Boroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFC Boroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFCBoroughbridge AFC
Boroughbridge AFC Reserves Match Reports 13/14
August to December
31/08/13 - Boroughbridge AFC Reserves 4-1 Ilkley Town Reserves - League
'Bridge began their season in the Alliance Division Two on familiar turf as they opened their campaign at Aldborough Road, and despite not playing to their full potential they recorded a first victory of the season. Elliott Sheeran's side made a bright start when Paul Scaife saw his second minute shot blocked, with Ross Mardon's attempt from the rebound gathered by Alex Wormall in the Town nets. Steve Warburton then headed wide from Scaife's fourth minute cross, before the visitors had their first attempt of the game on six minutes when the ball was cut in from the wing only to be put out for a corner. This was followed by another good attempt from a ninth minute throw-in and in the 14th minute Adam Fowler made a darting run down the right-hand touch line before cutting in and eventually seeing the ball put out for a corner. It was still 'Bridge very much commanding the tempo of the match, however, keeping the game moving and playing a nice brand of progressive football, but unable to string together enough passes to advance much further than the edge of their opponents' box.

A 27th minute free kick for Thomas Weaver's foul on Phil Wix initially seemed to have been wasted only for Paul Scaife to win the ball back, with Ross Mardon's ensuring shot returning to Scaife whose shot was cleared amid shouts for handball from the home side. Nevertheless, it was Town having the lion's share of the chances and just a minute later Weaver's header forced Josh Donnelly into a reaction save with the 'Bridge 'keeper eventually gathering the ball under pressure from Lewis Williamson. Three minutes later and Warburton was dispossessed by Josh Honne, but the 'Bridge defence was on hand to clear his pass to Williamson, and this was very quickly followed by an indirect free kick for 'Bridge which Paul Scaife fired over the bar after Craig Peacock provided a brief touch of the ball. This seemed to act as a catalyst for the home side who finally began to string series of passes together, with Wayne Fisher's 43rd minute free kick going just over the bar, Scaife firing over from the right a minute later after being put in by Mardon, and Wix shooting wide in the 45th minute after a Scaife run down the middle. This brief flurry of three attempts in as many minutes set 'Bridge up for the beginning of the second half with them now possessing that little bit more confidence to get the ball to the final third of the pitch.

Sheeran's team talk must have encouraged his side to build on their late first half momentum, as within a minute of the restart they were in front when Wix poked Scaife's pass from the right of the box past Wormall for one nil. The lead was very quickly two as Wix and Scaife once again linked up with the former heading home the latter's free kick from the left wing. Ross Mardon had a chance to make the lead three four minutes into the half when his shot curled agonisingly wide after he broke down the right-hand side of the pitch, but just a minute later this was all forgotten as the provider turned scorer when Scaife advanced down the left wing, skipped past a couple of defenders, and fired home. These quick goals set 'Bridge up to defend out the match, but they suffered a set-back in the second of their 40 defensive minutes when Town played the ball across from the right-hand wing and with Donnelly off his lines covering a striker at the near post, Adam Fowler was left with a simple tap-in at the far post.

The home side didn't let this phase them though, and four minutes later Wix advanced, forcing Edward Bryan to knock the ball behind for a corner. As the hour mark approached Mardon had another chance to get on the scoresheet when a 'Bridge free kick was played short and Warburton delivered into the box, only for Wormall to pull out a brilliant save at point blank range to deny the home side their fourth. On 64 minutes Mardon was again close, this time firing Wix's throw into the side netting, but just a minute later he finally got his breakthrough in style when Warburton crossed in from the left wing and Mardon turned his defender to hit into the top of the net over Wormall's outstretched hand, via the crossbar. This gave 'Bridge a little extra breathing space, and within ten minutes of Mardon's goal James Atkinson, Bryan and Honne all had chances to reduce their side's deficit.

As the ten minute to go marker passed, Scaife saw his shot from the left go high and wide, and in the 85th minute Jake Fletcher failed to properly make contact with a ball played out to him from an indirect free kick in the box caused by a back-pass to Wormall. In the 88th minute the hard working Warburton fired wide across the face of the goal after being put in by Scaife, and in the first minute of added time 'Bridge thought they had a fifth after Wormall could only get a finger to Fletcher's attempt after the ball was played in from the corner. The Town 'keeper tipped the ball onto the underside of the bar before it bounced on the goal line and was cleared away to safety. Given 'Bridge's control in the match it was fitting that Scaife would have the last word in the fourth added minute when his free kick went high and wide after he was fouled on the left wing. As the final whistle rang out 'Bridge could be satisfied with their three points, but despite the result Manager Sheeran was left unhappy by the performance of his side who could easily have doubled their goal tally had they been sharper with their first half passing game.
Man of Match - Steve Warburton
07/09/13 - Boroughbridge AFC Reserves 9-0 Sherburn White Rose Reserves - League
After frustrating their Manager despite getting the job done in their opening match of the 13/14 season, 'Bridge Reserves ensured Elliott Sheeran would have nothing to complain about after their second match with an assured performance in front of goal, but stopping just short of giving their gaffer a hefty bar bill. Phil Wix launched the home side into the game in the third minute when he latched on to Craig Peacock's pass from midfield, catching the visitors napping to beat the offside trap, advance and fire home. This was just the start 'Bridge needed and a sixth minute corner pulled Sherburn 'keeper Mich Balmforth off his lines, with the ball falling to Ross Mardon who couldn't find enough space to get his shot away. The lead was two on fifteen minutes as the ball emerged from the box to Mardon who, after a deflected effort which returned to sender, played a quick one-two with Liam Bannard before firing home from the edge of the box. With two of 'Bridge's strikers already on the scoresheet and a third having provided an assist, the fourth of the target men got in on the action in the 16th minute when Paul Scaife buzzed a shot in from the left which was only parried by a nervy looking Balmforth, and Mardon's provider turned scorer in the 20th minute as the ball was played out to Bannard on the left wing. In an unmarked position, he cut in and chipped over the advancing Balmforth before rounding the 'keeper himself to ensure the ball hit the back of the net. This was a dream start for 'Bridge, and the home side were in total control of proceedings. Balmforth was beginning to find his feet, however, and did well to deny Wix in the 21st minute when one-on-one, before getting enough on Wayne Fisher's long-range effort to give himself time to recover and gather the ball. For his two good saves Balmforth couldn’t do much about 'Bridge's fourth though, as Wix advanced into the box before chipping over his defender to the waiting Mardon, who made no mistake in rifling home, via the crossbar, over the 'keeper's outstretched glove.

Sherburn had their first real chance as the half hour mark approached when a mix-up in the 'Bridge box led to Tom Sowerby not claiming as he otherwise might have, but the foul was given, and five minutes later normality was restored when Scaife delivered a brilliant ball to Steve Warburton on the right-hand side. Warburton fired low and hard only to be denied by Balmforth, and this was quickly followed by a Mardon effort tipped wide of the left-hand post and a Wayne Fisher corner directed into the side netting by Warburton at the near post. The home side were well in their stride at this point, and in the 44th minute Tom Hussell found himself in possession in the box. Instead of going for glory himself, however, Hussell showed maturity to swivel his back to goal and put in the advancing Wix who made no mistake in completing a lovely piece of team football to add the fifth. 'Bridge's weakness in their first half against Ilkley had been their passing, but this was not the case in this match with Sheeran's side looking incisive on the attack and playing an attractive passing game heading into half time.

'Bridge came out in the second half looking to pick straight back up where they left off in the first half, and they did just that in padding their lead by a further two goals in the opening five minutes of the half. First, in the 47th minute, Wix pulled the ball back to Scaife who fired home via the 'keeper, and this was followed in the 49th minute by Mardon's rebounded effort finding Scaife in space to hit home his brace. At seven nil the game was already up for the visitors, but they kept chipping away, and on the hour mark almost had a consolation as Shane Limbert broke and was given a shot at Sowerby. The 'Bridge 'keeper dealt with the effort without difficulty though and as play moved back up field this proved to be only a brief interlude to the 'Bridge show. As the hour mark came and went, Wix saw his 61st minute effort saved, with Wayne Fisher unable to make anything of the rebound, and Mardon then miscued his 62nd minute opportunity. Warburton had a 64th minute chance to get on the scoresheet when he was delivered a good ball from Carl Allen on the wing, but fired over with his fist touch, and this was quickly followed by Mardon firing over from a Wix cross.

With the game already won, Sheeran began to switch-up his offensive line at this point, and the introduction of Jake Fletcher brought a fresh pair of legs hungry for a taste of the goal-scoring action, only to see a 69th minute long-range effort sail wide. This shot marked the 20th minute since 'Bridge had last scored, however, and so Sheeran's men were glad to get back on the scoresheet in the 78th minute, 29 since their last goal, when Warburton let loose a thunderbolt from the right wing which was destined for nowhere but the back of the net.

After working hard to get himself on the scoresheet in the short time he had been on the pitch, it was only fitting that Fletcher delivered the coup de grace by adding 'Bridge ninth eight minutes from time after being put in down the middle of the pitch, rounding the 'keeper, advancing to the goal line and tapping home. 'Bridge had their chances to add a tenth, with Fletcher's shot from an acute angle going over with five minutes to go before Scaife fired just over the bar in the 90th minute, and they might have had their double figures had they kept an even tempo in the closing stages. As the final whistle rang out, however, Sheeran could reflect on a dominant performance which sees his side bolster their goal difference atop the Alliance Division Two. 'Bridge face their next big test next weekend when they make their first away trip of the season to Aberford Albion Reserves, and will be looking to continue their 100% start to the season.
Man of Match - Craig Peacock
14/09/13 - Aberford Albion Reserves 2-2 Boroughbridge AFC Reserves - League
'Bridge Reserves were on their travels for the first time this season with a daunting trip to Bunkers Hill and missing key players, including Craig Peacock, Brian McIlear, Ryan Haswell and Phil Wix, the latter two receiving deserved promotion to the first team due to recent good performances. Sheeran was forced to try out a new central defensive pairing of Jack Herron and Sam Everard with Jake Fletcher filling the forward role vacated by Wix. 'Bridge weren’t able to replicate the free flowing football of the previous week but still had the better of the opening exchanges with Ross Mardon twice and a Paul Scaife effort giving the home 'keeper some early practice. It was the home side, however, who took a shock lead on 15 minutes as they gained possession in midfield, playing the ball through to Ian Hutchinson who sat Herron on his backside and cut back to his favoured right foot to curl the ball past a helpless Tom Sowerby. This certainly had the visitors rattled and two minutes later Mardon was cautioned for his petulance after a clear 'Bridge corner was given as a goal kick. In the 21st minute all was forgiven as a trademark passing move from back to front cut through the home guard allowing Steve Warburton to glide through and slot home the equaliser and make it two in two for the dynamic midfielder. The goal failed to ignite the visitors as 'Bridge struggled to move the ball consistently and at pace but when they did show flashes of their passing football they often found themselves in good scoring positions, manifested in their second goal on 32 minutes. A swift 'Bridge counter attack was halted by a foul on Mardon 25 yards from goal, with Scaife bending the resulting free kick over the wall to nestle in the bottom corner and giving his Manager a 'that's how it is done' look. Minutes later another incisive passing move released Mardon only for the midfielder to be denied by another fine save from the home 'keeper which was seen by everyone but the referee who gave a goal kick. The half ended with 'Bridge narrowly in front and for the watching spectators some rest bite from an execrable 45 minutes of football which was alleviated at the start of the second half as Chris Wade looked to play the ball long from the kick off but only succeeded in hitting the back of Ian Hutchinson's head to the amusement of many.

It was the home side that responded the better at the start of the second half as a long range effort was not collected cleanly by the 'keeper, inviting the onrushing Marcus Todd an opportunity to level matters only to be denied by the combined efforts of Sowerby and Herron. Todd was a threat minutes later as Sowerby parried away another long range effort and with the forward looking odd on favourite to square matters the 'Bridge keeper made a fantastic point blank save, but he was beaten on 69 minutes by James Hadland who took advantage of a mistake by stand-in skipper and disconsolate Sam Everard to fire in the equaliser. 'Bridge responded positively and within the space of a minute Jake Fletcher missed two superb opportunities, but with time ebbing away Scaife's frustration at a decision would result in his caution and in the end it was another refereeing decision that would have a major effect on the distribution of the points. There were only seconds remaining when Carl Allen played in Mardon who dribbled round his marker on the by line before setting up Scaife to finish the job off from six yards. Unfortunately the referee, from his position in the middle of the Aberford half, to the amazement of the visitors and the amusement of the home defence, deemed the ball had gone out of play. It was disappointing for 'Bridge who went into the game with high expectations yet credit to an Aberford side that stifled their opportunities and probably deserved something out of the game.
Man of Match - Jack Herron
21/09/13 - Kirk D'ton R'ers Reserves 0-6 Boroughbridge AFC Reserves - Hulme Cup
'Bridge Reserves were also on the road opening their Hulme Cup account with a trip to face Harrogate & District League One side and last year's beaten finalists who had also toppled them two nil at this stage of the competition two years ago. Elliott Sheeran welcomed Phil Wix and Ryan Haswell back into the squad after their fleeting spell with the 1st team squad, Craig Peacock returned from his brief sojourn in the sun and Josh Donnelly was promoted to Reserve team duty following Tom Sowerby's decision to seek regular first team football elsewhere. Wix went straight back into the front line pushing Ross Mardon, who would skipper the side for the first time, back into midfield and Haswell was also recalled to the line up, partnering last week's Man of Match Jack Herron at the heart of the defence. Kicking down the slope 'Bridge soon got into their stride with an early chance that powerful striker Jake Fletcher could only drag wide which was an early indicator of their domination and on seven minutes Wayne Fisher picked out a pass to Mardon who played a quick give and go with Paul Scaife before unleashing a left foot drive into the bottom corner giving keeper Barry Galton no chance. They maintained the narrow advantage until the break but only after missing a myriad of chances with only Fletcher going close when forcing Galton into a sharp save from ten yards out and then rattling the bar with the 'keeper well beaten. Josh Donnelly, in contrast, was a virtual spectator leaving Sheeran's team talk to focus on 'Bridge's profligacy in front of goal which must have provoked some response as within ten minutes of the restart they had, effectively, put the game to bed. On 52 minutes some composed build up play allowed Scaife to slide the ball across to Mardon for his second and three minutes later Wix slipped the ball through to Fletcher to tuck home the third. Looking comfortable and in control Sheeran took the opportunity to ring the changes, Haswell departing for Bottomley and Peacock replacing Scaife which proved seamless as 'Bridge continued to lay siege on the Deighton goal resulting in the fourth on 65 minutes when Mardon headed home a Wix cross. Sam Everard then replaced Warburton but the 'Bridge defence remained firm leaving Deighton to sporadic attacks and Donnelly with little to do other than observe Wix, Fletcher and Liam Bannard miss good chances at the other end. 'Bridge weren’t quite done on the scoring charts and as the home side wearily went about the last few minutes Fletcher curled a through ball from Bannard into the bottom corner and was able to replicate his Captain's exploits with a tap in for his hat trick following a marauding run and cross from Herron in the last minute.
Man of Match - Ross Mardon
28/09/13 - Boroughbridge AFC Reserves 6-0 Pool AFC Reserves - League
Selection for Elliott Sheeran was no problem for this Alliance Division Two fixture with Ryan Haswell, Liam Bannard, Steve Warburton and Carl Allen all withdrawals from the original squad together with the late promotion of Ross Mardon to the first team leaving him with a bare eleven to accommodate and himself a place on the bench. The sides came into the fixture with contrasting starts to their respective season, 'Bridge undefeated in both League & Cup whereas Pool were still looking for their first point, yet it was the visitors who looked the more threatening in the opening ten minutes with James Garrett firing wide and Josh Wagstaff bringing a fine save from Josh Donnelly. 'Bridge responded with a surging run and shot from James Bottomley pouched by Jack Renley, Paul Scaife scuffed his shot wide when set up by Wix, the latter was then off target when Scaife reciprocated followed by Sean Corbett, on debut, blazing a good chance over the bar. The stalemate, together with the pattern of the game changed within a space of six minutes as 'Bridge turned their possession into a trio of goals. Wix opened the scoring on 25 minutes following an interchange between Scaife and Luke Fletcher, a Scaife corner was then flicked on by Wix, parried by the 'keeper for Paffett to head in at the far post and the goal rush was completed when Wayne Fisher recycled the ball on the half way line from a free kick and Craig Peacock's cross evaded everyone to inadvertently find its way into the net. The home side were now dominating the game and Jack Herron headed against the post, Paffett hit the side netting and Corbett forced a good save from Renley to end the half. On 58 minutes 'Bridge consolidated their position as Scaife beat the flimsy Pool offside trap to give Wix his second and on 71 minutes Scaife got his first with an exquisite effort curling a left foot shot past a despairing Renley. The game was now a very open affair as Corbett managed to fire over from six yards out, Renley denied a meandering Paffett and the visitors had three good chances to open their account before Scaife got his second a minute from time rounding the keeper after being put clear by Man of Match Wix. This Saturday 'Bridge are on the road again with an arduous trip to Halifax League Division Two side King Cross Warley Reserves in the WRCFA Challenge Trophy.
Man of Match - Phil Wix
05/10/13 - King Cross Warley Reserves 0-1 B'bridge AFC Reserves - County Trophy
'Bridge Reserves started their County Trophy journey with an onerous trip to Halifax based side King Warley Cross Reserves. Manager Elliott Sheeran had managed to glean some information on the opposition and was anticipating a tough tie and after their hour plus trip it was evident that his players, spoilt by the facilities and green green grass of home, were not comfortable with the task ahead. Tom Hussell, Ryan Haswell, Steve Warburton and Liam Bannard were all recalled to the starting line-up and Sheeran was keen to emphasis the job in hand in order to progress. The opening exchanges were quite cagey as 'Bridge looked to come to terms with the playing surface and Warley's direct play but slowly began to find some joy down the right flank through the link play of Warburton & Hussell. It was this combination that instigated the opening goal driving into the opposition half from a defensive situation, picking out Luke Fletcher who in turn found Phil Wix and he continued his goal scoring touch caressing the ball into the bottom corner with his right foot. In previous matches this has been the catalyst for 'Bridge to strengthen their position with further quick goals and this looked on the cards as Warburton and Hussell again combined to set up Paul Scaife. Unluckily for the front man, an awkward bounce and a scuffed shot took the ball wide but the situation was retrieved by Wix who delivered a sumptuous cross to the far post only for Hussell to miss the target with his diving header. This was as good as it got for 'Bridge for the rest of the half as their frustration at the pitch was manifested in their play handing the initiative to the home side who should have gone into the break on level terms. A glorious switch of play by Drake caught Wayne Fisher ball watching and Warley's Bottomley controlled the ball superbly only to then fire wide when a goal looked certain. A strong half time message from the 'Bridge management to stick to their game plan did not materialise as both sides traded possession without seriously troubling either 'keeper. Looking for the crucial second goal Sean Corbett replaced Bannard, however, with the home side growing in confidence the introduction of Sam Everard showed a note of caution from the visitors. A rare 'Bridge attack looked to have set Wix free as he skilfully beat his defender before firing wildly over leaving the home side to have the last word but Drake, when clear on goal, fired straight at Josh Donnelly to give 'Bridge a home tie against Selby & District League side Hensall and Kellington in the next round.
Man of Match - Ryan Haswell
12/10/13 - Whitkirk Wanderers Reserves 2-2 Boroughbridge AFC Reserves - League
It may still be early on in the season, however 'Bridge's trip to Whitkirk Wanderers Reserves was already being billed as a potential title decider, with both teams enjoying great starts to their league campaigns. Whitkirk were relegated along with 'Bridge last season, but the hosts had enjoyed a four two victory at Aldborough Road and a two one victory in this fixture last season. 'Bridge manager Elliott Sheeran welcomed Tom Smith, Steve Coles and Ross Mardon into the squad after being passed down from the first team, however an injury blow to Jack Herron meant the 'Bridge centre half had to pull out from the game during the warm-up. A slight re-shuffle in Sheeran's defence didn't help their match preparations and as early as the third minute, Whitkirk's Dean Brooke brought the ball down on his chest before turning sharply and firing past Donnelly in the 'Bridge goal. The early goal sent the home support into rapturous applause and left the visiting management team thinking it was going to be a long afternoon. 'Bridge bounced back well and slowly began to find their rhythm, but had to wait until the 13th minute to first work the home 'keeper as some good link up play between 'Bridge's front two allowed Phil Wix to release Tom Smith, with the latter forcing the 'keeper into a decent save. Pressure on the home team's goal was increasing and it was a Ross Mardon corner which Steve Coles attacked at the near post, diverting the ball goalwards and once again the home 'keeper produce a reflex save in the 19th minute. With 'Bridge now firmly on top it was only a matter of time before they were level, and in the 20th minute Sam Everard cut open the home defence with a superbly weighted pass, which was collected by Mardon and fired across goal for Wix to tuck home at the far post. Smith was then denied once again by the home 'keeper with a save at his near post, before Wix, from an acute angle fired a shot across the goal that hit the angle on the goal and then agonisingly rolled along the goal and before being cleared to safety. Mardon also fired a long range shot from 25 yards which stung the hands of the home 'keeper with Wix unfortunately unable to collect the rebound. In the 34th minute and against the run of play, the home side regained the lead as 'Bridge failed to clear the ball and Whitkirk's Thomas Parr shot on goal, which looked to be heading safely into Donnelly's hands, only to catch a deflection off Everard and wrong foot the 'Bridge keeper. Despite another setback, the visitors continued to dictate the game and in the 42nd minute a Steve Coles corner appeared to strike the hand of a Whitkirk defender and the referee pointed to the spot. As Wix placed the ball on the spot, manager Sheeran waved him away and instructed Wayne Fisher to take the penalty, but he wasn't able to find the corner and the home 'keeper continued his fine game with a good low save. The home support celebrated wildly as they witnessed the penalty save and they were the happier of the teams as their side went in at half time leading two one. The second half got underway and after just 11 minutes of the half 'Bridge made their first substitution with Paul Scaife replacing Tom Smith. It didn't take long for Scaife to get involved, when a kick from Donnelly evaded most of the home defence and he managed to control the ball and fire towards goal, only to see the shot blocked by a Whitkirk defender, appearing to be by way of his arm. Despite the appeals from 'Bridge players, the referee waved away their claims. 'Bridge were dominating the possession but were beginning to struggle to create clear scoring opportunities, leading to Luke Fletcher replacing Steve Warburton in the 67th minute. A quick re-shuffle in the 'Bridge midfield suddenly brought a new lease of life with the introduction of the rangey, floppy haired midfielder and as the game entered into the final 20 minutes, it was clear that 'Bridge were the more threatening and the home side were beginning to tire. A cross in the 71st minute was met by Fletcher and as he directed his header towards goal, the home 'keeper producing another great save to tip the ball on to the bar and out for a corner. The resulting corner found the head of Ryan Haswell with the centre half's header narrowly missing the target. With time running out and another chance for Haswell failing to really trouble the home 'keeper, it looked destined that 'Bridge would leave empty handed before, in the 88th minute, Coles delivered a tantalising cross into the box which was tucked home at the far post by Fletcher to bring the teams level. 'Bridge weren’t content with just the point and as they pushed for the winner, a Scaife cross into the home penalty box found Fletcher, however this time he mistimed his header and the ball dropped agonisingly wide from 4 yards out. The referee called a halt on proceedings shortly after and 'Bridge were left to consider what might have been after Fletcher's late chance to win it.
Man of Match - Steve Coles
19/10/13 - Hampsthwaite United Res 2-3 Boroughbridge AFC Res - Hulme Cup
After disposing of Kirk Deighton Reserves in the last round 'Bridge's trip to the Stray, on paper, looked an easier option as their opponents plied their trade in the league below, but on occasions things aren't always what they seem. Sheeran recalled James Bottomley and Paul Scaife to the starting line-up with Tom Hussell dropping to the bench alongside the returning Jake Fletcher. On a decent playing surface 'Bridge were out of the blocks quickly and took the lead on three minutes as a defence splitting pass from Sam Everard allowed Ross Mardon to tuck the ball past the advancing Roger Griggs, doubling their lead three minutes later from a Mardon cross turned into his own net by Alex Clark. The home side responded in the best possible way bringing 'Bridge back down to earth within a minute through Josh Burley who headed home a Nathan Garnham corner. Any complacency there might have been was now eroded and even though Phil Wix missed a gilt edged chance from three yards and Steve Warburton fired over with the goal at his mercy it was the home side that dominated possession with Dan O'Conner looking very composed and pulling the strings in the middle of the park. An injury to James Bottomley towards the end of the half brought Tom Hussell into the fray and the interval arrived with 'Bridge not at their free flowing best attributable to an impressive home side that were proving tougher opposition than expected. 'Bridge were fired up to produce a much better second half performance and after shooting over from a good position Mardon sent Phil Wix clear and the in form striker slid the ball under Griggs to ease the pressure. Once again the home side responded going close on a couple of occasion without seriously troubling Josh Donnelly but the 'keeper had to be thankful to Wayne Fisher for clearing off the line after another home corner caused chaos. Their pressure was rewarded in the 85th when a Ryan Haswell challenge in the area was adjudged a foul leaving Andy Spencer to confidently dispatch the penalty and set up a nervy last five minutes. Another appeal a couple of minutes later was turned down and 'Bridge were able to see the game out and leave Hampsthwaite, who had chosen to play their first team in the Hulme Competition, hoisted by their own petard.
Man of Match - Ross Mardon
26/10/13 - Boroughbridge AFC Reserves 7-3 Otley Town Reserves - League
Discipline has been pivotal in 'Bridge's turnaround this season but on Saturday self control and defensive savoir faire were components missing from their game with hat-tricks from Ross Mardon and Phil Wix rescuing their lack of composure. An assured opening saw Jake Fletcher bring a good save out of the visitors' giant 'keeper Chris McNamara but their confidence was decimated on six minutes as Connor Wilson took advantage of poor control from Ryan Haswell to slot past Josh Donnelly. 'Bridge's passing temporarily went awry until they regained parity on 11 minutes through Ross Mardon who picked up a pass from Luke Fletcher to smash the ball into the top corner with the outside of his right foot. The fluidity returned and for the next few minutes McNamara denied Wix and Fletcher only to be beaten again by Mardon on 19 minutes taking in his stride a pass from Jake Fletcher, sidestepping two tackles to rifle home his second. With Martin Hutchinson and Craig Peacock orchestrating the midfield it was not long before they added a third as Phil Wix seized on a poor McNamara clearance to open his account. The visitors were quick to reduce the arrears as Donnelly and Haswell got in a tangle from an innocuous Richard Sharp cross leaving the unfortunate Haswell to slide the ball into his own net and a booking for dissent on 35 minutes compounded the player's first half misery. Beneficially for 'Bridge, Mardon hadn't finished his exploits and two minutes before the break he latched on to an incisive Hutchinson through ball to lift the ball over the advancing McNamara. The momentum did not last long as 'Bridge had a torrid few minutes in the early part of the second half; Haswell rattled his own bar from a free kick, Sub Toby Harris, who had been a source of irritation to the home side since his arrival mid way through the first half, proved too strong for Sam Everard as he reduced the deficit, Luke Fletcher went into the referee's notebook a minute later for a lunging tackle swiftly followed by the dismissal of Tom Hussell for head butting Harris after a minor skirmish. Sheeran acted quickly to shore up his defence by bringing on Jack Herron to replace Jake Fletcher (57') and within four minutes the anxiety was alleviated when Wix headed home his second and he then turned provider only to see Mardon fluff his lines from his easiest chance of the afternoon. In an incident packed game Everard was next to go in the book for retaliation following a nasty challenge from Harris and on 67 minutes Wix collected his hat-trick when McNamara palmed a harmless looking effort into his own net. Assured of the points and a three goal cushion Sheeran brought himself on for the last ten minutes but it was Luke Fletcher who completed the scoring getting on the end of a powerful Herron header to lob the keeper for a seven three victory made more remarkable by a three nil margin when reduced to ten men.
Man of Match - Ross Mardon
02/11/13 - Boroughbridge AFC Res 4-3 Hensall & Kellington A'tic - County Trophy
After their trip to Warley in the last round of the Challenge Trophy it was 'Bridge's turn to entertain with the first visit of Selby & District League side Hensall & Kellington to their Aldborough Road ground. There was a touch of the unknown for both sides except that each had similar victories over Pool Reserves in different competitions during the course of this season so Elliott Sheeran was aware of the potential problems and with Tom Hussell starting a three match ban from the 9th November and Martin Hutchinson, injured Jack Herron along with Stephen Coles were returned to the starting line up. A heavy downpour ten minutes before kick-off made the surface ideal and the home side should have taken the lead on seven minutes, but in form striker Phil Wix failed to capitalise on a by-line cross from Jake Fletcher, and five minutes later Matthew Wright gave the visitors the lead direct from their first corner. The lead did not last long as Ross Mardon threaded a ball through to Luke Fletcher to side foot past a despairing Darren Toes, only to go behind for a second time on 25 minutes when a goal kick from Toes was misjudged by Wayne Fisher allowing Simon Wooton to lift the ball over a hesitant Josh Donnelly. Matters did not seem to be going the way of the home side as Phil Wix hit the post when through on goal which was followed by a drive from Jake Fletcher rattling the underside of the bar exacerbated on 33 minutes as Donnelly could only parry an innocuous Wright free kick into his own net. Facing a two goal deficit for the first time this season 'Bridge responded positively and three minutes before the break Ross Mardon picked up a pass from Coles to reduce the arrears. The half time team talk resonated round the ground as Sheeran expressed his disquiet at the first half performance and on 59 minutes they regained parity as Sam Everard, Jake Fletcher and Coles combined with a cross from the latter headed home by Luke Fletcher. 'Bridge got their noses in front for the first time in the 74th minute from a Wayne Fisher free kick which 'keeper Toes seem to lose in the sun and under pressure from Herron he pushed the ball against the bar leaving Mardon to volley home. As Hensall pushed for the equaliser Steve Warburton, Paul Scaife and Mardon all had chances to increase the lead but it was the visitors that had the last opportunity as a corner to the far post was headed back in by Wooton to Chris Crawshaw who could only direct his header into the arms of Donnelly. 'Bridge will face another tough encounter in the next round when they come up against County Amateur side Campion Reserves and if they are continue their positive start to the season they will have to eradicate the errors that are creeping into their game.
Man of Match - Stephen Coles
09/11/13 - B'bridge AFC Reserves 1-3 Baildon Trinity Athletic Reserves - League
Baildon Trinity proved to be a real coupon buster as they belied their penultimate place in the West Yorkshire League with a thoroughly deserved victory over previously undefeated 'Bridge Reserves. With regular 'keeper Josh Donnelly away, Manager Elliott Sheeran had the luxury of bringing first team stopper Paul Diamond into his squad and giving some game time to Marcus Philpott, but the visitors well organised defence and their strategy of playing a midfield five assisted by the indefatigable Jonathan Reynolds strangled 'Bridge's passing game. The home side opened with Ross Mardon ending a mazy run by striking the post, visiting 'keeper Andy Jessop saving a Phil Wix effort and Luke Fletcher firing over with Baildon stretched, but overall 'Bridge were struggling to get any pattern to their game with the commanding figure of Will Hawksworth coordinating the Baildon defence and the midfield battling for everything in front of them. As their confidence grew Baildon began to mount the occasional attack of their own with Diamond saving well from Reynolds and Georgios Tientsios, Reynolds getting a negative response to a justifiable penalty appeal which was forgotten about on 28 minutes when he pounced on a slip by Jack Herron to a Jonathan Baines cross to rifle home the opener which Diamond could only help on its way into the net. The expected 'Bridge comeback never materialised and it was the visitors who should have increased their lead just before the break. The half time dressing down seemed to have achieved its objective when Philpott floated a free kick into the top corner, only to find themselves back in arrears within five minutes. A corner from Baines was partially cleared and when it was played back in by Hawksworth 'Bridge were caught square leaving Mick Haran to volley home the second and it got worse seven minutes later from a Hawksworth free kick which found its way to Chris Thompson who was thwarted by Diamond and then Ryan Haswell only for Baines to hit home the rebound. Paul Scaife rattled the bar for the home side as they tried to respond but as frustration, resulting in four cautions, and individual errors replaced cohesion it took a glaring miss from Andy Kenyon to deny Baildon their fourth after Diamond had pushed a blistering Ian Webb free kick onto the post. 'Bridge certainly could not complain at the result and it was not the desired preparation with a Hulme Cup Semi-Final this coming Saturday against a Knaresborough Reserves team who had just demolished Baildon first team by a four goal margin.
Man of Match - Paul Diamond
23/11/13 - Sherburn White Rose Reserves 2-5 Boroughbridge AFC Reserves - League
After recording a nine nil win against Sherburn White Rose Reserves earlier in the season, 'Bridge Reserves travelled to Finkle Hill in confident mood of getting back to winning ways. However, first team call ups for Stephen Coles and Ross Mardon, plus the absence of centre halves Jack Herron and Ryan Haswell, meant a depleted Reserves squad. On the morning of the game, Josh Donnelly was unavailable due to illness, so Jordi Halifax was called up from the 'A' team for his debut in goal. Carl Allen & Ben Johnstone were also called up to replace the two first team bound players, whilst Barry Pryce was summoned into the squad to bolster the attacking options. Both teams started poorly, with 'Bridge particularly struggling to keep possession for much of the first 30 minutes. It was a swift counter attack that would break the deadlock, when 'Bridge broke and in a moment of rare quality and Jake Fletcher's defence splitting pass in the 27th minute allowed Paul Scaife to fire into the bottom corner without breaking stride. The visitors added a second in the seven minutes later after good hold up play by Jake Fletcher resulted in him being fouled on the edge of the home team penalty area. Scaife was quick thinking and after consultation with the referee, he coolly side footed the ball into the corner, leaving the home keeper dumbfounded. The home side were slowly beginning to cause the 'Bridge goal some concern, however, with Halifax struggling to command his area from set pieces, but in the 44th minute another 'Bridge counter attack collected them a third goal when Jake Fletcher split the home defence once more and Phil Wix fired beyond the home 'keeper.

'Bridge Manager Elliott Sheeran, despite the three nil scoreline, was unsatisfied by the team's first half display and adamant that an improved second half performance was required. The home side having a similar message from their Manager began the second half looking eager to improve on their first half display and set about reducing the deficit. They were given a glorious chance to do just that when Craig Peacock was adjudged to have pulled down a home player in the box and the referee pointed to the spot but fortunately, the chance was squandered. Luke Fletcher was replaced by Tom Smith in the 'Bridge midfield, providing fresh legs, but within two minutes the home side managed to scramble home a goal through Jamie Clarke when the visitors failed to clear a corner. The goal gave them hope and the 'Bridge defence began to come under lots of pressure, resulting in another substitution as Barry Pryce replaced Phil Wix in the 66th minute. Pryce was full of power and running, which gave the home defence lots to think about and offered 'Bridge an option to relieve some pressure, and it was from another counter attack in the 69th minute that Scaife provided a fantastic cross for Jake Fletcher to nod home. The three goal cushion was back, but if anyone thought the game was won, they were wrong when Rob Wilson notched a second at the far post in the 76th minute. Game on and in the 79th minute, a second penalty award to Sherburn offered a chance to reduce the defiict further but this time Halifax made a fantastic save to deny Wilson and protect his team's two goal advantage. 'Bridge continued to cope with the home side's attacks and despite a few missed opportunities on the counter attack, in the 86th minute Carl Allen released Scaife for him to complete his hat trick and secure all three points.
Man of Match - James Bottomley, Jake Fletcher & Paul Scaife
30/11/13 - Boroughbridge AFC Reserves 4-1 Howden Clough Reserves - League
'Bridge had Ross Mardon and Stephen Coles returning from bench duty together with Tom Hussell back from suspension and with their central defensive pairing still absent the resourceful Coles was given the job of partnering James Bottomley leaving Everard switching flanks to accommodate Hussell. The home side looked the more lively at the outset with Hussell, Ben Johnstone and Jake Fletcher linking well on 'Bridge's right but it was the visitors who had the first shot in anger with Calvin Rowe firing a 25 yard free kick into the arms of Josh Donnelly. 'Bridge responded with an excellent volley from Coles to a Paul Scaife corner which had goal written all over it until Nathan Fletcher pulled out a spectacular save with Luke Fletcher volleying over from the rebound. Scaife was next to be denied only this time it was the post which got in the way before they took the lead on 21 minutes when the reliable looking Nathan Fletcher made a hash of a Jake Fletcher effort to leave Ross Mardon with the simplest of chances. A lacklustre period where neither keeper was troubled was enlivened by a back pass from Rowe which rolled agonisingly past the post after the 'keeper kicked fresh air and five minutes later a Scaife free kick somehow found its way to Coles and his miscue trickled into the net past a despondent Fletcher. The catalogue of errors continued three minutes later and it was the turn of Josh Donnelly to drop a Declan Bickers corner at the feet of Oliver Lunn for an easy tap in to half the interval deficit. The second half, however, was a tetchy affair littered with free kicks consequently neither side was able to get any rhythm to their game and the two goals were gift wrapped and handed on a plate. Jake Fletcher and Paul Scaife had been replaced by Phil Wix and Marcus Philpott respectively and within minutes Wix optimistically chased a through ball from Mardon which proved worthwhile as another air kick from the 'keeper left him with an open goal. A clash between the 'keeper and Wix minutes later left the 'Bridge player prostrate but the resulting free kick came to nothing and Wix had to be replaced by Sheeran for the last ten minutes. It would have been fitting after four slapdash goals to finish on a high note only expectation is sometimes too high and so it proved when a long clearance was played back to by Rowe to his 'keeper who had advanced off his line and scrambling back he could only help the ball over the line. He did retrieve it when two foot over the line and as goal line technology is not available at Aldborough Road it was left to Philpott to capitalise. This was a workmanlike performance from a developing 'Bridge where mistakes rather than creativity gave them the edge but one positive to come out of it was the performance of Coles who deservedly garnered the majority of the Man of Match votes for his defensive display. This coming weekend they can expect a much sterner test when they host County Amateur side Campion Res in the third round of the County Challenge Trophy, kick off 1 p.m..
Man of Match - Stephen Coles
07/12/13 - Boroughbridge AFC Reserves 0-1 Campion Reserves - County Trophy
As the score intimates Campion just edged this Challenge Trophy tie but 'Bridge certainly made a good fist of it against their County Amateur Division One opponents. The visitors who could boast three County Challenge Cup winners in their side started positively using the width of the pitch to their advantage and raiding down both flanks but 'Bridge, to their credit, were resolute. Playing five in midfield with the Barry brothers, Sadio & Mamado at the hub of most things it was Campion who enjoyed the better of the possession and after Chris Hellewell had two penalty shouts turned down Chris Graham hooked wide after a clash with Josh Donnelly. Paul Scaife had a couple of shots wide of the mark and then fired over 'Bridge's best chance of the half ten minutes before the break. The stalemate looked likely to last to the break until Campion got a free kick on the edge of the box in the 44th minute and Graham's powerful effort got a slight deflection on its way to leave Donnelly helpless. The onus was now on the hosts to push forward but they were unable to make much impression on the Campion defence and it was the visitors who came closest to scoring with swift count attacks, the first of which resulted in Ali Fisal hitting the post and shortly afterwards Hellewell was wide of the mark. 'Bridge continued to work hard and gradually they came more into the game with Luke Fletcher just off target from a Scaife corner and Jake Fletcher unable to get any purchase on a header when in a good position. Tom Hussell and Phil Wix were causing problems down the wings and ten minutes from time Scaife missed a glorious opportunity firing over the bar when clear on goal. Dissent in the ranks of the visitors was an indication of their increasing apprehension but they had the experience to slow the game down and in the end 'Bridge had to be satisfied with what might have been.
Man of Match - Sam Everard, Tom Hussell & Craig Peacock
Official Boroughbridge AFC Club Partners 2015/16
Boroughbridge AFC
John Ellis Builders
Boroughbridge AFC
The Three Horse Shoes
Boroughbridge AFC
Reed Boardall
BOroughbridge AFC
The Black Bull Inn
The Club would like to thank all our partners and sponsors for the 15/16 season. For information on how to sponsor the Club, please see the Sponsors section.