced 'Vets' player Mark Chisholm into the fray and a minute later the home side failed to deal with an Andy Layton free kick and this time Paffett hit the net at the right end to reduced the deficit. From nowhere, or even out of the blue', the visitors could sense a point with Eagling the galvanising force, and it was his involvement and an alleged trip on Danny Webster that resulted in a penalty at the direction of the referee's assistant. The angst of elements of the home team was plain to 'hear' as opinions of the decision resonated round the ground and after a delay of four minutes McDaid kept his composure to stroke the ball past Zealand and give the 'Bridge contingent something to smile about.
Man of Match - Liam Healy & Paul Eagling
23/11/13 - Boroughbridge AFC 1-0 Leeds City - League
After their late salvage job last weekend 'Bridge went one better on Saturday with an injury time winner against League leaders Leeds City who had outplayed them for large parts of the game with their fluent brand of football. With Tom Robinson, Ben Mudd and Martin Hutchinson (rib injury) unavailable 'Bridge were pleased to welcome back from long term injury Nick Cressey alongside Baz O'Neill and James McDaid in midfield leaving the versatile Danny Webster to fill the left back spot. The large playing area and ground conditions were ideal for City's incisive brand of free flowing football and with Mitch Cameron and Leroy McIntosh pulling the strings in midfield it was the visitors who started the brighter. Free scoring James Hochstrasser, Barrie Frankland and Alex Miler all had opportunities to add to their total only to find 'Bridge's Paul Diamond in sparkling form as he pulled out a series of top drawer saves, and when he was beaten they were thwarted on a couple of occasions by the crossbar. 'Bridge battled hard to stem the flow with the defence and midfield working overtime but with half time having passed and the game entering the last twenty minutes it was the visitors who were starting to show their frustration. The game continued to ebb and flow and 'Bridge, growing in confidence, were beginning to create a few openings of their own with McDaid and Paul Eagling throwing away good chances and failing to trouble 'keeper Declan Flowers. As Diamond continued his heroics a shared outcome looked inevitable but there was still a couple of twists in the tale in injury time as Steven Paffett's last ditch tackle denied a clear goal scoring opportunity for Miller before on 94 minutes McDaid threw in a free kick, flicked on by Eagling and at the back post the predatory Ben Jones was there to knock in the winner. The players and home support were ecstatic; Tony Coles, Manager for the day, went Brian Kiddesque with his slide across the pitch as 'Bridge recorded a rare victory over their visitors. The Leeds Management obviously disappointed but to tag the home team with parking the bus was an injustice to his own players who had demonstrated their qualities, created some excellent opportunities but on the day had been thwarted by some outstanding goalkeeping.
Man of Match - Paul Diamond
30/11/13 - Beeston St. Anthony's 5-2 Boroughbridge AFC - League
Following two defeats in their opening three games Beeston had gone on a thirteen game unbeaten run and scoring goals for fun so a tight opening was integral to 'Bridge's plan only it did not work out that way when they gave away a sloppy corner on seven minutes whipped in by Steve Crawford and headed home by an unmarked Carl Feehan despite having all eleven players in the box. For the next ten minutes it was all Beeston as corners and free kicks swamped the visitors goal but somehow they survived with the fast improving Liam Healey majestic at the heart of their defence. 'Bridge's best opportunity during the frenetic opening came on 17 minutes from a Paul Diamond goal kick flicked on by Ben Jones to Mark Burniston and his first time effort hit the inside of the post and was cleared with Steven Kerr well beaten. Three minutes and three corners later Diamond made a great save to deny Liam Robinson but when the ball was played back in a forward's challenge by Ben Jones on Ben Haigh resulted in a penalty cleanly dispatched by Lee Turnbull. It got worse on 27 minutes when Paul Eagling attacking down the left turned back on himself to send a suicidal back pass from the half way line which was gratefully accepted by Robinson, still walking back from the last attack, to make it three nil. The remainder of the half was more balanced with Turnbull having an effort saved by Diamond and Jones going close and at the break 'Bridge knew they had been in a battle with a mountain to climb in the second half if they were going to get anything out of the fixture. The early part of the second half Eagling and James McDaid both had efforts on target which failed to trouble Kerr and just when it looked like they were getting their game together Beeston came up with their best move of the game started by sub Liam Moore and three passes later he was on the end of the move to hit home the fourth. With the game gone Ekin brought on Jimmy Tucknott and Ben Mudd to replace Burniston and Layton with Mudd winning a header to start the move that ended in McDaid being brought down in the box and the skipper made no mistake from the resulting penalty. If the move of the game went to the home side the goal of the game went to Baz O'Neill who smashed home an Eagling cross from the edge of the box that left Kerr motionless. For the first time in the game Beeston looked a bit edgy but in the classy Crawford they always had an outlet and he eased any qualms with the fifth in the 89th minute. Steven Paffett had a late header for 'Bridge who never recovered from a bad start against a side that will be there or thereabouts when honours are handed out at the end of the season. In Ashley Westcarr and Ryan Thorpe they have two excellent centre backs supported by a hard speedy midfield and with front men who battle for everything it is easy to see why they are the League's leading scorers. Finally a few words for referee Martin Ashworth who, in a game of some strong challenges, kept control throughout stamping on the first sign of foul and abusive and 'surprise surprise' he did not have to take out his notebook again.
Man of Match - Liam Healy
07/12/13 - Ripon City 1-0 Boroughbridge AFC - County Cup
After a lengthy build-up and much anticipation, 'Bridge's Derby Day trip to Ripon City failed to live up to its expected excitement as a late moment of magic sealed a one nil victory for City in a poor match. The pre-match line-ups suggested that this would be a classic encounter, with Daz Ekin opting for an attacking formation and City placing ex-'Bridge 'keeper Alastair Hogg in their nets. As the first half began, however, it became clear this was not to be the case with both sides struggling to settle into their rhythm. The first moment of significance came in the 19th minute when 'Bridge 'keeper Paul Diamond was called upon to make a diving fingertip save to deny City from a free kick, but apart from this moment there was little to trouble either 'keeper in the first half, albeit with City enjoying the better share of the momentum than 'Bridge. The second half, on the other hand, was a slightly more lively affair, with 'Bridge having two gilt edged chances to open up a lead within the first ten minutes of the half as first Matt McGlinchly cleared off the City lines a Ben Jones effort from a Paul Eagling corner, before McGlinchly was again called into action to clear behind with Jones having crossed past Hogg with his target an unmarked Jimmy Tucknott at the far post. The game took a potential twist in the 57th minute as City were reduced to ten men for violent conduct. 'Bridge would squander more chances as the half progressed, but as time ran down and with Ekin's men looking to snatch a winner, it was City who instead found the goal to break the deadlock as their hero of earlier McGlinchly whipped in a free kick in the 88th minute which curled around the 'Bridge wall and past the diving Diamond at the near post. Cue wild celebrations from the City players, and despair for 'Bridge who were increasingly frustrated at their failure to find their breakthrough. The hosts saw out the final moments of the game without trouble to advance into the Fourth Round.
Man of Match - Baz O'Neill
21/12/13 - Barwick 0-2 Boroughbridge AFC - League Cup
Despite being hit by several late withdrawals from their squad, 'Bridge got off to a good start in their second round West Yorkshire League Cup tie at Barwick, with Liam Healy hitting the post as early as the eleventh minute, and things got better just seven minutes later as Baz O'Neill passed to Tom Smith who chipped the home 'keeper to open the scoring. The hosts had their best chance of the game early in the second half, firing wide from a one-on-one position, but it was 'Bridge who had the next breakthrough, with Smith and O'Neill both rattling the woodwork before the former was on hand to pounce on a parried Ross Mardon shot and hit home his second. O'Neill would have a one-on-one effort saved and Mardon would hit the post for 'Bridge before the final whistle, but two nil would remain the final scoreline sending Daz Ekin's men into the Third Round with a clash at Otley Town in the new year.
Man of Match - Mike Mullenger
Official Boroughbridge AFC Club Partners 2015/16
Boroughbridge AFC
John Ellis Builders
Boroughbridge AFC
The Three Horse Shoes
Boroughbridge AFC
Reed Boardall
BOroughbridge AFC
The Black Bull Inn
The Club would like to thank all our partners and sponsors for the 15/16 season. For information on how to sponsor the Club, please see the Sponsors section.